The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 7, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Chris9472

Just bought a Polish P-64 in 9x18 Makarov

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Polish P-64 01.jpg (204.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Polish P-64 02.jpg (35.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Polish P-64 03.jpg (164.1 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Chris9472; July 9, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Doyle

Congratulations. A P-64 is my main carry gun. You may find that the 17lb main spring is a tad too light. If it is too light, the magazine will drop out occasionally (mainspring does double duty). Most P-64s I've seen do best with the 18lb spring (as did my first P-64). The one I've currently got actually needed a 16lb spring to make the DA pull just right. Each one appears to be a little different.

There is no "manufacturer's name". These were made by the Polish gov't in a gov't owned factory. Radom is the name of the town so that is what they are commonly listed as.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Chris9472

Last edited by Chris9472; July 9, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old July 7, 2013, 06:04 PM   #4
amd6547

My own P64 is a 1974. It was made in Radom by the famous factory "11", as shown by the number in the oval on the right side of the slide.
I bought it several years ago. P64's were new to the market, and nobody wanted them, due to them not being "real Makarovs". Also, the ridiculous trigger pull hadn't been figured out yet.
I paid $139. It was like new condition in every respect.
I have put several hundred rounds through it, with zero malfunctions. It more accurate than it has a right to be.
I did put a heavier recoil spring and a lighter main spring in...the DA trigger is now very usable, and the heavier recoil spring helped moderate the snappy recoil.
I'm no lightweight...I have shot many heavy recoil handguns, including hi-power 44mag loads in various guns.
But I found the little P64 to get uncomfortable after a few mags. In particular, the pinky extension on the mag hurt my pinky.
The heavier recoil spring made it more bearable.
The P64 is a very thin, easy to carry pistol.
Old July 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Doyle

Yes, the main spring is what controlls the DA trigger pull and also holds the magazine retention lever. A monkey could change it out in a matter of minutes. There are only two things you have to be concerned about. First is the little pin that holds the spring in. If you aren't cautious, it will fly off never to be seen again. Use a large paper clip to push the pin out and hold the spring in place until you are ready to remove it. The second thing you need to be concerned with is the grip screw. Use a dab of locktite and don't over tighten it because it WILL crack the grip panely.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:11 AM   #6
Olympus

Re: Just bought a Polish P-64 in 9x18 Makarov

If you're happy with the price that's all that matters.

I bought the same gun from JG Sales a few years ago for $150. Looks brand new and never fired. Actually looks identical to yours. I put new springs in as well and think I spent $20 on those.

It was a carry gun for me for a while and then it got moved to a truck gun. I bought a ton of cheap Brown Bear ammo and doubt i will ever shoot it all up. About 100 rounds at a time is all I want to shoot out of that gun.

Last edited by Olympus; July 8, 2013 at 08:18 AM.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Ibmikey

I have two of the little 9x18 guns, they are very well made, good carry size, a bit heavy for a pocket gun, terrible trigger without changing springs and when firing causes me pain from my trigger finger to the corns on my toes. Guess I'm a wimp but that pistol hurts me. I also have PA 63 and Makarov pistols that are a great deal easier to shoot in the same caliber.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
RedBowTies88

I would recommend the 24# recoil spring over the 22#, I would get a 26 myself if it was available but alas no such luck.

Mine does very well with the 17# mainspring, I've shot about 750 rounds though mine and never once had the mag fall out.

Personally I think widening the rear sight was stupid, and wont really help your target acquisition.. The factory sights are actually great for target shooting and the guns are very very accurate.

Also, although you don't want to hear it you did get ripped off. I paid $160 plus $20 shipping and $10 for the hand select. So overall $190. The bluing on mine is excellent as are most specially hand selected ones. I don't believe I would gain anything by having the gun refinished. I've never seen one with anything wrong with the grips at all or anything work needing done on the saftey. Also, the spring kit was under $20 shipped to my door and took all of about 5 minutes to install.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:00 AM   #9
Skadoosh

My P-64 is vintage 1969 (which makes it the same age as me). As mentioned, it has stout recoil, but is extremely accurate. It is well made and has rather nice bluing too. I especially like the loaded chamber indicator. Whenever I look at it, it reminds me of a vintage 1957 Chevy that can be found rolling around Havana, Cuba....complete with the "wings" for the rear sight notch.

I rarely carry it or shoot it.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #10
Ibmikey

57 chevy? My two P 64's have a pin protruding in the hammer well like a PPK, are there different loaded indicators?
Old July 8, 2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Chris9472

Last edited by Chris9472; July 9, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
amd6547

My FFL charges $25 for transfers. Not sure what winders charges to ship, but the last couple firearms I ordered cost about $25 in shipping.
Widners has the P64 for $239. So, $379 with the work supposedly done on your pistol is "OK", I guess.
They are nice little pistols, and IMHO, may be a good investment.
BTW, Marschal makes a variety of nice wood grips for the little P64:
http://www.marschalgrips.com/hires-p64/P64.HTM
Old July 9, 2013, 08:10 AM   #13
Olympus

There is just no way I'd pay that kind of money for the P-64. At $379, you could easily buy a nice used compact polymer gun in 9mm or 40 that would have been much nicer to shoot as well as being a larger caliber for defense and have better sights.
Old July 9, 2013, 09:46 AM   #14
Doyle

I do think you significantly overpaid. Here is why.

Assuming a "normal" price for a very good condition P-64 is right at $200, let's look at what extras you paid for.

Quote:
1. New Wolfe 22lb recoil spring, new Wolfe 17lb hammer spring and all other springs have been replaced.
2. New extractor, firing pin, new safety detent and plunger.
3. Rear sight notch has been widened for easy target acquisition.
4. Chrome bore is like new with absolutely no pitting.
5. Slide has been re-blued and there is no bake-on finish, just beautiful blued steel.
6. Grips are like new with no dings or dents or scratches.
7. Two magazines included.
Number 1 is worth about $15. It doesn't take a gunsmith to do that - a monkey can replace those springs. Number 2 would never increase value above the normal price - the best it can do is restore a price if it has been degraded due to worn parts. Number 3 is totally unnecessary. Number 4 would be expected from a VGC purchase - no value added here. Number 5 is a REAL downside. Again, a good factory bluing would be expected with a VGC firearm. If it needed rebluing, the BEST it would do is bring the price back up to normal. It would never make it rise above normal. Number 5 would also be expected of the normal VGC purchase. Number 7 seems to be fairly typical - no real added value here.

So, from all that has been done only the spring change added any real value and that was very minimal. I would defininately not paid more than about $250 for that gun delivered (including shipping but not including FFL fee).
Old July 9, 2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Ibmikey

Chris, if you are happy with the pistol shoot it until you are comfortable that it is a good carry pistol and then carry it! I doubt you will lament to others that the recoil is sharp if you have a need to use it for personal protection and you are able to talk about it afterward.
I have had "good deal " purchases and some not so good while others might tell me the error of the purchase, in all cases I keep the item and enjoy.
I built several AR's searching for the build I really wanted, upon determining that build it went into the rack with the others...all get shot and are fun, one is special though and all cost more than going to Wallymart and buying off the rack.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:05 PM   #16
pilpens

You already bought the pistol. So, just shoot and see if it works for you.

I had one a while back when they sold for $150-$170 -- It was like new.
I replaced the mainspring and recoil spring -- lightened the DA pull to but SA pull became scary light. Recoil was painful for me. Sold it.
It was accurate.

I hope you like yours.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:41 PM   #17
RedBowTies88

most of the unpleasant recoil is the result the slide literally slamming into the frame giving you that "whacking an aluminum baseball bat into solid concrete" feeling.

That's why the strong recoil springs help so much, I SUSPECT that a recoil buffer of some sort will also be extremely beneficial to improving the painful reality of shooting this gun.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #18
Olympus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBowTies88 View Post
most of the unpleasant recoil is the result the slide literally slamming into the frame giving you that "whacking an aluminum baseball bat into solid concrete" feeling.

That's why the strong recoil springs help so much, I SUSPECT that a recoil buffer of some sort will also be extremely beneficial to improving the painful reality of shooting this gun.
Not sure, but I suspect a recoil buffer on a blowback design pistol would cause some problems.

I think a wider backstrap would help disperse some of that recoil across a greater surface area as opposed to being all focused in a small area.
Old July 9, 2013, 04:57 PM   #19
RedBowTies88

I think that a thin (perhaps 3/32 thick) piece of rubber would help on the front of the slide stop/ I doubt it would effect the extraction/ejection but I do plan on testing this theory soon
Old July 9, 2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Chris9472

Last edited by Chris9472; July 11, 2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:04 PM   #21
Doyle

Chris, was this the dealer in MD that seems to have lots of P-64s for sale right now? If so, I'm convinced he is trying to take advantage of the current buying mania. My advise is to be patient and watch the auctions. I just did a search on completed auctions and found several that sold recently for right around 200+ that looked very nice.
Old July 9, 2013, 08:07 PM   #22
Chris9472

Last edited by Chris9472; July 11, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old July 10, 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
Doyle

You're right about the current prospects. That's why I advised patience. I watched auctions for 6 months looking for just the right S&W 617 and 629. I found each for about $200 less than I would have paid if I hadn't been patient.
Old July 10, 2013, 10:45 AM   #24
CWKahrFan

Classic Firearms gets some occasionally... They're out-of-stock now but you can get on a notification list and "contact them" for a time estimate... $230:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/hand-...m-p-64-pistols