The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 20, 2001, 09:10 AM   #1
JNewell

A funny thing happened with that 870 I bought a while back. It's an old Wingmaster that was used by a local agency for clearing seagulls at a nearby airport...was very, very cheap.

Anyway, the barrel (28" vent rib) rotated a little disconcertingly around the mag tube. More annoying, the bolt didn't lock up very well. I put it in the back of the safe (it was bought as a backup anyway) and put any concerns in the back of my mind.

This morning I dug out a nearly unused 18.5" barrel from a PM that I put a Vang barrel, to see if anything would be better. Well, this barrel is very tight on the mag tube and locks up like the door on a brand-new Mercedes.

I guess the old barrel is worn out! No surprise, and for the price, no complaints. But I'm wondering whether anyone else has experienced this kind of wear with an 870? As mentioned, these guns were very heavily used, but with a new barrel this 870 is clearly prepared to go back into Timex mode (remember the old commercials? :-) )

Old April 20, 2001, 01:36 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

J, the lockup on an 870 has nothing to do with the receiver, The bolt locks into the extension on the bbl,new parts, new gun.

As for heavy use, a qualified yes. My HD 870 may have gone 10,000 rounds, but it got a new bolt when I had it Flextabbed. The old bolt and breech parts may be the ones in my parts gun,but they could have been in the other one I did also.No idea there on wear, it was an Arlington, Va, cruiser gun.

I bet that one pumps really smoothly.
Old April 21, 2001, 07:11 AM   #3
JNewell

Dave, tnx as always for coming back on questions...

"new parts, new gun" -- Yup, the old barrel did lock but had to be slammed pretty hard. Nice to have it lock up normally.

How much did the flexi-tab conversion cost you? I am thinking about putting that on the list to get done some time.

I should add that this old 870 (which, by the way, is -very- smooth) with an 18.5" barrel is quite a contrast to its stablemate. The extra weight on the other 870 (especially mag extension, Sure-Fire forearm light) really make it muzzle-heavy. I will probably leave this one basically as is, though I will replace the follower, safety button, and a few smaller parts like that.
Old April 21, 2001, 08:14 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Memory is untrustworthy, J, but if mine is working the job ran about $25-30 in the mid 80s. The smith was/is a friend, tho.

As to the need....

When my smith bud explained what it was, I had been using 870s for 20 years and more. NEVER had a shell come back on me and tie up the shotgun.Still haven't for that matter. other than deliberately induces ones.

Did it because he knew his stuff and I trusted him, rather than observed a need from sad experience.OTOH, when instructing for the state, I had to clear up a number of tie ups from unmotivated, semi-trained and lackadaisical personnel too dumb to pour urine from a boot with the instructions on the heel.

IMO, Flextabs are nice to have on a personal weapon, and an absolute necessity on agency weapons.Proper loading technique and knowing a clearance drill diminish the need for the Flextab to almost zero.

Also,I'd keep that one shy of addons, you've got a good hunting/clay games/practice shotgun there with the same controls and chops as you primary HD tool. Take it on down to the range and have fun with it. A plain bbled, riot 870 makes a good fun gun for Sporting Clays, and a great quail gun.