The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 25, 2013, 03:21 PM   #1
simonrichter

.222 rem

Since you guys on the other side of the big pond are seemingly piling up on stuff, it's getting harder and harder to get said stuff here in good old Europe. You're welcome, by the way .

Originally I simply wanted a reasonable priced .223 bolt action, but at the moment, it is impossible to get a hold on one. Yet my LGS has a used CZ 527 in .222 Rem as the only varmint-class bolt action available. Ammunition costs are more or less the same as for .223, as this was my first concern. I also read that .222 is, apart from becoming more and more exotic, a nice round to shoot and quite precise.

My only concern is the noise level. I need something that is as hush as possible for a centerfire, since the private gun range I can use is located in a valley and even though remote, something like .308 would still be too loud. My very first plan was, thus, a .22 Hornet since I read that this one has a quite moderate muzzle bang. Is .222 Rem comparable or much louder?
Old October 25, 2013, 03:31 PM   #2
jimbob86

Two questions:

What are the laws regarding sound suppressors in Austria?

Do you handload?

I ask the second question because muzzle blast can be reduced with proper handloading ......
Old October 25, 2013, 03:37 PM   #3
simonrichter

neither.

Sound suppressors are a completely no-go in Austria (yet we are still better off than many countries as far as gun laws are concerned, but the EU is catching up on us as well...)

And no, I don't reload...
Old October 25, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
NoSecondBest

There's not a significant difference in noise from either caliber. I've owned both. The 222 was probably one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned and for varmits out to 250 yards it can't be beat. Virtually no recoil either. Choosing between the 222 and the 223, I'd opt for the 222 for your intended purpose. What kind of varmits do you have to hunt over there?
Old October 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #5
jimbob86

Quote:
And no, I don't reload...
Here, then, is a good reason to start!

Muzzle blast can be reduced significantly by choosing a faster powder than the ones producing the top velocities .....

I know that muzzle blast and recoil can be reduced from making reduced loads for my kids to hunt with .....

Taken to an extreme, you can even make "Gallery Loads"- subsonic loads using light charges of pistol powder under cast bullets in rifle cases ......

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html
Old October 25, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6
simonrichter

...very interesting!

The Finnish are among the last, together with the Swiss, to hold up the banner of a (somewhat) liberal firearm law in Europe.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:29 PM   #7
jimbob86

I can't find it right now, but Oleg Volk had an piece somewhere saying that some European countries not only allowed suppressors (IIRC, he said they were referred to as "sound moderators" over there), but required them in some areas ...... France, maybe?
Old October 25, 2013, 06:17 PM   #8
Old Stony

The .222 is a dandy little target round and is regarded as a very accurate cartridge...provided the rifle is accuracy capable. You might notice a slight louder report from the .222, but marginal. The Hornet is a fun cartridge too, just better with a little shorter range.
Old October 25, 2013, 06:34 PM   #9
jimbob86

At one time, the .222 dominated the smallbore benchrest game ...... until the introduction of the 22PPC.
Old October 25, 2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Been there

The .222 is a very quiet round in the first place, in most cases the report is not heard more than a 100 -200mts away, in a valley with average foliage.
The Hornet is very limitted in terms of suitable projectiles, powder capacity & range.
As you live in Europe, you will have no difficulty finding high quality rifles chamered for .222.
Old October 28, 2013, 08:25 AM   #11
simonrichter

Quote:
As you live in Europe, you will have no difficulty finding high quality rifles chambered for .222
It is difficult finding ANY particular rifle or particular caliber since you guys in the US buy up everything...

Thanks for the inputs, anyway.

Don't know about silencers in other countries, btw. Could be right about the silencers e.g. in France, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Last edited by simonrichter; October 28, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old October 28, 2013, 09:10 PM   #12
Colorado Redneck

CZ American in 222 Rem

Is a really nice little rifle for target and sport shooting. Having had both the 22 Hornet and .222 Rem in that rifle, it seems to me the 222 is somewhat louder. Not a lot, but noticeable. The Hornet is limited on range even though I have read reports of them being good for 300 yards or more--I was happy with it out to 200 yards max.

Since your original choice was a 223, the 222 is much closer ballistics wise. Brass is impossible to come by here in the US unless you buy the premium stuff.

Good luck with your project!
Old October 29, 2013, 12:24 AM   #13
Been there

''It is difficult finding ANY particular rifle or particular caliber since you guys in the US buy up everything...''

I'm in New Zealand, Sako, Zastava ( also known as Remington 799), CZ and Baikal,still offer .222 rifles.
Old October 29, 2013, 08:17 AM   #14
hornetguy

I shoot the .22 K-Hornet, an "improved" version of the Hornet. I normally get velocities on the lower end of .222 ammunition, with a 40gr bullet at 3100fps. It is not terribly loud, certainly not in the range of a .223, and I imagine the .222 would be very similar to that.
The original Hornet is a lot of fun to shoot, but I wouldn't think it would be good for small varmints (fox, large rabbits) much beyond about 200yds or so. The K-Hornet probably stretches that to 250yds or so, and the .222 would probably give you at least another 50-75yds.
I had a TC Contender carbine with a 16" barrel in the original Hornet that would shoot about 1.25 -1.5" at 200yds, so it's not a matter of accuracy. It's just beginning to run out of steam a little bit out there. It will certainly kill varmints at that range, but you would be losing some of the "explosive" characteristics of a varmint bullet.

Tags
.222 rem , varmint