The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
CTC01

Which 1847 Walker Replica?

I have grown fond of the 1847 Walker Colt in the years since I started educating myself on some of the firearms of the old west.
I'm thinking of picking up an 1847 Walker replica. Now I know ZERO about the replicas available and I dont own any black powder firearms. I've read the sticky on black powder revolvers. Didnt realize all the extra work involved in black powder but I would like to broaden my horizons, plus it would be a blast to touch off that monster pistol.

Any opinions on the replicas avalible

I really like the Walker but I know the Dragoons have updates and maybe better if I'm going to shoot it very much.

Thanks for your feedback

Todd
Old December 31, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Hawg

If you want a new one Uberti is the only one still making them. The Dragoons don't have the problem with the loading lever dropping. They're not as massive and hold less powder too.
Old December 31, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Beagle333

'Gotta love a Walker!

Go Uberti. Mine is from 1990 and is still going as good as day one. Plus.... if you ever need parts, they still make parts.

(and mine has never dropped the loading lever.... ever. YMMV)
Old December 31, 2012, 09:49 PM   #4
BirchOrr

Hawg is right on the money (as usual)

A Walker is a true "horse pistol". I think everybody should have at least one! There are "fixes" for the loading lever drop.

A Uberti/Walker was the first BP pistol I ever owned. Still have it. Bought it new. I like the "fit and finish" of the Uberti line. I believe Uberti to be one of the top producers of repro arms in terms of quality.

With mine, any load 45gr or more of Goex/Swiss will drop the loading lever. Question to Hawg (or anyone else)... Whats the most real BP you ever loaded/fired from a Walker?

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 31, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Willie Sutton

"Question to Hawg (or anyone else)... Whats the most real BP you ever loaded/fired from a Walker?"

Stuffed absolutely as full as the cylinder would accept......

They seem to shoot best with about 45 grains though, in my admittedly small amount of experience (250 shots or so thru my Uberti)

Willie

Old December 31, 2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Beagle333

That's dead on, Willie. Full is fun, but 45 is best for hitting something.

("Full" being the point where you have to get out yer jackknife and scrape off the end of the ball so's the cylinder will still rotate after you load em all. )
Old December 31, 2012, 09:57 PM   #7
BirchOrr

Holy Macrel Willie!

That's about 65gr of BP!

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old December 31, 2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Willie Sutton

("Full" being the point where you have to get out yer jackknife and scrape off the end of the ball so's the cylinder will still rotate after you load em all. )

Yup... that's exactly what I meant when I wrote "full".

There is nothing like ramming a ball and then "Damn... I can't rotate the cylinder" to get your attention...

I know we are supposed to measure loads, but the way old Willie figgured it, the way these were loaded in haste was to just fill the cylinder to over-flowing, blow a bit off, press down the load with your finger, seat a ball, and ram her home. So, wantin' to be authentic and all... well... let's just say the Rangers could do this without blowin' themselves up, if Uberti is anything like the real McCoy.

45 grains seems the sweet spot, which brings us to the fact that a 3rd model Dragoon is likely a better shootin' iron than a Walker... but everyone needs a Walker or two anyhow. Bearin' in mind that they are a .45-60 pistol and all, and considerin' how well a .45-70 load works in a rifle...

Designed to shoot a man (or his horse) at a hundred yards... yup, that's for me.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; December 31, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:23 PM   #9
CTC01

Thanks for the feedback guys. Good info.
You guys are going to talk me right into this!
Old January 1, 2013, 12:11 AM   #10
BirchOrr

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Good info.
You guys are going to talk me right into this!
Welcome to the insanity friend!

Quote:
Designed to shoot a man (or his horse) at a hundred yards... yup, that's for me.
Indeed it was. For over 100 yrs. the Walker was the most powerful handgun in the world... UNTIL the .357 mag. Pretty impressive!

B
Old January 1, 2013, 06:35 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

My two cents worth...

My thought is that you can't go wrong with an Uberti pistol. Another option would be a used one but don't expect to save all that much money.

I have an ASM which is a nice pistol

As regards the Dragoon in comparison with the Walker, I am thinking you will want to consider owning both.

I used to hate the looks of the Walker and declared that I would never own one. Well you know how that goes.

Now I have decided that I don't like the looks of the Paterson and th LeMat. So I am saving my pennies.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:25 AM   #12
Beagle333

Quote:
Another option would be a used one but don't expect to save all that much money. As regards the Dragoon in comparison with the Walker, I am thinking you will want to consider owning both.
Doc is right on that! I've often thought of getting a second Walker (there are some guys on here who post pics of matched pairs and rigs that will just bring tears to your eyes) but I'd have to pony up almost full price even for a used one.
And I been jonesin' for a 2nd model dragoon for years, but again...the used market is right there with the new.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:35 PM   #13
robhof

robhof

I was like Doc about never owning one til there was this unbid on one on GB and I put in the minimum that passed the reserve and ended up with it. It had a blurry pic and few details but at $150, I took a chance and it was an unfired ASM and had only a few handling marks. I quickly fixed the unfired part and I've put in the max a few times, especially when the 357mag and 10mm croud are at the range. I usually shoot with 30gr and it's like a loud 22, no real recoil, due to the weight and 30gr gets a lot more balls down range per Lb of powder.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:24 AM   #14
CTC01

Quote:
I used to hate the looks of the Walker and declared that I would never own one. Well you know how that goes.
I know exactly how that goes. I used to think the British Enfields were sooo ugly but now I have 3 of them.

Sounds like a new Uberti is the way to go.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Todd
Old January 3, 2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Rondog

Here's an interesting Walker for ya. Not mine, I couldn't bring myself to do this to my beautiful new Walker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3537.jpg (204.6 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3539.jpg (235.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3541.jpg (241.3 KB, 31 views)
Old January 3, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
CTC01

Wow!

Could not do that to one.
Kind of a neat "snub" though.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:47 PM   #17
RedBowTies88

WOW that snub is cool! I wonder how much velocity you would loose with that
Old January 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #18
Hawg

What a disgrace.
Old January 3, 2013, 07:39 PM   #19
deerslayer303

OUCH, Poor pistol.
Old January 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #20
Willie Sutton

^^^ Funny thing is that if one of the regulars here took a beater Walker bought on GB for $200 and did this to it, and wrote up a report on how, and why, and how it shot, and how he thought that someone "might" have done this in the old days, and said he was going to put snake-shot into it and carry it on the ranch, we would all be congratulating him....

Willie

Old January 3, 2013, 10:11 PM   #21
Hawg

Quote:
we would all
No, not all. I'm usually the only fly in the ointment tho.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:45 AM   #22
Rondog

That Walker snubbie is featured in a thread on The High Road titled Walker Avenging Angel, or something like that. He has a video of himself shooting it, the fireballs are awesome. And apparently this isn't an uncommon thing to do to C&B pistols, there's photos in the thread of others done that way. A photo of three display boards covered with them, in fact, and they're not Italian replicas either, but originals.

I have my Uberti Walker, which is gorgeous and gonna stay that way. I also have two Pietta 1851 Navies, one I bought new and the other is a beater I got for $100. Kinda eyeballin' the beater and rubbin' my chin a little......
Old January 4, 2013, 08:06 AM   #23
CTC01

Wonder if you need a special permit for an 1847 Flame Thrower!!!
Old January 4, 2013, 06:54 PM   #24
unknwn

Only if you mate a shoulder stock to it,