The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 1, 2014, 01:45 AM   #26
Brotherbadger

Quote:
If it were a 1:7, I might bite. But, alas, they went to 1:8. Smarter decision for overall sales goals. Would be nice to provide the option for 1:7.
I'd be shocked if they don't eventually offer a 1:7 and a 1:9.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old October 1, 2014, 01:55 PM   #27
Dirty_Harry

Not sure about the 1/9, but I bet they will offer nicer models.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 2, 2014, 07:21 PM   #28
MoBart

Ruger is asolutely a quality design and build every time. Should be worth looking at.

I guess youdon't understand the reason for either the dust cover or forword assist. Guess if all ypu know is what some magazine writer says to pimp a product and sell articles you wouldn't though.
Old October 2, 2014, 09:32 PM   #29
marine6680

The dust cover can be useful for a hunter. Not so much a range toy.

The FA can be useful if you press check and the bolt does not go into full battery.
Old October 3, 2014, 08:24 AM   #30
Dirty_Harry

I agree that the dust cover is not completely necessary all the time, but I like having it. It is always closed when my rifle is in the safe or being transported.

The forward assist I have never used.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 3, 2014, 09:31 PM   #31
BigBL87

If they had gotten it out sooner, I might have gotten one instead of my PSA. Might have to show it to my father in law, he's a big Ruger fan.
Old October 4, 2014, 04:30 PM   #32
Fishbed77

Frankly, I believe your PSA (if it has the chrome-lined or CHF FN barrel) is probably a better rifle. So don't sweat it.

I'm not sure if anyone else here has noticed, but the AR556 uses a proprietary barrel nut and delta ring (with no spring or snap ring). This would appear to limit the compatibility with free-float rails that mount to the stock barrel nut.
Old October 4, 2014, 05:59 PM   #33
9x19

Quote:
I'm not sure if anyone else here has noticed, but the AR556 uses a proprietary barrel nut and delta ring (with no spring or snap ring). This would appear to limit the compatibility with free-float rails that mount to the stock barrel nut.
About the barrel nut/delta ring, Ruger's Spec sheet says (bold, mine):

• Patent Pending Design
• One Person Removal
• Accepts Standard Handguards
• Uses Standard Wrench, Can be Swapped with a Mil-Spec Nut if Desired
Old October 4, 2014, 07:19 PM   #34
Model12Win

I like it, and I think Ruger will sell alot of these.

I myself have been wanting to get into the AR world, this might be my ticket to the show.
Old October 4, 2014, 08:34 PM   #35
Fishbed77

Quote:
About the barrel nut/delta ring, Ruger's Spec sheet says (bold, mine):

• Patent Pending Design
• One Person Removal
• Accepts Standard Handguards
• Uses Standard Wrench, Can be Swapped with a Mil-Spec Nut if Desired
I'm aware it can be swapped.

It's just something for any buyers to keep in mind, depending on what kind of aftermarket forearm they might want to run (and it's obviously a cost-cutting measure by Ruger).
Old October 5, 2014, 10:40 AM   #36
usbp379

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77 View Post
I'm aware it can be swapped.

It's just something for any buyers to keep in mind, depending on what kind of aftermarket forearm they might want to run (and it's obviously a cost-cutting measure by Ruger).
I have one of these new rifles. I've mostly been blasting with it. I did shoot it off the bench at 100 yards to get the sights dialed in but otherwise I've been shooting it at 50 yards and in. I have several hundred rounds fired now, most being steel case Tula, and have had no issues. I've used several brands of plastic, steel and aluminum magazines without issue.

Yes, the gun is a bare bones model and I wish Ruger would have put a bit more thought into the design. I really would have preferred a mid-length gas system. This would have given a bit more real estate on the front handguard as well as set the rifle apart from the DPMS and M&P Sport the rifle will be competing against. I also would have liked to have seen chrome or nitride treatment of the barrel and chamber. Again, this would have helped set the gun apart from the Sportical, etc. While this would have raised cost, I think anyone comparing a couple different rifles on display in a gunshop would opt for a chrome lined bore if the price was equal or close to a similar model.

Regardless, my rifle is nicely assembled with a good upper and lower fit. The trigger is standard GI and is a bit heavy and crunchy. I'll probably swap something else in at some point down the road.

Regarding the delta ring; the threaded collar seems to stay tight and I haven't found it to be loose after using the rifle at all. And I have tried several different brands of handguards, including a Troy 7" drop-in aluminum quad rail, without incident. I might buy a VTAC Delta and put that on. This, along with a better trigger, should really make the gun handle better and shouldn't raise the cost to the point of making a "base" model a bad purchase.

Here's the rifle with the 7" Troy handguard installed:

Old October 5, 2014, 01:43 PM   #37
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Why would anyone want a carbine gas system or fixed front sight?
Oi!!

Watch it! That is what I've just done!!
Granted mine was a Sig.
Old October 5, 2014, 01:54 PM   #38
Ridgerunner665

Well...I for one think the threaded delta ring is good idea.

The first time I disassembled an AR years ago, and without specific tools...I said then that there is a better way to do that.

The spring type works, I know...but that confounded thing is a real PITA to work with if you don't have the tools for it.

I got that rifle apart and back together, but only after a considerable amount of profanity.
Old October 5, 2014, 03:44 PM   #39
usbp379

I'm still reserving judgment on the plastic delta ring. Mine seems to be holding fine and isn't vibrating loose or anything. Even if it does, a simple twist would get it snugged up again.

But how will the threaded plastic piece hold up over time if used in conjunction with a metal forend? Will the plastic get worn or otherwise misshapen? What about in freezing temps or what if I leave the rifle inside my car on a typical AZ summer day? Will the part get brittle or soft under temp extremes?

Time will tell I guess.
Old October 6, 2014, 08:37 PM   #40
usbp379

I think I'm having just as much fun--maybe more--playing around with YouTube as I am with this new rifle!

[video]http://youtu.be/oU8eZgynH28[/video]

[video]http://youtu.be/cCCj1Z9jcbA[/video]
Old October 10, 2014, 09:19 PM   #41
usbp379

Here's another little video in slow motion. Note ejection with M193-type ball. I might mess around with buffer weights just a bit to see what that does.

Ruger AR-556 high speed video: http://youtu.be/Z3Z_VUin_OQ
Old November 11, 2014, 09:51 PM   #42
usbp379

New Direct-Impingement R…: http://youtu.be/UTw3-zIwndQ
Old November 12, 2014, 01:54 AM   #43
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
My load of choice is 75gr so I need a 1:7...
Even a 1:9 twist will stabilize a typical copper jacketed lead bullet weighing 75gr under most conditions. 1:8 should be fine up to 80 grains.

Different rules apply if you're talking about monolithic copper/gilding metal bullets or bullets with steel cores.
Old November 12, 2014, 02:22 AM   #44
Water-Man

It's not bullet weight. It's length.
Old November 12, 2014, 03:39 AM   #45
JD0x0

Quote:
It's not bullet weight. It's length.
It's weight and length.

A 1'' long bullet .308 bullet that weighs 200 grains will have more stability than a 1'' long .308 cal bullet that weighs 150 grains.

as far as 1:9 stabilizing a 75 grain VLD bullet, it likely wont. 1:7 will pretty much stabilize anything you throw at it.
Old November 12, 2014, 08:23 AM   #46
Skans

Quote:
I'm a Ruger fan in general.
But another AR on the market is..well...YAWN
Ditto!!!
Old November 12, 2014, 10:10 AM   #47
skoro

I don't have an AR but the new Ruger looks like it's a good one. I've had a Mini-14 for 6 years and it's been flawless, so far. If and when I'm in the market, that new Ruger will definitely be on my radar.
Old November 12, 2014, 10:58 AM   #48
Water-Man

"as far as 1:9 stabilizing a 75 grain VLD bullet, it likely wont. 1:7 will pretty much stabilize anything you throw at it."

There's plenty of 1:9 barrels that can stabilize a 75gr. bullet and it's unlikely a 1:7 will stabilize a 40gr. bullet.
Old November 12, 2014, 12:50 PM   #49
JD0x0

Quote:
There's plenty of 1:9 barrels that can stabilize a 75gr. bullet and it's unlikely a 1:7 will stabilize a 40gr. bullet.
Notice I said 'VLD bullet' Stands for VERY LOW DRAG, these bullets are built to be particularly aerodynamic and are made as long and sleek as they can reasonably be..

75 grain berger requires 1:8 twist as a minimum. 1:9 will not stabilize unless you're getting some insane velocity out of your setup. generally longer and longer for weight bullets will require a tighter twist. 62 Grain TTSX comes very close to not being stabile in a 1:9 twist (especially in cold temps) because it's an all copper bullet that is long for it's weight.

Also 1:7 should have no problem stabilizing a 40 grain bullet. If anything, it'd be spun too fast, and could cause minor issues by having an 'overstabilized' bullet. There's also a small chance that if the jacket is extremely thin, that the bullet will spin itself apart. No sure what you mean by a 1:7 not stabilizing a 40 grain, but it most certainly will, assuming the jacket is strong/thick enough to allow the bullet to leave the barrel in 1 piece.

You can shoot heavier bullets if you choose something short and stumpy for it's weight, but 1:9 is pretty much limited to 70-75 grain max, if you're talking about spitzer boat tailed bullets.

Last edited by JD0x0; November 12, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old November 12, 2014, 12:52 PM   #50
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
1:7 will stabilize a 40gr bullet just fine. Hell, I've now fired 35gr NTX Superperfomance through a 1:7 twist. No trouble.

1:8 will also stabilize anything that can be fed through a magazine in an AR, so no trouble there with longer, heavier bullets.

1:9 starts to be iffy for 75/77gr. I had a Bushmaster 1:9 that would not shoot it into 5-6" at 100yds. At 200yds, they were missing the target backer. I had a buddy with an Armalite 1:9 barrel that would shoot the same ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards though. My guess is that 1:9 is right on the edge of stability for longer 75/77gr projectiles in any case and that individual variations in barrel may make a difference as well.