The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 18, 2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Idahosd

45 ACP Cabin Fever shoot and No Trade Guns

Well, winter is in full swing and in between storms yesterday I got in my semi-annual 45 ACP 50 rounds minimum shoot. I really don't have any safe queens and if I can't shoot 2" or less groups at 50 feet with a 45, it goes to the Trade list (excluding pocket guns). It was great to get out and send 600+ rounds down range. I have 20+ swinging ar500 steel targets that I set up. I shoot on open range BLM land and there are no shooting restrictions this time of year.

I guess I hadn't been paying attention over the past year but my stable of 45 acp has grown, perhaps too large. I just have a hard time passing on good deals. I took a picture of the 10 guns for this shoot. (first picture)

I do have a No Trade list. These are the guns that I can shoot, with accuracy and make me look like a better shooter then I am. What are the guns that you would not trade?

These are mine...

No trade list guns:

Primary Carry guns:

Night Stand guns.

Old January 18, 2015, 02:42 PM   #2
smee78

Thats a nice collection you have there. What model number is the Smith revolver in the primary carry picture.
Old January 18, 2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Idahosd

Sorry, that smith shouldn't have been included in the 45acp pictures. It is a PD 351 22mag 7 shot. It is more of the GF's gun and she kept putting it in all of the pictures. I think that if I want to keep it, I may just have to buy her one of her own.

It is more of her Motorcycle carry gun for her.

Last edited by Idahosd; January 18, 2015 at 03:08 PM.
Old January 18, 2015, 03:06 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

What's a trade list?
Very nice collection.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2015, 04:35 PM   #5
Drm50

No trade or sell

Cheapshooter that's good advice. If I had followed this doctrine I would be in
the tropics floating on a raft with two blondes and drinking those fancy drinks
out of pineapples.
Old January 18, 2015, 06:19 PM   #6
jaytothekizzay

Love that E series... is that an alloy frame? I almost bought one a few months ago at a show...
Old January 18, 2015, 06:29 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Cheapshooter that's good advice. If I had followed this doctrine I would be in
the tropics floating on a raft with two blondes and drinking those fancy drinks
out of pineapples.
LOL, that's what I would be doing if I hadn't bought so many to not sell, or trade.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 18, 2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Idahosd

Yes, Jaytothekizzay it is the alloy frame E-series. It carries very easy and the recoil is surprisingly light for the weight. I was surprised that it was as accurate as it is with 230gr loads. I have yet to find a 230gr load that it didn't like.

On Trade /Sell:

I do understand that some people do trade and sell at a loss on guns. I can actually say that I have been lucky enough not to have sold/traded at a loss on 100+ guns over the last 35 years. I have found that it is just a matter of time before someone will offer what you want/need for a gun. That guy willing to pay your price is always out there, you just have to wait for him to show up.

Then again, I am a bargain shopper and get some pretty good deals or I walk. I seldom buy used.

Having said that, I do have one potential loss on this Browning 10 gauge Pump (bps). I paid $250 and can't get a taker yet for it. But, I know that there is some goose hunter out there that will think that they are getting a great deal at $300.
Old January 18, 2015, 07:17 PM   #9
Kosh75287

Quote:
What are the guns that you would not trade?
All of them.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old January 20, 2015, 06:36 PM   #10
Brian48

Quote:
All of them.
+1.
Old January 21, 2015, 03:52 AM   #11
Brotherbadger

Interesting concept. I don't own enough guns to cull them off if I suck.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old January 21, 2015, 01:11 PM   #12
Idahosd

Actually, I trade not because I suck at shooting them. Anyone that has ever gone shooting with me would laugh at that comment. I can adjust my technique to accommodate almost any gun, I simply choose not to do that anymore. I can't tell how a gun is going to feel when I shoot it, from the gun counter.

The issue is physical. It has to do with my hand size, I wear 5xl gloves. If you measure the circumference of your hand at the widest part of your knuckle, and it is 9.5" then you are average US male. Mine measures at 14". So, gun designers from my stand point, start out over 40% to small on the only part of the gun that you touch.

Trust me when I say that how a gun feels, balances and recoils in my hands is far different then yours or how the gun designers intended. If you don't believe me then cut off 40% of your guns grip and see if it shoots differently.

On 1911 full size, I have my pinky at the bottom of the magazine, as I can only get 2 fingers in the space allotted. Over the many years of shooting most people have a drawer full of holsters that they don't use anymore. I have a second drawer full of grips that didn't work.

After sending well over 50,000 45 Acp rounds down range in my life, I can pretty much recognize how a gun shoots in my hands. In general, I categorize the felt recoil into "flippers" ( the muzzle lifts with a lot of movement but returns quickly), or "pushers" where the felt recoil has little flip, instead it pushes back into my hand. And last "Roller" these are mostly single action revolvers that are made to roll up in your hand.

I can shoot 2" groups offhand with pushers, either hand, and that is what I keep. Nothing sinister here, just exercising a preference.
Old January 22, 2015, 10:06 AM   #13
Don P

What caliber is the knife?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 22, 2015, 10:41 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

OK... I need a better picture of the bike... my biker buddy was just looking over my shoulder at that pic, & we can't figure out what you're riding... I'm not so much a biker any more but when I think Triumph I'm thinking air cooled single or twin, which that is obviously not
Old January 22, 2015, 08:10 PM   #15
Idahosd

The bike is a Triumph Rocket 3, they are kind of rare.. It has 2300cc (2.3 liter, 140 cui) 3 cylinder engine, 150 hp, 150 lbs torque. It uses the same size pistons as a Dodge Viper. Basically, they took about 1/3 of the Viper engine and put it in a 700lbs motorcycle. It has the quickest 20mph to 100mph time of all but 1 motorcycle.

They call it the rocket because of the way the power hits. It can pull your arms out of their sockets if you aren't careful it hits that hard. ( no replacement for displacement type of thing) Down side, about 28mpg and new back tire every 2500 miles.

Old January 23, 2015, 09:25 AM   #16
Magnum Wheel Man

very cool... thanks... wasn't thinking it would be a 3 cylinder, & could imagine it being a V 6 either
Old January 23, 2015, 05:15 PM   #17
R. Walter

Scope on a 3 inch S&W?

What's with scoping your S&W? Is that a 3 inch barrel? Why?
Old January 23, 2015, 08:17 PM   #18
Idahosd

The Smith has a 4" barrel. I put the red dot on for 2 reasons.

First, I am almost 60 and my eyes have issues with open sites over 35yards. These are perfect out to 75 yards. The red dots can be taken off and the open site put back on in less the 5 minutes, whenever I need that configuration.

Second reason: I train a lot of new shooters or someone that hasn't been out for a while. It makes hitting 6-8" steel targets at 25 yards VERY easy for them. Usually, they will shoot these guns at 80% plus. It builds confidence And both eyes open.

When I offer to take someone out shooting, I always allow them 100 shots. They have to shoot 5 gun with 10 shots each. Then they can shoot the other 50 in any gun they want. Almost always they go for the N frames with the red dots. They are 1 power and have 8 different patterns.

The GF and I call them the "Cheaters Guns" because it is like cheating to shoot them.

I now have Match Ultra dots 2 on both of these N frames (mod 625 and 627). I have other N frames that are open site only, these are range guns.