The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old July 29, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
grdpounder

Zeroing Frustration

Afternoon, I am having issues zeroing my 10\22 Takedown, and figured I would solicit advise from the good folks here. The rifle has a 3-9X32 CBQ Scope with their rings. The base is tight and has been secured with blue loctite, also I just had the trigger done by Brimstone they did a great job. The problem is once I get the rifle zeroed, a few shots later it is out of zero again sometimes by 4 inches. I get good groups but the zero keeps changing, thoughts?
Old July 29, 2013, 04:40 PM   #2
markj

Quote:
a few shots later it is out of zero again
Try a different scope. Had this happen and it was an optical was loose inside the scope.
Old July 29, 2013, 04:42 PM   #3
WCW

I would try a different scope. Appears to me the inner tube is loose in the adjustment screws. This will produce the exact symptoms you are experiencing.
Old July 29, 2013, 04:57 PM   #4
g.willikers

It could be the way you're looking through the scope.
On some scope designs, varying the cheek weld or the angle of view can cause the reticle (or dot) to move around relative to the target.
If the iron sights are still in place, use them at a close target just to check.
Old July 29, 2013, 05:10 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.willikers View Post
It could be the way you're looking through the scope.
On some scope designs, varying the cheek weld or the angle of view can cause the reticle (or dot) to move around relative to the target.
If the iron sights are still in place, use them at a close target just to check.
Actually, that's a matter of physics and every scope will do it if its not adjusted for the range of your target or if its fixed parallax, if you're not shooting close to the range its fixed at.

If the scope has an adjustable parallax, that could be the issue. If not, it sounds like it's guts are broken.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; July 29, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old July 29, 2013, 05:17 PM   #6
grdpounder

Thanks

I was shooting at a range of 25 yrds off a rest and the scope was set for that range. When I first started to try and zero the rifle was shooting 8 inches to the right I really had to bring it left to get it too center...I'll mount the scope I have on my 17 HMR and try to zero it on Friday. More to follow.
Old July 29, 2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Mobuck

You have a system in which the scope is mounted to the receiver and the barrel is "loosely attached" (figuratively speaking)to the receiver. It would take very little difference in pressure on the fore arm to change POI.
Old July 29, 2013, 06:44 PM   #8
jmr40

I'd 2nd checking to make sure the takedown rifle is together properly. If it is loose this is what I'd expect. There is an adjustment ring. Read the owners manual carefully and make sure it is together right.
Old July 30, 2013, 05:30 PM   #9
Metal god

Quote:
When I first started to try and zero the rifle was shooting 8 inches to the right I really had to bring it left to get it too center
That makes you off by 32moa . You have to be at the max wind adjustment and I would say thats your issue . The reticle is no where near the center of the glass and I'm sure you are getting a distorted sight picture . I think that will throw your parallax off as well and your sight picture cus you are looking through the more curved part of the lens . I would also think that the internal adjustments are maxed out and can not hold zero cus your at the end of the threads .

I had this issue once and I had to remount my scope and turn one of the rings 180 degrees to pull the scope back to center . The base may just need to be remounted cus ithe front or back shifted to one side throwing the whole alignment out of whack .

Just a thought

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 30, 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old August 2, 2013, 06:13 PM   #10
fileophile

Several things to check

1. Parallax adjustment
2. Rings tightened properly and mounted tightly to rail/mounting points (this is most likely the cause in my experience -- looseness here. You can't necessarily feel this looseness.)
3. No scope "shadowing" -- get the eye relief and cheek weld right.
4. Defective scope (rarely the case with modern scopes.
Old August 2, 2013, 10:15 PM   #11
5thShock

Remove the scope, shoot a group with the iron sights.
Old August 3, 2013, 07:32 AM   #12
dahermit

Quote:
I'd 2nd checking to make sure the takedown rifle is together properly. If it is loose this is what I'd expect.
I will "3rd" that. With that take-down Ruger, the scope is mounted to the receiver, the barrel assembly is a separate unit. Hmmmm... where could the trouble be? Re: Occam's razor.
Old August 3, 2013, 09:13 AM   #13
Torch

I doubt it is the rifle. If the takedown was loose enough to cause a 4" deviation at 25 or 50 yards then it would feel very loose. Does it feel loose? If not, and you're sure that the rings and mount are tight then it must be the scope.
Old August 3, 2013, 10:36 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

See Post #6. Let's wait for range results.
Old August 5, 2013, 05:19 PM   #15
grdpounder

Results

Unfortunately, no results yet after spending10 hours at the range this weekend I didn't have an opportunity to send any rounds down range, I volunteer as a RSO and we are allowed to fire when the range isn't busy but it must have been a combination of the great weather and payday weekend for the military because the range was packed all day long Friday and Sunday. My next chance to get out will be a week from this Friday so more to follow.
Ed
Old August 5, 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Crossed fingers; best luck.

Probably best to start a new thread with the results.
Old August 5, 2013, 08:18 PM   #17
grdpounder

Will Do

Yes Sir!
Closed Thread