The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 8, 2011, 12:58 AM   #1
bamaranger

Advice wanted on bedding Mini-Mauser .223

In an attempt to improve on the accuracy of my .223 mini-mauser, I free floated the bbl, removing the pressure point in the fore end tip, and widening the barrel channel (probably a bit too much for best looks). It is free floated for sure. I felt like I kept enough contact back at the juncture of barrel and receiver to insure no real change there.

When I put the action back in the stock and tightened the stock screws to 50 lbs, the action was "bound", bolt movement was sticky, something obviously amiss. By reducing the torque on the stock screws, the action loosened up, but the rifle will not group near as well as it did. The "bound" action was a real surprise. I have had the action out of the stock before to adjust the trigger w/ no problems, but after fooling with the barrel channel, obviously something has changed in the geometry of things.

There is not really a recoil lug, sort of more like a recoil shelf. The tang area seems very sloppy too. I'm thinking the whole business needs bedded. If after an action bedding, if accuracy does not improve, I will go back and put a pressure point forward.

Any experience in tuning a mini mauser and bedding same welcomed.
Old May 8, 2011, 03:09 AM   #2
Scorch

I did mine, it shoots well. Look for the rear tang pillar, sounds like you lost it. As far as bedding it, same as any other rifle, no special tricks.
Old May 8, 2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Maybe the action dropped farther into the stock and the front guard screw is protruding into the action and dragging on the bolt. I have seen this to happen in a Remington. Glass bedding or pillar bedding would give you a chance to correct that... if it is indeed the problem.