The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 12:46 PM   #1
breakingcontact

Accuse me of being an old man: not sure about extended mags

I see the new Remington 870 (home defense model or some such) has a long one piece magazine tube (like an mossberg 500/590).

Isn't this the way to go? Why don't Remington and mossberg and whoever else ditch the mag extensions and make 1 piece tubes on any of their large capacity guns instead of the extensions?
Old April 4, 2013, 02:26 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Because some folks don't want all that extra weight way out front?
Because some places may have restrictions against them?
Because if folks want to switch to using different barrels, they would then not be able to?

There might be one or two more
Old April 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Because some folks can only afford one shotgun that has to do double-duty. You can't carry an 8-shot 870 into the duck woods. The Game & Fish folks frown on that.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
cvc944

I prefer the field mag tube as standard with the option for an extended capacity mag tube. Perhaps the manufacturers think that there are more customers who like my preferences than customers who don't. Also, there may be a dollar consideration too, like getting to sell another gun part.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Major Dave (retired)

Trying to insert/remove a plug,

for compliance with the 3 shot limit on doves and waterfowl, then no limit for everything else, might be problematic.

As for some not wanting the extra weight, just don't load it to 8 shot capacity, even if it's legal.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Barrel options are not up to those of standard length tube barrels...

And have you ever tried to strap an 18 inch barrel onto a gun with an 8 round mag tube?

Brent
Old April 5, 2013, 07:47 AM   #7
breakingcontact

Re: Accuse me of being an old man: not sure about extended mags

I understand the shorter mag tube allows for different barrels. But I mentioned and am discussing 7/8 round models.

Is it really that common for people to just one one shotgun with multiple barrels anymore vs owning different guns set up for different purposes?
Old April 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #8
iraiam

My father just bought a 870 tactical, it has nearly a full length one piece tube magazine, the barrel lug is much farther forward than on a standard hunting shotgun.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old April 5, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingcontact
Is it really that common for people to just one one shotgun with multiple barrels anymore vs owning different guns set up for different purposes?
Yes, I suspect it is. Why should I spend an extra $400 or more for a new gun when I can spend $50 for a magazine extension that takes about 2 minutes to install or remove?
Old April 5, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10
L_Killkenny

Quote:
A heck of a lot more than you think, hence the popularity of combo (slug and bird barrel) packages. In reality it's a small percentage of shooters that own more than a few guns let alone a whole collection with a separate gun for every possible need/use.
Old April 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #11
breakingcontact

I do feel this conversation is getting sidetracked. I get why some would want the flexibility to switch barrels. However I content that a large portion of gun owners have no need for shotguns beyond defense.

Mossberg has the long fixed length tubes on their 500/590 defense shotguns. Remington now does with their 870 home defense. Will we start to see long fixed mag tubes on 930 and 1100/1187 shotguns and other semi-autos? I believe the FN FLP has a fixed tube.

Is not the long fixed tube more reliable and sturdier than the guns with extensions?
Old April 5, 2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
However I content that a large portion of gun owners have no need for shotguns beyond defense.
I think the veracity of that statement depends on how you define "a large portion." There are still millions of hunters out there and, depending on your jurisdiction, it is possible to use one shotgun for duck, dove, turkey, deer, quail, and who knows what else.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:08 PM   #13
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
However I content that a large portion of gun owners have no need for shotguns beyond defense.
Thanks for being part of the anti divide and conquer strategy...

That's their same reasoning for banning "assault rifles" because you don't need one for hunting

You are also forgetting all of those target shooters

There are more shotguns used for target shooting than there are for HD.

Folks really need to think beyond the 870/500 pump gun as the only shotguns out there
Old April 5, 2013, 03:21 PM   #14
breakingcontact

Ha! What? I'm saying the opposite. You may very well need and want a shotgun for defense and not for birds. I'm no Joe Biden.

I'm saying they have no need for a long barreled low capacity hunting style shotgun. Not that they shouldn't be allowed it, they just don't want it as they aren't going clay shooting, goose, duck or turkey hunting. But not having a need for one to hunt with absolutely doesn't mean you don't have a need and right to have one for defense.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:24 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Yes, but it's still cheaper to buy an extra (shorter) barrel and a mag extension that you can stick back on for HD after you get back from the woods, than it is to buy a whole new shotgun.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:29 PM   #16
breakingcontact

Not arguing that you shouldn't just have one shotgun with different barrels if that's what you'd like.

For my purposes I don't need anything but a short barrel.
Old April 5, 2013, 03:56 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Do you want a short barrel or a shortish barrel. The former needs a short tube. And I hardly consider six round to be "low capacity" and eight to be high capacity. So my hd gun has an eighteen inch barrel and six rounds... so does my hunting gun

Brent
Old April 5, 2013, 04:05 PM   #18
Spats McGee
Staff

I actually do need more than 1 barrel. I need:
  • short barrel for HD
  • short barrel for huntin' the woods
  • medium or long barrel for hunting the fields

ETA: Well, I guess it depends on how we define "need," to be honest. Could I hunt the woods with a long barrel? Yeah, but it's a pain. Could I hunt the fields with a short barrel? Yeah, but I prefer a long barrel for it.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:15 PM   #19
breakingcontact

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingcontact View Post
I see the new Remington 870 (home defense model or some such) has a long one piece magazine tube (like an mossberg 500/590).

Isn't this the way to go? Why don't Remington and mossberg and whoever else ditch the mag extensions and make 1 piece tubes on any of their large capacity guns instead of the extensions?
My original post. Add the words "dedicated home defense shotgun" where appropriate. Read. Discuss.
Old April 5, 2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Why don't Remington and mossberg and whoever else ditch the mag extensions and make 1 piece tubes on any of their large capacity guns instead of the extensions?
Well, I think the short answer is: because Remington and Mossberg thought that shotguns with mag extensions might be more versatile and, accordingly, sell better.
Old April 5, 2013, 07:57 PM   #21
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
I actually do need more than 1 barrel. I need:

short barrel for HD
short barrel for huntin' the woods
medium or long barrel for hunting the fields
And therein lies the rub
MY short barrels are 26"
my medium barrels are 28-30"
my normal barrels are 32-34"
but MY uses and needs are different than Spats
Old April 5, 2013, 09:17 PM   #22
jmr40

I don't see any advantage to a one piece over an extension. Having the extension offers the versatility of having a +2 up to a +5 or more magazine depending on what the user wants. With a fixed magtube you have what you get.

I own a couple extensions for my 870's. I've tried them and really just prefer to keep the standard mag, 4+1 works for me and makes for a quicker pointing lighter gun. I suppose if I ever really felt the need I could quickly set up 2 of my hunting guns with shorter barrels and 7+1 mag capacity. In addition to the longer field barrels I also have a 21" turkey barrel and a 20" rifle sighted barrel.
Old April 7, 2013, 01:43 PM   #23
LED

You are charged with being an old man. You are sentenced to remaining so for life.
Seriously, I for one don't think it a big deal. Stepping back and looking at the current situation, this is the bone I can toss them.
Old April 7, 2013, 02:28 PM   #24
Hawg

I don't have the need or desire to own a shotgun with an extended mag tube.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Rifleman1776

Simply buying into the "need" argument is to lose rights.
As Americans we do not need to explain our wants.
If you want it that is all that is 'needed'.