The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 23, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1
bclark215

ruger super blackhawk

I recently got a ruger super blackhawk bisley hunter in .44 mag. Im planning on buying some wolff springs and making a set of black walnut grips. I was also hoping to polish it to a mirror finish and then bead blast the cylinder leaving 2 thin pinstripes around the cylinder in my blasting cabinet. I cant decide however if I should polish the frame and blast the cylinder like I said or do the opposite. I want it to look nice and stand out. What are ya'lls opinions on how I should finish it (im open to other suggestions and I have the ability to cerakote)? Also besides changing the springs is there anything else that I can do to improve this gun. I do enjoy gunsmithing however im nowhere close to a professional. I was thinking about chamfering the cylinder and possibly recrowning.
Old December 23, 2013, 11:13 PM   #2
bclark215

What about color case hardened frame with black cerakote barrel cylinder and trigger guard?
Old December 24, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
PetahW

Izzit stainless, or carbon steel ?

Old December 24, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Personally, I'm just jealous that you have one....

I would keep it simple.
Perhaps two tone, but fitting the more classic style.

How about a polished cylinder, trigger and hammer and the rest deep blued together with some wooden grips that ooze character.
Old December 25, 2013, 12:32 PM   #5
bclark215

Its stainless with a brushed finish. Im thinking now that since this gun will be used quite a bit that I want to reduce the ammount of polished area. I really think that the finger prints will show. Im thinking that im going to bead blast most of the gun and possibly polish the cylinder trigger and hammer. I also like the blueing idea and am going to look into it. I do want to keep the classic look and dont want to change it too much and make it look funny.
Old December 25, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
bclark215

This is the gun right now im going to start by making some custom grips.
Old December 25, 2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Pond, James Pond

I believe that bluing and stainless don't play so well together: I seem to recall reading that somewhere on here.

Otherwise, rather than the brushed finish, how about a finer frosted finish (sand-blasting?) with, as you say, polished trigger, hammer and perhaps the grooves of the flutes if it has any or a pair of polished rings as described in your OP: one thicker than the other.

BTW, if you attached a picture I didn't see it in the last post.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:40 PM   #8
shortwave

Not my 'cup-o-chemicals' but this might be of interest:

www.shootersolutions.com/ssgunblue.html
Old December 25, 2013, 11:38 PM   #9
codefour

What do you mean by chamfer the cylinders..?? I'm just curious. It's a single action with a loading gate.

I have a Ruger SBH Hunter in a Bisley frame. It's my favorite hunting revolver.

I put a Wolff Spring kit in it and polished the sear. The trigger is a crisp 2.5 lbs now. It made all the difference. Made that creepy drag In The trigger pull go away.

I do not know about bead blasting that gun. I polished mine a bit and now I just wipe it off. It worked great.

Grips are VERY hard to find. Making custom grips would be best if your are capable. I am not.

Order a Belt Mountain base pin also.
Old December 26, 2013, 12:06 AM   #10
TennJed

Quote:
Originally Posted by codefour View Post

Grips are VERY hard to find. Making custom grips would be best if your are capable. I am not.

Order a Belt Mountain base pin also.

custom grips for the Blackhawk and vaquero are easy to finds. Lots of quality makers out there. Do most of them not do the super Blackhawk ?
Old December 26, 2013, 11:49 AM   #11
PetahW

The gripframe/grips of any Bisley model is vastly different than standard Blackhawk & Super Blackhawk's - why some find aftermarket grips troublesome to locate.

Several of the larger/commercial grip makers carry Bislry-style grips - Like Eagle Grips (below) & others.

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/BISLE...ey-Frames.html

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Premi...uger-Bisl.html

http://www.sackpeterson.com/models/bisley.html

http://www.tombstonegrips.com/mm5/me...ory_Code=Ruger

http://www.buffalobrothers.net/shop/...%26cid%3D13%26

I've had grips done by Eagle, Ajax & Sack Peterson, and can heartily recommend any of those, via personal experience.

Last edited by PetahW; December 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM.