The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2015, 03:52 PM   #1
StumpShooter

Shooting Clays on Turkey Day. Any advice?

Hello,

I'm going to my first "formal," (people other than my friends and family throwing clays off the deck) clay pigeon/skeet shoot this Thanksgiving. We are going to Resthaven Park in Castalia, OH. I've always been an excellent rabbit hunter, pistol and rifle marksman, but just lack the experience in shooting targets in the air. I've watched some videos online of tips and techniques but nothing is really standing out to me as being really helpful.

Out of my shotgun collection I feel the only acceptable one I have is a 12 gauge Ithaca 37 Featherlight with a 28" barrel, modified choke and pink plastic fiber bead on the front. I bought a case of remington 8 shot gun club target load.

Any advice on how to bust these clays? I don't want to get skunked and want to enjoy it. Do I lead like 6 inches? Right on? I really don't know what I'm doing without practicing first which I won't be able to do.

Thanks
Old November 24, 2015, 04:16 PM   #2
FITASC

Don't stand like you are shooting paper targets with a pistol. Don't shoot where the bird is at but where it is going.
Lead will depend on what you are shooting - there is a difference between trap, skeet, and sporting clays.

If this is trap or skeet, then the brochures from Remington will give you good advice:

http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...wnloads.aspx\\

especially on stance, where to POINT your muzzle, etc. Use both of your eyes as if they were the rear sight on a rifle. Your 28" M barrel will work just fine.
Keep your head down and your gun moving (follow through). Lots of folks peek or stop their gun missing over and behind respectively.

MOST IMPORTANT - go have some fun!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 24, 2015, 04:31 PM   #3
StumpShooter

Thanks for the advice! I'll download these Remington brochures and check em out.
Old November 24, 2015, 05:26 PM   #4
BigJimP

Couple of things....

1. Don't get too worked up over it ....and focus on having a good time !

2. Basic fundamentals of wing shooting / flying clay target shooting. As you swing - eye on the leading edge of the target...and face on the comb ( don't pick your head up ) -- as you fire the shotgun...it is not the end of the shot, its the start of the shot...do not stop swinging as you pull the trigger, the smooth follow thru..as you continue to move the barrel in front of and on line with the target is your follow thru after you have pulled the trigger. You "feel" the lead vs measuring it .../ some shots may be no lead, some a foot, some 2 feet to 4 feet.....every station will be different.

Keep your face on the comb...swing smoothly..and follow thru / don't slap at a target ...and you'll probably be fine / and check out the links FITASC gave you ---- and don't expect to shoot 80% on your first outing...focus on having fun !!.
Old November 24, 2015, 08:15 PM   #5
StumpShooter

BigJim thanks for advice those seem to be some solid tips I can visualize the smooth follow through and to not stop swinging or slap at the target when you pull the trigger.
Old November 25, 2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Dreaming100Straight

Actually, in clay shooting you do slap the trigger. I hope someone will correct me if I am wrong. What BigJim said about having fun is the most important thing. Try to ignore the bead, look at the target, and keep the gun moving (swing through). The most important thing, perhaps more so for a group of inexperienced shooters, is to be safe.
Old November 25, 2015, 09:38 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Like Jim said above, swing through the shot. Clays is a different skill to learn. You won't necessarily be good the first time out but don't beat yourself up over it.

Just relax and you will have a lot of fun. I started a year and a half ago and still have my off days but honestly, a bad day at clays is still better than a great day at work.
Old November 26, 2015, 12:15 AM   #8
tynman

I like to rest my cheek on the stock like it is all one and I DO NOT use the bead sight I use the end of the barrel. (but I do use an over under) It all depends on how far you let the clay get away from you will tell you how far you should lead ahead of it. But dont worry to much about it. Just have fun.... That is the main thing....
My first time out I hit 52 out of 100 clay with a 12 gaug semi auto... But I really didnt care I just wanted to have fun...
Old November 26, 2015, 09:04 AM   #9
SARuger

Point dont aim, lead, swing through. DONT over think it, just react and shoot.

I use a old, very old, 20g 1100 with the Cutts Compensator choke system, Mod choke installed. I love that gun!

Have fun, I might go tomorrow and make some smoke
Old November 27, 2015, 11:32 AM   #10
StumpShooter

Thanks guys. I did alright and busted some clays up. We did Annie Oakley style competition which got pretty exciting at times.
Old November 27, 2015, 02:13 PM   #11
FITASC

Awesome!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 27, 2015, 02:40 PM   #12
SARuger

Awesome! I offered to take my boys clays shooting today but they wanted to get the long range toys out, so we went to the range and shot .223 and .243 out to 400yds

I might just go tomorrow myself, I'm itching to kill clay
Old December 2, 2015, 01:45 PM   #13
tynman

Great!!