The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 26, 2000, 09:31 PM   #1
Fisher

I was reading the paper tonight and I notice that the NRA sponsored matches will be starting up again at Camp Perry. I hate to admit this but I have lived in Ohio all my life and I have never been up to see the compitition there. Is the public allowed to go in and watch. Are there any limitations to what the public can watch or what days thay can be there. I would love to take a day off and run up there but I have no idea how to find out what I need to do to get in the place. If anyone has any information or can tell me where I can find out anything please let me know.
Old June 26, 2000, 09:48 PM   #2
jawper

Information from http://data.nssf.org/cgi-bin/display...73&market_id=1

Hope this helps.

Name: Camp Perry Training Site
Address: 1000 Lawrence Road
Port Clinton, Ohio 43452
USA
Phone:
General (614) 336 - 6280
Email: [email protected]
Features:
This is the site of the annual "National Matches" for rifle and pistol marksmanship competition in the United States.

Facility Features:
Clubhouse
Events
Handgun Outdoors
Instruction Available
Rifle Outdoors

------------------
Best,
- Jawper
Old June 27, 2000, 09:20 AM   #3
Matt VDW

Fisher,

Where in Ohio are you? I'm in Columbus.

Getting into Camp Perry is no problem. You just drive up to the gate, tell the MP that you're there to see the matches, and drive down towards the firing line. Be prepared to walk; parking is in short supply during the matches.

As a spectator, you're allowed to get within about 100 yards of the firing line. A good set of binoculars will allow you to see what's actually going on.

The National Matches are divided into four parts: Muzzleloading, Pistol, Smallbore (.22 rifle) and High Power (centerfire rifle). Which set of matches interests you most?
Old June 27, 2000, 09:43 AM   #4
Ned Roundtree

I'm from Kentucky. Our shooting year is scheduled around Camp Perry. Neither the Cowboys nor Bullseye shoots at our club in July. Why? Because everyone goes to Camp Perry. Blue Grass Sportsmans League, Wilmore, KY ......"Home of Team Ultradot"
Old June 27, 2000, 11:24 AM   #5
Fisher

Matt, I live in Reynoldsburg. I would be interested in the centerfire rifles first and then the pistols. Like I said, I have never been there before and have been thinking about it lately. There is just something about the competition and the long range shooting that peak my interest.