The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 26, 2011, 12:05 AM   #26
Rusty W

I didn't have the chrono set up for the AE ammo. It was the first box of ammo with a brand new gun and I couldn't wait to shoot it. The battery was dead on the chrono anyway. Got a house full of batteries, AA, AAA, C, L44,357, CR2032, CR 2025, CR 2016, even a motorcycle battery or two, think there's a 9V in the house? Nope.

I don't really pay much attention to book spec. COAL. It's a suggestion to me but not the final word. I put the bullet where it fits/works the best.

In working with the 32mag in a single six, a fellow on another board suggested a load combo I tried. Using H110, fill the case to the base of the bullet, weigh the powder charge. Subtract one grain and use a small rifle (yes rifle) primer. It worked so I tried the same with the .327 and compared the charges I came up with, with data I've found in Handloader & online, it came close so I started on the low side & worked up. I lost a couple cases due to splits so I stopped. Never got sticky extraction, just split cases. The industry standard says the case length is 1.20, I've yet to find one that long, but I only have about 500 on hand.
Here's an article I gathered some information from. http://www.gunblast.com/Freedom-Harton327.htm
It was a tough decision between the GP100 & the Blackhawk. I have both already, the GP a .357 and the Blackhawk a .45 convertible. I shoot single action 90% of the time so I just went with the Blackhawk. I may wind up with a GP in the near future though. I really like the .32's. Easy to load for, easy on powder & my lead supply. The .327 is a great little round, people should really just give it a chance.
http://www.sixguns.com/range/327Federal.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01-25-11_1123.jpg (210.4 KB, 72 views)
Old September 15, 2011, 09:29 PM   #27
Colorado Redneck

327 loads with Unique

Last night went to the indoor range. I like Unique. Use it for 38 special and 357 and 44 special. So, since there doesn't seem to be any data for the 327 Fed Mag using Unique, I just jumped off the cliff and made up some stuff. the loads I settled on were as follows: WARNING! THESE LOADS ARE NOT SUPPORTED BY ANY MANUFACTURER AND MAY NOT BE SAFE IN YOUR GUN!!!
100 gr XTP
Rem 7 1/2
Fed Brass
Unique 6.0 gr.

Same deal except 6.4 gr. Unique

The firearm used is a Ruger SP101 with 3 inch barrel. The loads sounded hot and felt good. The load with 6.4 gr shot just under a 3 inch group at 7 yards off hand (which is good for me---made me smile). Primers looked fine and no cases sticking. Couldn't use the chrony inside. Someday I will get to the outdoor range and chrony these and post the results here.

The more experience I have with this caliber and revolver, the more I like it.
Old September 20, 2011, 03:56 PM   #28
FrankenMauser

As of the time of this posting, Midway has Federal .327 brass in stock. ...And at a reasonable price (compared to the $38 per 50 they announced last year).

$24.49 per 100 pieces, brass.
Old September 20, 2011, 05:27 PM   #29
Colorado Redneck

^^^

What Frank said

Looks like Federal would produce 50,000 cases and put'em out to retailers.
Old September 20, 2011, 05:53 PM   #30
VTRich

Midsouth has the Federal Brass for $20.18 per 100. Showing Low Stock

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...0129P327UPB100
Old October 4, 2011, 10:33 PM   #31
FrankenMauser

From Handloader issue 274 (October 2011), "Magnum Revolver Loads with Alliant Power Pro 300-MP", pages 20-23, we have a little bit of data.

.327 Federal loads were tested in a 7.5" Sparrowhawk.
No OAL is stated.
Code:
Bullet                   Charge (grains) - Velocity (fps) - Primer   -    Case      -   Velocity Spread (fps)
90 gr Sierra JHC                 13.0         1,451          CCI 550      Federal              47
         "                       14.0         1,498            "             "                  37
         "                       15.0         1,554            "             "                  77
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
100 gr Speer JHP                 12.5         1,331            "             "                  30
         "                       13.5         1,400            "             "                  37
         "                       14.5         1,460            "             "                  32
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
115 gr Speer Gold Dot            12.5         1,301            "             "                  55
         "                       13.5         1,402            "             "                  50
         "                       14.0         1,436            "             "                  48
At first glance that data is a bit disappointing (to me - compared to my 5.5" Blackhawk). But, a statement within the article shows that this particular Sparrowhawk is producing slow velocities with factory ammo, anyway: "Incidentally, PP 300-MP is the only powder I have tried that made it possible to duplicate and exceed .327 Federal Magnum factory loads..."

I take that to mean that the 115 gr Gold Dot load is exceeding factory velocities in this Sparrowhawk (though still short of my Blackhawk's 1,480 fps - oddly).

So... if one of us has a wild hair looking for an anal orifice to enter... PP 300-MP may be worth a shot.
Old October 4, 2011, 10:41 PM   #32
Sevens

Heh... I have another thread going about that powder.
Not everyone in the thread is as impressed as I am with the numbers Alliant says they can get with .357 Mag using that new powder.

I see that the guys at Handloader are using a magnum pistol primer... Federal/Speer uses small rifle.

Did we ever determine if a small pistol primer is the same thing as a small rifle non-mag primer? It's not the flame intensity/burn duration, it's the more robust primer cup that the round is asking for.

Thanks for sharing this data! But did they include no other data worked up with other powders?

And did you send Handloader an e-mail about who they fellated to get those Sierra 90 grain bullets?!
Old October 4, 2011, 11:17 PM   #33
FrankenMauser

Quote:
But did they include no other data worked up with other powders?

And did you send Handloader an e-mail about who they fellated to get those Sierra 90 grain bullets?!
What you see is what you get.
The article covered Magnum revolver cartridges, with the experiment based solely around PP 300-MP. (.327 Federal, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .454 Casull)

I had that same thought when I saw that bullet in there, as well. Apparently, it pays to be a butt kisser ... err... gun writer.

Quote:
Did we ever determine if a small pistol primer is the same thing as a small rifle non-mag primer? It's not the flame intensity/burn duration, it's the more robust primer cup that the round is asking for.
I never got a clear answer on the CCI 550 (SP Mag) / CCI 400 (SR - standard) debate.
I sent three emails to ATK about it (a generic ATK address, and two to a CCI address). They didn't reply to any of my inquiries. That brings ATKs communications with me to a grand total of nothing. They have never answered a letter, email, or phone call I have ever mailed/sent/dialed.
Old October 5, 2011, 01:37 PM   #34
Sevens

I've contacted Alliant powder through their website and I've always gotten a reply in fairly short order from Ben Amonette. He handles the questions submitted to the "ask the experts" button.

While this is through the Alliant powder site (merely an ATK holding) Ben's e-mail address is at ATK.com.

Ben.Amonette <at> ATK.COM

I'll bet you get a reply.
Old October 7, 2011, 02:48 PM   #35
FrankenMauser

Ben replied:
Quote:
The small pistol primers probably have a thinner cup due to the lower pressures generated by these type cartridges. I do not know what the difference in priming mixture might be. I do not recommend interchanging these primers. Thanks for your note and have a nice weekend.
I give up.
Old October 7, 2011, 02:56 PM   #36
Sevens

Quote:
That brings ATKs communications with me to a grand total of nothing. They have never answered a letter, email, or phone call I have ever mailed/sent/dialed.
Quote:
Ben replied:
I win!

I do believe I've mentioned in the past that I have went to Ben a number of times for help suggestions with the .327 Federal at the load bench and he's not been of a heap of help.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:50 PM   #37
Sevens

I finally bought a chrono, and was able to chrono four different .327 Federal concoctions. Nothing earth shattering here, but at least it's true data, and not simply anecdotes!
I hope to keep experimenting and updating as I do.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 11.5gr Alliant 2400
1,229 FPS low, 1,342 FPS high and 1,286 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 12.2gr Alliant 2400
1,288 FPS low, 1,385 FPS high and 1,341 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 7.5gr IMR 800-X
1,415 FPS low, 1,517 FPS high and 1,477 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP loaded to cannelure over 9.4gr Accurate#7
1,442 FPS low, 1,481 FPS high and 1,462 FPS average.

Stuff that matters
Platform is 5.5" Ruger Blackhawk .327, Stainless
Brass was all non-nickel FC brass, multi-times fired
Chrono was Chrony Beta Master on it's maiden voyage (idiot running it!)
Elevation was a few feet above sea level in Ohio, 86 degrees and super sunny with not near enough of a breeze.

NOTICE!
The load data with Alliant 2400 powder is halfway made-up and half-way taken with reference to Alliant's craptastic online source. Do not consider this as a "published load" because it isn't. But IME, this is not a heavy load and is more than safe. Standard caveat: I really like Alliant powders but someone needs to be publicly flogged over their available load data. Alliant, you suck. Signed: everyone.

The load data with the IMR 800-X is a max load as per Hodgdon's online data center. Feels like there is room to go up, but 800-X published data -ALWAYS- stays low when it feels like there is room to climb...I might guess that 800-X gets goofy at some point. Also, it's murderous to meter this stuff-- it's like running Corn Flakes through your powder measure.

The load data with the Accurate#7 is a published max load from Accurate. this one does "feel" like it's running near the red line in blast and recoil (for the cartridge, I mean, c'mon!)

Please use common sense if you wish to try and replicate these loads by starting lower and slowing working toward them. And if you do...please share your results!
Old June 6, 2012, 03:23 AM   #38
Sevens

A couple new .327 Federal loads shot and chrono'd.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 4.8gr Bullseye
1,174 FPS low, 1,273 FPS high, 1,242 FPS average.

71gr Win FMJ, 1.482" COAL over 4.8gr Bullseye
1,278 FPS low, 1,332 FPS high, 1,310 FPS average.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 5.6gr Bullseye
1,386 FPS low, 1,471 FPS high, 1,440 FPS average.

71gr Berry's Plated RN, 1.482" COAL over 6.6gr Bullseye
1,541 FPS low, 1,616 FPS high, 1,590 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.6gr Longshot
1,316 FPS low, 1,384 FPS high, 1,359 FPS average.

85gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 7.2gr (MAX) Longshot
1,404 FPS low, 1,512 FPS high, 1,471 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.0gr Longshot
1,213 FPS low, 1,283 FPS high, 1,243 FPS average.

100gr Hornady XTP, loaded to cannelure over 6.7gr (MAX) Longshot
1,378 FPS low, 1,426 FPS high, 1,402 FPS average.

Please note the two MAX loads listed -- these data came from Hodgdon's online Reloading Data Center.

Also note: all the light 71gr bullet bullet loads using Alliant Bullseye are NOT PUBLISHED LOADS and came from nowhere other than my bench. As I do not have pressure testing equipment, I have no idea where a published max might be. I can tell you that even the 6.6gr load gave no visible signs of excess pressure in a Ruger Blackhawk with 5.5" barrel.

These loads were chrono'd on a sunny day, about 72 degrees.
Old June 6, 2012, 05:22 AM   #39
FrankenMauser

I really wish we didn't have such different tastes in powder. That's some good data, that could be quite useful.

On a separate note... I think I need to give up on trying to borrow a chronograph for .327 testing. I may have to just buy my own. (Or, maybe rent the one at the range I occasionally visit. ...if it hasn't been shot yet.)
Old June 7, 2012, 03:09 AM   #40
Sevens

You talk crazy! Those are good powders I'm using, why don't ya give them a twirl?
Old June 7, 2012, 06:17 PM   #41
FrankenMauser

I have some 2400 on hand. I just haven't gotten around to loading it, yet. (Or maybe I loaded it, but haven't tested...)
I haven't spent much time at the reloading bench in the last 9+ months.
Old June 17, 2012, 04:05 PM   #42
FrankenMauser

Starline changed their mind about .327 brass, apparently.

It's available on their website, in lots of 500 ($110) and 1000 ($193).
Starline .327
Old June 19, 2012, 10:01 PM   #43
DanM-AZ

Wow! Backordered already! I'm glad I got my order in as soon as I saw FM's post. Thanks for the tip!
Old August 10, 2012, 10:17 PM   #44
DanM-AZ

Now that I've got brass, I tested my first set of loads, so here's my contribution. Distance for the group data was 15 yards off a sandbag that moved every time I fired

Fun gun though! It's the perfect trail gun that I've long been looking for.

Old January 6, 2013, 11:51 PM   #45
Sevens

Good news & bad news!

The Good news: I rolled some totally new loads and range tested them yesterday. At short range, all were beautifully accurate and absolutely safe with zero signs of high pressure of any manner.

The Bad news: It's winter, it's cold. I have not chrono'd these loads. I absolutely will do that when the weather is warmer, but it'll be a while. I've already got a bunch of them rolled specifically for chrono testing and I will update this thread with those results. I did want to post these thus far anyhow, for two reasons. First reason is that I handloaded for a couple decades, pure unbridled SUCCESS without a chrono, so I'll never ever EVER subscribe to any mantra where a chrono is "required" for this ballgame. Second reason is that having these posted here NOW will remind me and spur me to post chrono results after I've clocked them.

On to the goodies!

All primed with CCI-400, small rifle primers.
All Federal non-nickel brass, many times fired.
All bullets are Hornady, loaded to cannelure for a COAL, iirc, of 1.460".
All fired from my 4.2" barrel Ruger GP-100.

85gr XTP over 13.3gr Alliant 300-MP
85gr XTP over 14.7gr Alliant 300-MP
*WARNING! This is -not- published data from either Alliant or Hornady, I used the load data provided by Handloader magazine and graciously posted above by FrankenMauser as my guide for building these loads.

85gr XTP over 13.0gr AA#9
85gr XTP over 14.2gr AA#9
*WARNING! This bullet weight/powder combination is NOT supported by published load data from Accurate. I based this on their published max load for the 90 grain Sierra bullet with a published max of 15.0 grains of AA#9.

100gr XTP over 13.3gr Alliant 300-MP
100gr XTP over 14.3gr Alliant 300-MP
*WARNING! This is -not- published data from either Alliant or Hornady, I used the load data provided by Handloader magazine and graciously posted above by FrankenMauser as my guide for building these loads.

100gr XTP over 12.0gr AA#9
100gr XTP over 13.0gr AA#9--this is a published MAXIMUM load
*These loads are published in Accurate's edition 3.5 guide and as noted, the last load is a published maximum load.

What I observed...the lower loads shown powered by Alliant Power Pro MP-300 were really calm, cool and collected. if chrono testing should happen to show these lower loads as returning some speed, it'll make for a really slick load as they are a pleasure to shoot.

The heavier charges of Power Pro MP-300 were much more harsh and ballsy, more what you'd expect when going full-bore.

HOWEVER...all of the Alliant Power Pro MP-300 loads were noticeably more tame, more predictable and more sedate than -ANY- of the tested loads with AA#9. Here is where chrono results would sure be a nice addition to this post! The AA#9 loads were very large in blast, fireball and felt recoil.

All of the above loads showed NO signs of excess pressure with regards to primer inspection, brass inspection, ejection of brass, erratic discharge or erratic results on target. I feel 100% safe in making more of these.

Because of the way the short range trip unfolded, I was able to shoot these at *gulp* only seven yards. Please don't flog me. On the flip side, we are talking one hole groups for much of them, when I was trying my best. Proper accuracy testing has -NOT- been undertaken.

Much thanks to FrankenMauser for adding those bits from Handloader to our thread. I feel good about going forth with something, anything, rather than winging it entirely.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:57 PM   #46
FrankenMauser

Thanks for the update.

I might be able to do some more .327 testing, at some point in the next decade...
(It's becoming increasingly more difficult for me to get out and shoot. )

I know I have a bunch of .327 ammo loaded for testing, but I can't even remember what the loads are, right now.
Old March 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #47
Low Friction

Finally reloaded some 327. First time I've ever reloaded so it took a little time to figure out what I'm doing.

Recycled all (300rnds) of my once fired Federal AE 100gr brass. They were all fired out of my GP100. After sizing they were in the 1.196" to 1.200" length. Trimmed them all back to 1.19". How many reloads do you guys normally get before you need to trim cases?

Loaded a few up with 12.6gr of H110, XTP 100gr JHP, CCI 400 sm rifle primers. I'm heading to the range tomorrow.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:45 PM   #48
A pause for the COZ

Hey a blast from the past. Glad to see I am not the only 32 cal lover here.
Pretty much my loads have been listed 85 gr XTP's ahead of 2400 and 100 gr XTP's ahead of H110.

But I shoot lots and lots of cast bullets using 32L and 32H&R brass.

Hey has any one run across a carbine for the 327 yet? I still cant figure manufactures out. This is the perfect round to use in a carbine to take some small game.
I know I want one.
Old March 2, 2013, 11:27 PM   #49
Sevens

I'd have to actually refer to the log and do a bunch of math to find out how many rounds of .327 Federal I've handloaded... but if guessing I'd say I'm a couple thousand in.

I've never trimmed a piece of .327 Federal brass and I have no intention of ever doing so. I've lost a couple pieces to lengthwise splits, but those were (of course) some of the nickel variety. Thus far, case life is nothing to (yet?!) be concerned with.
Old March 3, 2013, 03:06 PM   #50
FrankenMauser

Quote:
How many reloads do you guys normally get before you need to trim cases?
I haven't trimmed anything, yet. ...and have no plans to do so.
Everything I've measured has been consistent enough that I didn't care.

I haven't lost a case yet, either. However, I think my most-reloaded box of .327 Fed brass is only on its 4th reload - so it's a bit too soon to call that one.
(I shoot more .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long.)