The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2010, 09:43 AM   #1
TX2010

Mossberg Side Saddle Lockup

I keep a Mossberg 500 for home defense. I installed a side saddle to hold some extra shells not too long ago, but have not fired it since. I took it out the other day just for a routine check, and attempted to cycle the action to remove the shells. The action cycled, but the shells remained in the magazine tube...i.e. not one chambered. If that weren't enough, the trigger is completely locked up? I have heard that these side saddles can lock up the action...is this the case?
Old October 23, 2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Could be, take it off and see what happens.

My advice to everyone, when adding ANY accessory to a defensive arm, shoot the heck out of it with the new stuff on it and see if it will glitch WHILE LIFE AND DEATH DO NOT RIDE ON THE RESULTS.
Old October 23, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3
911JB

I attached my side saddle with velcro. As strange as that may sound it does work well. It is strong enough that I can pick the gun up by the side saddle but still be able to quickly remove the stored ammo from the gun [side saddle and all] when it's time transport the firearm. Plus any side saddle will work on any gun. I am using a 870 saddle on my 500.

Old October 23, 2010, 10:50 PM   #4
jokester_143

I thought about doing that myself...
Old October 26, 2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Kmar40

I had this happen. The saddle is interfering with the pump. You think you're racking it all the way to the back, but you're not.

Dump the side saddle. The next thing that could happen is the hardware backing out and blocking the elevator. Had that happen too.

If you insist on keeping the side saddle, you need to get a shorter front stock (or to cut off some of the rear of the front stock you have now).

Those sidesaddles look all tacticool ninjaish but they're one of the easiest ways to make a completely reliable shotgun unreliable. They also throw off the balance of the gun in my opinion.

Tags
mossberg , side saddle