The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2012, 08:11 PM   #1
billythekid7.62

Browning sa-22 part fell out of receiver

Recently acquired a Browning sa-22 when i went to fire it, it did not fire. upon further inspection i found a piece of metal in chamber shape like a 22 round and after nudging fell out. I am not very familiar with 22 semi autos as i have only worked and taken apart bolt action rifles. I found this schematic for the sa-22 but cant decide which is the missing piece I thought it might be #22. wondering if i can fix this gun or do i need a gunsmith.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0...l/Semi-Auto-22
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Piece from browning.JPG (90.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg full browning.JPG (108.2 KB, 73 views)
Old October 8, 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
dmazur

The piece of metal appears to be part of the magazine assembly and is not supposed to go into the chamber. I would call it a "follower" for lack of an actual Browning term. I believe #22 is the firing pin. Not the same shape.

It is usually held by the magazine spring, which may be damaged. Something had to fail (rust?) to permit that follower to fall off.

As these aren't listed as separate parts, I'd try to replace the entire magazine assembly.

(A quick inspection of mine doesn't show any easy way to take any of it loose...)
Old October 9, 2012, 12:51 AM   #3
Scorch

Correct, that is the magazine follower. It is usually held in place by a roll crimp in the magazine tube. Sounds like it needs a new magazine tube or a trip to the doctor.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:45 AM   #4
dmazur

Here's a source -

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...embly/B2166861

This is for the more common .22LR version of the SA-22. The same source has one for .22 Short. Check the marking on your barrel before ordering.

If there is nothing else missing, replacing this part should fix it. I believe this is "drop-in" (no fitting necessary).

However, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a gunsmith look the rifle over if its history is at all questionable.
Old October 9, 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
billythekid7.62

thank dmazur that looks like it and thank you both for the description, im taking the gun apart now to check everything out as i found this video for field stripping. to me this was a intimidating gun to take apart until I watched this. I will post up some pics of the guts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFu_IiqcK0
Old October 9, 2012, 07:35 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like the Remington Nylon 66, those little Brownings feed from a magazine in the stock and the cartridge is literally thrown into the chamber. If the crimp in the inner magazine tube (#29) failed, the follower would end up in the chamber.

But, if that happened, the inner magazine tube should have a spring sticking out of it, since there is no follower to keep it in. So remove the inner magazine tube and look at it. If there is a "bullet" shaped piece of steel sticking out the front, it would seem to be OK and the piece you have is an extra follower that somehow ended up in the gun. If the follower in not in the tube, then the extra piece is the follower and needs to be put back in the tube and the tube crimped to hold it in.

The spring should have a tight coil or two at the front, which spring over the small "knob" at the rear of the follower and make an assembly so that the follower won't come free from the spring.

Jim
Old October 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #7
billythekid7.62

I took everything apart. the spring is sticking out of the magazine assembly when I put the follower back in the spring it was fairly snug and it seems i just need to crimp it onto the end of the spring.
as to the spring and follower being inside the inner magazine assembly tube. I dont see how it would be held in and judging from the picture of the replacement part it doesnt look like the spring comes crimped inside the tube. I think the spring is supposed to be sticking out a few inches so the "follower" follows the last round up to the receiver. I have never taken this gun apart before so i dont know what the magazine assembly should look like when it comes out of the gun. what does evrybody think can i just recrimp the spring onto the follower?

replacement part:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...embly/B2166861
Old October 9, 2012, 08:34 PM   #8
dmazur

My Japanese Browning had the spring/follower sticking out of the magazine tube since it was new...

I believe that is required to turn the "angle" between the stock and the bolt. If the follower was crimped at the end of the magazine assembly ("tube"), the last couple of rounds would never reach the bolt or be chambered if the muzzle was elevated. (And we know John M. Browning would never design something with a defect like that.)

So, the picture linked is the correct shape. Follower and spring stick out of the magazine assembly. Some of the Browning drawings are wrong, and don't show the extended spring.

My concern about suggesting that the follower just be stuck back in the spring is that something had to fail for it to come off in the first place. If the spring is damaged, then a new spring is needed. And since it is only available as an assembly rather than individual parts, that's the suggested repair...

ETA: Closer examination of the magazine assembly makes me believe there is a second loose-coil spring and a stop inside the tube itself, with the tightly-coiled spring attached to the steel follower serving as a flexible follower. This is a very clever design. The .22LR is short enough to follow the curved path around the top of the bolt, provided there are several of them and additional cartridges are pushing from the rear. However, when you get down to the last 4 or 5, the magazine follower has to provide the push. The problem is, the magazine tube has to be straight. So you need something that will straighten itself to fit inside the magazine tube initially, then bend to go around the corner to feed the last few. And I think the steel plug at the end is just something that would stop at the last cartridge and allow the bolt to miss it. A coiled spring might snag on the bolt and wear...

I am guessing, of course, as to the design. But that's what it looks like.

Last edited by dmazur; October 9, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 08:48 PM   #9
billythekid7.62

cleaned the gun top to bottom and crimped the follower into the spring took it on the back 40 and she shoots like a dream this gun is awesome after forty rounds I did have a jam so I will replace the magazine assembly eventually. Now Im going to get the rust off of it and reblue. thank you guys so much for the help, saved me some money and more importantly taught me a bit.

John Moses Browning I tip my hat to you sir what a accurate, simple, reliable gun even after 35 years of abuse.

Also if anyone has ever heard of a replacement stock for this gun that does not cost almost $200, (maybe synthetic) please let me know