The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2001, 12:44 PM   #1
Edward429451

M1A Disassembly

I've read and been told to keep the disassembly of my M1A to a minimum. Why?

How often do you guys do a total strip?

Whats the proper technique for useing the flash hider alignment tool?

Milspec ammo only? Why? I use commercial brass for reloads, seems ok, I use factory commercial ammo to get commercial brass.

Whats the difference between milspec and commercial?

Thanks!
Old September 9, 2001, 02:58 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

A lot of the concern about shooting non-milspec ammo is that commercial .308 is often loaded to higher pressures than milspec 7.62mm NATO. This seldom results in a problem in the M14 type rifles but can damage some other rifles that are nominally chambered for 7.62mm NATO. The fact is that the whole gun is balanced around milspec loads, and IMHO, the shooter is better to stick to those. (In an M1 rifle, some commercial loads have high port pressure and can damage operating rods.)

I don't know what you mean by a "total strip". There should be no reason to disassemble the trigger group, the bolt, the sights, or the suppressor assembly unless something is broken. Disassembling and cleaning the gas cylinder and piston is not really required very often, but some people like to take it down and clean after every shooting session. Some target shooters, on the other hand, never (or very rarely) disassemble a rifle that is shooting well for fear of messing up the bedding; they clean the barrel without any takedown.

The suppressor alignment tool simply fits into the barrel and insures that the suppressor is lined up. Alignment is no big deal unless bullets hit the suppresor, in which case they go all over the lot.

HTH

Jim
Old September 10, 2001, 11:02 PM   #3
Rokchukrslave

Take it apart all you want unless it is a glass bedded match rifle.
Flash suppessor alignment tool-don't take your flash suppressor off, you don't need to.
Old September 11, 2001, 01:31 PM   #4
Ledbetter

How often

Clean the gas assembly every 400 rounds or if you can't hear the piston slide back and forth when you invert the gun.