The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 17, 2000, 03:18 PM   #1
SA Scott

Another neophyte hunting question:

What is the most appropriate disposal method for entrails after field-dressing? Is it inconsiderate to leave them for scavengers or bury them? I've usually seen them bagged for later disposal, but is this necessary? Just want to be sensitive to someone else's property.

SA Scott
Old November 17, 2000, 04:37 PM   #2
BadMedicine

hmmm.

If you're on somebody elses' land, I would ask them what they want done, if it's just on their small farm. If you're 40 miles from the farm house in the woods, just leave it there. It is a waste to bury it. True, nothing in nature is a waste, and the worms will eat it, and trees will grow in the dirt, but I'd rather have a yote, or bear, or bird eat it. Atleast you can go back and shoot those later, and be a true recycler Some states have laws about it. Alaskas says that guts, carcuses(sp) etc. can't be left in sight of roads or maintained trails. It's a hunters image kinda political BS. So you have to...
1. bury it.
2.drag some brush over it.
3.haul it out of sight. (likely )
Some people keep the bones/fur/guts for later, to bait bear or scavengers with. That's legal up here, but may not be in other areas. But if somebody has allowed acces to their land, I would definatly check with them. They may want it buried so their dogs don't eat it, or as not to attract predators to their farm.

PS. I don't like these new smileys
Old November 17, 2000, 07:50 PM   #3
Field-dressed

Ditto what BadMedicine said. I just HAD to chime in on this one!
Old November 17, 2000, 09:39 PM   #4
BadMedicine

hmmm.

I know a credit hog when I see one.

"uhhh, what he said."
Old November 18, 2000, 05:34 PM   #5
bergie

I guess a great deal would depend on where you are hunting. As Bad Medicine said, if it is a small farm or acreage, you could ask the landowner if he wants you to do anything. If you leave one near a road or suburban area it could possibly offend the soccer moms :barf: but I doubt it. They are so out of touch with nature they wouldn't know what a gut pile is if they even noticed it. Actually, around where I hunt if there is anything left the next day, it wont be by the second day, it seems that even the blood is licked up by some hungry critter.
I don't mind the new smileys, but it won't be official till Sensop checks in
bergie