The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 30, 2010, 07:57 PM   #1
Dukezern

Over Pressured?

I reloaded many years ago and have gotten back into in about a year and a half ago. I have reloaded a few rounds (about 300) for my uncle's .22-250.

Here's the question...I first started reloading for him using 90% max loads. The powder is H-414, 40.2 grains. Bullets are Remington 55 gr. PSPs. Now, everything he originally handed me was once shot brass. I reloaded them at 90%, and everything was fine.

After he shot those up, he asked me to load them to the max, which was 41.2 grains of H-414. The twice shot brass was fine, but the brass that had been shot three times were extremely difficult to get the bold open. I checked for split casings and bulging but didn't see any. Still, it was very, very difficult to rotate the bolt to get the spent casing out.

When the bolt sticks like that, does it means the rounds are over pressured?

Thanks, guys!!
Old April 30, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Yes. By a lot.
I find 40 gr H414 to be a gracious plenty in .22-250.
Hodgdon shows 39 gr as Maximum for a 55 gr bullet.

No doubt you are working out of some other handloading manual.
It is wrong.
At least for that lot of powder and that rifle.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:18 PM   #3
riverwalker76

WoW!!!

Way over charged.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:18 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Were you full length sizing the brass or neck sizing only?

The cases will have to be full length resized occasionally to avoid extraction issues, particularly near max load.

Did you check the length of the brass and trim if necessary? Overly long brass can grab the bullet and cause dangerously high pressures.

Quickload doesn't seem to think that load is over limit (though it is close) with standard settings, but there are too many variables in chamber capacity, seating depth and COAL, among other things, to say for sure without concrete numbers.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Dukezern

Thanks, Jim. That reloading data came from the Hornady 7th Edition handbook. If you have a copy, look it up on Page 197, H414 Max loads are 41.2 grains.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Dukezern

Thanks, Peetzakilla. Yeah, I did full length resize them, and was very careful on the trimming. Measured each one after the trim, and seated them at a COAL of 2.350. Everything was fine until I increased the charges to the max of 41.2 grains. That's when the problems started.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Measured each one after the trim, and seated them at a COAL of 2.350. Everything was fine until I increased the charges to the max of 41.2 grains. That's when the problems started.
That being the case, I would have to agree that you are over-charging for that particular gun/bullet/powder/case combination.

I don't suppose that you had a chronograph for the velocities? Do you have a fired case that you can use to measure the capacity in H2O?
Old April 30, 2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Dukezern

I do have a chronograph but forgot the stupid thing that day. At 40.2 grains, the MV was 3614. Hornady says it should be 3600, so I was okay with that. And don't forget, Peetzakilla, it only happened on casings that were shot three or more times. The ones that were twice shot, even at the max load, were fine. The bolt turned like a charm.
Old April 30, 2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hm.... interesting.

If I adjust the case capacity to predict the reported velocity at 40.2gr, Quickload predicts 57,489psi at 41.2gr, with a velocity of 3714fps. That should be well below max.

Most curious that the problem only occurred after the 3rd or subsequent loading. Makes me wonder about case head expansion.

I have theories, but I will leave any further extrapolations to those with more experience...
Old April 30, 2010, 09:27 PM   #10
David Wile

Hey folks,

I have some problems with Dukezern's questions as well as his practices. In his first post he clearly states he is starting reloading after a hiatus of "many years," and that he loaded rounds for his uncle at 90% of the maximum load listed in the Hornady 7th Edition manual. His uncle shoots them and reports that "everything is fine," and then he wants Dukezern to load the next batch "to the max." The max load apparently caused some extraction problems after it was shot two or more times.

One of my concerns is the whole idea of loading for someone else at a requested level of 90% of maximum. This just goes against everything I have been taught and practiced for the past 50 years. When we talk about working up a load, I don't think anyone with experience means you work up a load after starting at a 90% of max level.

My next concern is why one would then feel the need to load to further increase the load to the maximum level? Were the 90% not shooting well? Also, the whole idea of such a loading practice being done for someone else just begs the question of why one would do that? What is next? If full length resizing solves the problem with the bolt sticking, do you then bump the load up to 110% of max if one's uncle wants to try that?

I would think Dukezern should already know that max loads take one on a very short road to very early brass death as well as very early barrel erosion. I am not suggesting that no one should ever be shooting max loads, but when you tell me your idea of working up a load starts from the 90% of max level, I have to wonder if you might need to do some remedial reading about the basics of reloading.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Hey folks,

I did not change the words of my original post, but upon reflection, it seems my comments may be less than courteous to Dukezern, and it was not my intention to do so. I think my concerns about his choice of loadings in working up a load are valid, but my concerns are meaningless if I have expressed them in such a way that I offend Dukezern and turn him away from the knowledge one can gain from this forum. I hope Dukezern will continue participating in this forum, and if I have pushed him away, it is my shame.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Last edited by David Wile; May 1, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: To apologize for offending comments.
Old April 30, 2010, 10:28 PM   #11
Gbro

I see in my Hornady 3rd edition the Max load is 41.5 gr of H-414 for a 55gr bullet.
however, heed the caution that states to use max loads with caution.
I used to load max loads many years ago and thankfully have put those practices to rest.
You are getting indicators of high pressure and to continue to do so even with new brass would not be prudent.
Let uncle load his own if he isn't satisfied.
Just my 2 cents.