The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 4, 2004, 09:03 AM   #1
W. T. Jimbos

Whats the best repro 1853 enfield on the market?

HI my name is James (hence Jimbos)
Im a big fan of the american civil war, i want to purchase a reproduction 1853 enfield for range shoot/hunting and hopefully in the future civil war re-enacting.
I want the reproduction enfield to be the most historically accurate, for a 1853 model enfield that has been shipped from england to the union and confederacy.
Which manufacturer produces the best 1853 model enfield rifled musket historically (please feel free to discuss quality and prices of manufactures too).
Thanks. James
Old July 4, 2004, 03:17 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

I hang out at the CWReenactors board to read about guns. Well, it's the concensus there that the best repro is the Armi-Sport. It's lighter than the Euroarms version and Armi-Sport has a 3rd model Enfield (the one used during the war) that is pretty close - except for the color of the case hardening. Still, as reenactors (which I'm not, I'm a shooter and not a living historian or interpreter) they will have their gun "de-farbed" to make it more authentic.

BTW, I have the Parker Hale Enfields (24", 33" and 39") in my collection and I shoot them all. My mold is the Parker Hale Enfield mold as made for them by RCBS.