The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 24, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1
DA.Worboys

Need Help with over under

I recieved an older over/under that says its a navy arms brand gun, but the original box says modle 80 L.M. and navy arm didnt make one. its an older gun with the reciever hand engraved. the barrel says it was made italy followed by F.PEDRFTTI Gardone V.T. Brescia. the reciever has just engraving on the left side, the bottom is engraved with FP and gardone v.t. above it, and on the right side its engraved and also has MAUSER engraved on that side. the choke tubes that it came with are all course threaded. the gun is a single trigger, has auto ejectors, and can load 3 inch shells. i was wondering if anyone might know any information or value of it. any replys would be very helpfull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0120100027.jpg (24.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 1208092057.jpg (94.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 1208092058.jpg (109.0 KB, 71 views)
Old January 25, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
oneounceload

Does it have any markings on the underside of the barrels when you remove the forearm?

Does the barrel SAY it can take three inch shells or are you just finding they fit?

Factory choke tubes aren't that old of a concept - could they be aftermarket?
Old January 25, 2010, 11:52 AM   #3
PetahW

Just because unfired 3" shotshells will fit in the chamber doesn't mean that the gun is chambered for them, or that it's prudent/safe to fire them in it.

FWIW, shotguns chambered for a shorter shell, like a 2 3/4" are long enough to accept an unfire 3" shell because the 2 3/4" chamber has to be long enough to allow the shotshells' mouth crimp to unfold/open w/o obstructing the passage of the shot charge and raising pressures.

If a shell too long for the actual chambering (like a 3" in a 2 3/4" chamber) is fired, the unfolded crimp has nowhere to go in the chamber, and so lies in the tapered forcing cone between chamber and bore, which obstructs the passage of the shot column, raising pressures dramatically.

European shotshell barrels have to be proved & marked for their chambering - usually underneath the barrel flats in centermeters. A 3" chambered barrel will have a "70" mark, while shorter chambers will have marks like "67" or "65", besides the gauge marking.

Your shotgun looks like one of the many hundreds made by small family business' ( F.PEDRFTTI ) and/or guilds in the gun-making center of Italy, the Gardone Valley, aka Val Trompia.
IIRC, Brescia is the region - like Americans might refer to New England (except it's a smaller area, of course).

While some of the establishments made entire guns, many simply made only parts (like barrels or actions) with others fitting & assembling the guns.

Last edited by PetahW; January 25, 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old January 25, 2010, 05:43 PM   #4
DA.Worboys

the gun is stamped to chamber 3 inch shells and the choke tubes are the original.

under the forearm, he top barrel has CAM. 76 with a 18,5 about a inch away from it and on the bottom barrel it has KC1, 540 stamped with 18,4 about one inch to the right of that.

so from what im hearing the gun is indead a navy arms gun probably a modle 90 but the reciever was made in italy by a seprate company.

all of this has been very helpful and much appreciated
Old January 25, 2010, 08:22 PM   #5
PetahW

Navy Arms was an importer of guns from all over the world who named/numbered the various imports with whatever they felt would make them more appealing; F.PEDRFTTI the Italian gunmaker of that gun, among many others like it, I would think.

Old January 25, 2010, 10:01 PM   #6
DA.Worboys

alright that makes a little more sense. im gonna have to do a little more research on F.PEDRFTTI and see what i can find. so far your the only one that has give me any kind of info on the gun that actually make sense. i'v asked many different gunsmith's and i work at the gun counter at Dick's and nobody has been able to even come close, so thankyou so much!!
Old January 26, 2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Doyle

The reason you can't find much information on it is that it just wasn't imported into this country in large numbers (nor was it even produced in large numbers). Italy and Spain have LOTS of small mom and pop firearms manufacturers that make shotguns (mainly over/unders). The vast majority of these firearms never leave their country of origination. Some are not well made. Others are fine, well crafted firearms. Unfortunately, its hard for us here in America to know which brands are good and which are not.

When I was in Italy in the Navy, I stopped into a few gunshops and got to handle the locally made stuff. Some of the wood they use there is beautiful.
Old January 26, 2010, 09:24 AM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
A 3" chambered barrel will have a "70" mark, while shorter chambers will have marks like "67" or "65", besides the gauge marking.
Just for clarification, a 3" chamber will be marked 76, a 2-3/4 is marked 70mm.

The 18,5 is the diameter in mm of the bore. Other markings will be from the proof house of the origin country along with the proof pressure tested in metric designations
Old January 26, 2010, 11:06 AM   #9
DA.Worboys

yea im just starting to get small problems with like i had the firing mec worked on twice and a little bigger one is the choke tubes are starting to crack. when the choke tubes started going and i started looking for more thats when i really started looking deep into on what the gun is and where is came from.

i originally wanted to use the gun as a bird or any kind of upland gun but hearing all this im not thinking its the greatest idea and im not a gun collector by any means. been looking onto remington and franchi over unders. but first i wanted to figure what i have first incase it was somthing i could use but now i might be looking into upgrading.

once again i cant thank everyone enough!!

Last edited by DA.Worboys; January 26, 2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 09:26 PM   #10
DA.Worboys

so i found the certificate of authentisity to the over under finally except it was all in italian so it took me a while to translate it. it said

arms factory F. Pedretti

stating that the gun and was subjected to the tests required the force of law from the bench of test of national small arms of the Gardone valtrompia. the official mark stamped on the weapon and the certificate validating the excess bulk of evidence
The depth of the chamber cartridge, the diamertro soul to 23 cm. the breech and the weight of the barrels are stamped on the same
Old January 30, 2010, 06:08 PM   #11
Jeremiah/Az

The 18.5 mm would be .755 bore. A rather large bore for a 12 gauge.
Old January 30, 2010, 06:19 PM   #12
oneounceload

Actually, it's .735 bore, the normal bore for 12 gauge. Kolar makes the largest bore at .750....