The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 27, 2012, 08:03 PM   #1
tepin

SBR Engraving Advise

Any advise on naming a trust?

I am thinking of something generic for engraving purposes like:
"0459 TRUST, Anytown, MN"

Any thoughts? Some suggest on other boards that the name of the trust should contain the first, last or full name of the individual e.g. "FRED SMITH TRUST" so that the name matches a state ID. Seems somewhat paranoid to me considering I would have a copy of the ATF paperwork and declaration of the trust on-hand for inspection..... which brings up another question. Has anyone ever taken a SBR to the range and had someone call the cops because it was believed the shooter was in violation of the NFA? My guess is most "regular" folks wouldn't know a SBR from any other AR.

Thanks
Old April 27, 2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Superhouse 15

When I worked at a range we always checked paperwork unless it was someone we knew well. We found a lot of blatantly illegal guns, too.

As for naming it, I saw someone who posted a pic of their Form 1 for the "In God We" trust. I personally think the whole name is just adding to the cost of the engraving. I see no reason no to use initials and mayne a trust number (I have a lawyer who suggests a separate trust for each NFA gun). Instead of the John Quincy Public Junior NFA trust #5, just do the JQP5 trust.
Old April 30, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

The public state range near me formally checks paperwork regularly.

The public privately owned range I went to in Columbus just asked some non-confrontational questions that gave them a pretty good idea if it was legal or not, or at least that you knew it was supposed to have paperwork.
Old April 30, 2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Mrgunsngear

I suggest naming the trust your family name. I did anyways... That way, it helps to establish that the gun in question is indeed yours.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Rob62

Unfortunately my trust name is my first, middle, and last name all spelled out. That plus the "Revocable Living Trust" and city and state requirement is a LOT to have engraved.

If I had to do it all over again I would name my trust something very short - probably just my initials.

Every public range I have ever shot at wanted to see a copy of my approved Form 1/4 when shooting an NFA item.

Rob