The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 27, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
TPAW

Question-Pre-64 Model 70?

I have the opportunity to buy a Win. Pre-64 Model 70 in .308 Cal.
Aside from the basic things to look for on a used rifle, is there anything specific to look for to make sure all parts are original and not parted out with another rifle such as matching serial numbers.
This rifle is in excellent shape and seems to have been a closet queen for many years. The asking price is $900.00.
Thanks for your help.
Old November 27, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2
ZeroJunk

Just pulled one out of the cabinet and if there is a number on the bolt I don't see it. Front hood seems to wander off, and sometimes the rear sight as well.
Old November 27, 2010, 07:44 PM   #3
30-30remchester

Some model 70's had bolts that were serial numbered to the reciever, but not all. I ASSUME this is a featherweight and there are some ways to determine if it is close to original. A few changes were instatuted through the years. About the only way to help is to post some upclose photos. In pristine shape while not uncommon there is always the chance of a rebuild. I have studied and collected these for years so if you can get a some photo's I will try to help.
Old November 30, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4
TPAW

Thanks, I'll try and get some photo's if the I can.