The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 1, 2002, 12:32 AM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Interesting Defense Knife

I traded one of my knives off for a knife brand that I never thought I would get. Buck.
This knife make me laugh. The thing is a TANK. If the M1 Abrams was a folding knife, this would be it. The Buck Strider. The blade is like a railroad spike... thick and heavy. No tanto point has ever been this strong. You could stab Chubham Armor with it. You fire this thing out of a 120 MM smooth bore.

The thing is TOO TACTICAL. So much so that it is a DISASTER of Ergonomics. The grip is too grippy, the clip is too secure, the lockup is too tight... its too much. This knife is an odd duck that is for sure... It's G-10 and ATS-34, but its chunky. Its short and fat... The lock up, for a liner lock, is like the top hatch on a submarine.
This knife is about as sensitive and delicate as HULK HOGAN but with out the flair. The point is less Tanto, and more like Metal Chisel. Not a Chisel Point like an Emerson Knife... I mean like a Cold Chisel from your High School METAL SHOP class.
In a nut shell, this knife is ONE TOUGH BIATCH. Like the worst MOTHER IN LAW EVER. This thing is a PANZER.
The cutting edge is sharp... not the sharpest... not like a new Spyderco kinda sharp - but sharp enough to do a lot of cutting... Man, this knife is just STRANGE!
In the morning I am getting out the DREMMEL and removing the square corners around the scales.

There is no way I'd pay for a knife like this. I have no idea what you do with it. It's not like BadGuys go around in platemail armor these days. But its just such an odd thing, I had to trade for it. I still don't know why.

Last edited by George Hill; May 1, 2002 at 01:06 AM.
Old May 1, 2002, 07:21 AM   #2
Kharn

Quote:
Like the worst MOTHER IN LAW EVER.
I must have one immediately. If they have truely managed to compile all of the abilities of even an average mother in law into a knife, it must be one kicka** peice of steel.

Kharn
Old May 1, 2002, 09:18 AM   #3
ronin308

George- I don't know if you've worked w/ G10 before...but its toxic so make sure you don't breathe in any of the dust when you're using your Dremel.

Dan
Old May 1, 2002, 09:25 AM   #4
Inspector Callahan

What's the story on these knives anyhow? Did Strider have anything to do with the design? If so, that would explain the brutal strength.
If you don't understand weapons you don't understand fighting. If you don't understand fighting you don't understand war. If you don't understand war you don't understand history. And if you don't understand history you might as well live with your head in a sack. - Colonel Jeff Cooper
Old May 1, 2002, 09:40 AM   #5
Texas2NC

Looks like my CQC7 on steroids.... I want one.... Don't take the dremel to it, send it to me..

Gonna haveto go shopping now... my wife thanks you
Old May 1, 2002, 10:15 AM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

http://www.1sks.com/cgi-bin/sc/produ...60a3006786406c

This is the Buck Mini Strider Tanto...
They are going for 110, uh, bucks. Some prices are a lot higher, but 110 is average.

The value of my trade was about 75 bucks cash wise.
If someone really wants it. Sure... I'll look at trades.
I'm not attached to this knife. Its not me. I'm not the Teddy Tactical kinda guy. Actually, this is Teddy Tactical's big brother's knife. I got it for a currio more than anything. I still don't know why I got it.
If anyone has a plain edge Spyderco Native with the stainless handle - That would be a slam dunk trade. Of course so would 75 bucks.

Anyways, This thread is about the knife and not making a deal on it. Email me if you seriously want it.

Does anyone else out there have one of these brutes? What do you think of it?
Old May 1, 2002, 11:12 AM   #7
Navy joe

Well I just got the full size folder thanks to a TFL'er and couldn't be happier. It's one tough SOB.
Old May 1, 2002, 11:31 AM   #8
Christopher II

Strider is a good company and their workmanship is first-rate, but they go too far towards the sharpened prybar side of things for my taste. I like my knives to be good cutters, first and foremost.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old May 1, 2002, 11:54 AM   #9
OF

Strider's market is a little different from, say, Spyderco or Benchmade.

http://www.striderknives.com/

- Gabe
Old May 1, 2002, 01:18 PM   #10
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Whoa, reading over Strider's website...
Looks like everything I have said about this knife is an understatement.
I love some of those fixed blade designs. One of them looks very much like one of my designs back when I was toying with knifemaking. These things are cool...
Forged Brutality.
Old May 1, 2002, 01:19 PM   #11
OF

Quote:
These things are cool...
Yep.

- Gabe
Old May 1, 2002, 02:46 PM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Unless a TFLer gives me an offer I can't refuse - I think I might keep this thing.
I've worked G-10 before. This thing needs some contouring...
Any offers before it goes under the Dremmel?
Old May 1, 2002, 02:53 PM   #13
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Geez, that's the ugliest thing I've seen since Hillary.

Wandering Thoughts
Old May 1, 2002, 03:27 PM   #14
Navy joe

George, The more I play with mine I realize it will never replace my Spyderco Native, but it has a place, most likely where I could carry a really ugly folding knife but not a gun. I'm definitely not fonda tactical, but I think I love this knife. Now the native is pretty enough to go almost anywhere, actually bought it a year ago to be my airplane knife. Oh well, looks like I picked a bad week to take up flying
Old May 1, 2002, 05:19 PM   #15
Parke1

Looks a lot like my Benchmade 910 Stryker. Not as nice as mine, but the blade design looks pretty similar. My benchmade is a real workhorse, I don't know how anyone could ever damage that blade.

-Parke1
Old May 1, 2002, 06:06 PM   #16
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

If a Benchmade is a "Work Horse" then this Strider is a freaking Clydesdale.

Anyone want this thing? My wife caught a glips of it and it frightened the poor woman.
Old June 8, 2002, 01:56 AM   #17
Zachary

One word: Overkill

Strider AR with Strider fixed blade
Old June 8, 2002, 08:00 AM   #18
Eric Larsen

Its true purpose was for Superman to wedge it between a broken support beam on a breaking bridge, giving him time to
save the woman and children
Ive seen them...its actually a nice knife. It can double as a carry and a prybar if need be.
I just got my Master Tanto...same thing as the Tanto but the shmansy pants blade. Ill tell you...this has a blade that has the same qualities as the one you have. You expect it to say "ILL BE BACK" with the usual accent!
Shoot/cut well

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush