The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 29, 2006, 01:50 PM   #1
hagvar

Riflescope for varmint hunting

Looking at a Hunter Wicked Optics 6-24x50 for varmint hunting.

What would be comparable scopes, quality and prize wize?
Old September 30, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2
Ausserordeutlich

I'd be amazed if anybody here ever heard of that scope. How about providing information regarding cost, etc., or even a link??
Old October 2, 2006, 12:12 AM   #3
ReconMedic

Believe or not the one scope I have found that you get more than you pay for is the Tasco Super Sniper. It has a decent price and quality much more than its price. The leupold I own only beats this scope in glass quality but not $600 dollars different.
Old October 3, 2006, 09:27 AM   #4
dfaugh

Not familiar with the one you mention---But you might look into the "Barska" line. I've looked at them, and seem pretty good for a lower priced scope. The only person I know that has bought one, raves about it. Its either a 6-24x or 8-30x...Cost him about $225.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old October 3, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5
FirstFreedom

Go cheap, IMO

I'm of the opinion that varmint scopes need not be expensive ones because (1) if they do break (still unlikely if not complete junk), you're not out the cost/time of a big or important hunt - and you generally are near the pickup with a couple other rifles to grab in that event, and (b) you are typically not shooting in low light, which is where the better glass and coatings of the expensive scopes would really be needed. So with that in mind, on my two varmint rifles I have:

-Mueller Eradicator 8-25x50mm (around $250)
-Millett Buck Gold Varmint 6.5-20x56mm mil-dot (around $275)

I'd imagine that the Barskas would suffice for varmints in the daytime, as would the Hunter. Though I know nothing of the Hunters directly. The Barskas, IF they work, certainly do give you a lot of features for the money. I thought the "expensive" Barskas were more like $80, not $225?

http://www.swfa.com/c-988-barska-var...le-scopes.aspx

That fixed 16 or fixed 20 power Tasco Super Sniper does indeed seem to also be a good value for a varmint rig, but it's a $300 scope, not a $100 or $200 one.

OK, I see that the "Tactical" and "SWAT" lines from Barska are their more expensive models. This Barska, in their "SWAT" line, might be a good choice for a long range varminter or target rifle, like a .25-06:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-6031-765-bars...0mm-scope.aspx

60mm objective! 30mm tube. Illuminated mil-dot reticle. FULLY multi-coated lenses. Side focus. Target knobs. Comes with rings, flip-up caps, and sunshade. For $250. IF it's not a break-o-matic, then that's a hoss of a value for a fun gun.

Another decent option is the www.riflescopes.com closeouts on the Simmons Whitetail Classic (WTC), for $99. They are on both the sample list and I think the regular listings too. Peeps at rimfirecentral rave about the WTC - I think it's a 6-20x50mm.

I wouldn't go with a max mag of more than 20 or 24/25x. These 32x and 40x ones - at least the ones I've looked at - have such a tiny exit pupil that blackout becomes a problem, not to mention the mirage problem with ANY scope, on high magnification, depending on the terrain and heat. Seems that max useful magnif. is 20 or 25, even with huge objectives like 56 or more. But it's possible certainly that with a high enough quality scope/glass, and large enough objective, a 32 or 40 power would be useful, particularly a fixed power target scope.

The MSRP on that Hunter Wicked is $416, so it had BETTER be good - I'd do a lot of research on the brand before plunking down that kind of cash:

http://www.huntercompany.com/scopes.html

Last edited by FirstFreedom; October 3, 2006 at 11:51 AM.