The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 5, 2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Keg

Hogs by helicopter.....

The Nuge and Pigman killed over 450 pigs in 2 and a half days....This was on the ranch I hunt a part of....note: They were killed and the meat was donated to feed the hungry....Thats a lot of pork....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45418_606859219335013_1027543770_n.jpg (53.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 421545_579878922040067_286179204_n.jpg (92.7 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 859807_606720822682186_1289604420_o.jpg (242.8 KB, 184 views)
Old March 5, 2013, 07:08 AM   #2
TXAZ

Was that with Heli Hunters in East Texas? Any idea on the $$$?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old March 5, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Keg

I have no idea of the cost?
Old March 5, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
sunaj

Gonna throw some fuel on the fire here-
I am opposed to using helicopters to hunt game,
I think it sets a terrible precedent and is incompatible with
hunting ethics
sunaj
Old March 5, 2013, 09:00 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Any idea on the $$$?
Sometime back, we checked into helihunting and could not find a deal for less than $500 per hour, 1 hour minimum, but everyone was willing to break it into 2 half hour sorties. The operation above is in a bigger helicopter and undoubtedly would cost a good bit more per hour, never mind the increase in fuel costs, LOL.

Vertex, minimum of $350 per person, $600 per hour, 3 hour minimum, and they supply guns, ammo, training, and copter, and flight.

Heli Hunters charges....
$1,000.00/hr for one hunter
$1,500.00/hr for two shooters*

$200 minimum for overnight stay for party of 4 (food and drink provided)
$50.00 per additional person
Can accomodate up to 10 people

Quote:
hunting ethics.
Technically and legally, it is pest eradication, not hunting (regardless of how it is billed). As an environmentalist Texas landowner, I am opposed to letting feral hogs roam free and destroy the habitat for native species and destroy native species.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hogs by helicopter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
hunting ethics
sunaj
Hogs aren't "game". They're a destructive, invasive species that is best eradicated at every opportunity. Fair chase rules do not apply.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:11 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

It is a gimmik for TV. On the show they kill only a couple per episode, not very efficient. And, this isn't 'game'. It is supposed to be an eradication effort of vermin. Trapping and/or shooting from the ground would be far more efficient, and far less expensive.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #8
Water-Man

Then don't call it hunting.
Old March 5, 2013, 10:19 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

This discussion will not become a discussion on the ethics involved in eradicating ANY nuisance animal species so long as the discussed methods are legal in the locale the thread is about...

Legal in Texas... Good to go so long as the rules of law are followed...

If you do not agree with the legal methods used, then say so but that is as far it will go...

I am all about the ethics and humane kill etc... For game species as a state's resource...

Heck, i will blood trail a gut shot critter for miles in the worst weather but that black cat I thought I missed with the 20 gauge last week, I just figured if wounded it will die eventually and if a clean miss, it won't likely be back...

Couple days ago I see the dogs playing with a black cat's head... Guess my shot wasn't so low afterall

Brent
Old March 5, 2013, 10:44 AM   #10
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Trapping and/or shooting from the ground would be far more efficient, and far less expensive.
I don't know anyone trapping or shooting 450 from the ground in 2.5 days. As for the cost, it is quite expensive, no doubt, but if people are willing to pay to fund the pursuit as a tourist industry, then why not?

I have only spoken with a few folks who have been helihunting and all killed more hogs in one half hour session than they had ever killed on a given hunt.

It may be a gimmick, but one that yields typically much higher returns for hunters than they ever experience anywhere else. As a professional hunter, Quaca probably hasn't eradicated as many pigs so fast while hunting and Nugent probably has not either.

Heck for all of 2012, the good folks over at Texas Hunting Forum only took 2067 hogs. Most of those folks are your average occasional weekend or holiday hunter/trapper.
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/for...pics/3919937/1

Given all the folks that hunt hogs when they can, most only manage a few hogs per year. That they can pay (through the nose) and take more in half an hour or an hour than they probably would take all year long otherwise is a big improvement. Heck, and given what some folks invest in going on hunting trips, a helihunt cost relative to pigs yielded may actually be economically more efficient than going on a whole series of hunts throughout the year to get the same number of hogs or less. Time-wise relative to hog yield, it certainly would be more efficient.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:41 PM   #11
Keg

Quote:
Then don't call it hunting.
Did U see were I said they were 'killed'..I repeat 'killed'???......We know this is not hunting......as DNS.. Brian..and RM76 said..'pest eradication'......

I just thought some folks might be interested in what was done to help with this problem.....I know of no other way to get this type of result so quickly.....Normally..would take 6 months to a full year and many hunters and trappers to get these kind of numbers.....Anyway..I figure it will be televised at some point in the future.....

DNS..not sure how it was worked out..finances that is.....
Old March 5, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's got to be wicked fun.... The first time in my life I'd want to own an AR.
Old March 5, 2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Husqvarna

they should just invite Franz Albrecht
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBEwY4_Yqc

let him up in a helicopter

sure being up in the air makes it harder but many people in those vids take like 10 shots per pig.

And you mostly see ARs and regardless of legality I would use a bigger calibre, sure shot placement is everything but still
Old March 5, 2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I didn't say my AR would be .223 or even that it would be a "15".
Old March 5, 2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Husqvarna

isn't there one AR calibre that is supposed to mimick 45-70? I'd take that but it be hella hard to judge how much infront AND how much above with it probably being a glorified potatocanon (runs and hides)

now've seen heli hunting, and there is a video with a mini-gun and hog hunting, how long until they combine it?
Old March 5, 2013, 01:32 PM   #16
alex0535

Quote:
hunting ethics
sunaj
This is not hunting, it is more the the tune of eradication. Hogs are a destructive, invasive species, they do nothing but breed, eat, and destroy crops.

450 hogs can do some serious property damage.

Personally I think those 450 hogs are better off feeding the hungry. It is legal, helps those in need, helps quell the impact hogs have on property and other wildlife.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:41 PM   #17
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Trapping and/or shooting from the ground would be far more efficient, and far less expensive.
You think that you can kill the same amount of hogs in two days by stand hunting and with traps that you can in a helicopter?

You can kill the same amount of hogs in a matter of hours using a helicopter that would take you a week or more by more "traditional" methods.

If we can eradicate these by spending more in the immediate time period, it will save a whole lot of money in the long run. Therefore, it will not be more expensive, and it is much more effective.
Old March 5, 2013, 02:11 PM   #18
Keg

Quote:
You can kill the same amount of hogs in a matter of hours using a helicopter that would take you a week or more by more "traditional" methods.
It would take a good while and lots of man hours....The hogs here are still mainly nocturnal....They should start showing themselves soon in the daylight....From now thru summer....
Old March 5, 2013, 02:20 PM   #19
Wild Bill Bucks

A few years back, the Noble foundation, did a survey along with several state departments. They estimated in the state of Oklahoma, there were around 500,000 hogs with a presence in all 77 counties.

In Texas they estimated a population of 2.6 million hogs that do around 550 million dollars A YEAR in crop damage.

I feel like I am an ethical hunter, but living in Southeastern Oklahoma, and close to the northern Texas border, I can tell you this is not hunting, it is WAR.

I makes no difference to me how this vermin is taken out, as long as it works.
If there is the benefit of someone gaining some groceries, then so be it, but I doubt that anyone here is going to feel to bad about how they are eradicated.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:10 PM   #20
sunaj

Well you can call it eradication or whatever,
think what a public hunting festival this could have been
if they would have opened it up to hunters,
all the fees people would have paid going toward game management,
the fun of hunting and resolving an overpopulstion etc.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:25 PM   #21
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Well you can call it eradication or whatever,
think what a public hunting festival this could have been
if they would have opened it up to hunters,
all the fees people would have paid going toward game management,
the fun of hunting and resolving an overpopulstion etc.
When you supply the location, facilities, organizational logistics, and proper permits, arrange for sanitation and range safety, then you can have your public hunting festival. However, while the rest of us are waiting for you to make all that happen, the hog population is going to continue to grow and other people will be implementing their methods for dealing with the problem.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:51 PM   #22
sunaj

That's a lot of fancy words,
let me get this right-
we have a critter that can be hunted all year long,
lots of people are dying to find something to hunt esp in the off season,
this critter has several hundred pound of excellent meat, that is good for human consumption and animal feed,
and you are telling me the only way to solve this problem is to kill them en mass from a helicopter??? Give everyone a break,
Jeeze-we spend $$$ from the public trough raising fish/fowl/game to replenish animal stocks so we have something to hunt/fish, and this is a made-for-hunters scenario;
you know we have landowners here in Ca who are crying about pigs tearing up their property, except these same greedy B* want to charge hunter $500 to take a pig on their land-they are getting what their greed is asking for,
open it up to hunting, make the tags free or nearly free with no limit-and you have some exciting hunting for a lot of people
Old March 5, 2013, 05:56 PM   #23
allaroundhunter

Re: Hogs by helicopter.....

No sunaj, the only way to fix this problem is to kill them en masse by any and all means possible, not just using a helicopter. If you want to hunt them then there are plenty of ways to do that. But hunting, by definition, is a strategy of wildlife management. We are not trying to manage these animals, we are trying to... wait for it..... eradicate them.

Sure, if you want some meat for the freezer come get a hunting license and find a place to hunt and set up a blind. Get yourself a pig and be happy. But you will not be helping us get rid of them simply by killing two or three each year...
Old March 5, 2013, 05:58 PM   #24
sunaj

Nonsense
Old March 5, 2013, 05:59 PM   #25
allaroundhunter

Re: Hogs by helicopter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
Nonsense
That's your opinion. But if you believe that then you are extremely uninformed and unwilling to listen to reason or facts...