The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 23, 2010, 01:53 AM   #1
troy_mclure

velocity of your .44's??

what kinda velocity are you guys getting from your .44 cap and ball revolvers, and what load?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 23, 2010, 04:37 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

On the few occassions when I got a reading from my Shooting Chrony

I got just over a thousand with 30 grains measured with a CVA1400 in my ROA. (Round ball). I hope that is accurate. I got lousy results from that Chrony (actually owned two and neither of them worked for me.) I never ever got two good readings in a row no matter how I set it up.
Old July 23, 2010, 08:40 AM   #3
Noz

I've found that the chrony must be a minimum, and probably farther is better, of 15' from the muzzle. I've never tried with my revolvers but a 50 cal front stuffer gave me all sorts of fits trying to get an accurate read. The chrony will measure the powder grains and the wad as well as the bullet. I gave up before getting an accurate reading.
The same unit on the same day gave very accurate and consistant readings on hot loaded smokeless pistol rounds.
Old July 23, 2010, 05:52 PM   #4
troy_mclure

i set up 20' away and got 918fps with pydrodx(30gr).

average of 5 shots.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old July 23, 2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

I just tried my CED M2 today....

...with a .177 pellet rifle. It is sweet. I put twenty rounds through the traps and got a report every time but one when I knew I was shooting hi. I got about 640 fps and then after swabing the barrel it went up to about 710.

I did not use the sky screens. Bright shiney day. Got consistent speeds on the pellet rifle. I will probably take it shooting next week to measure some BP stuff.

The speeds I got on the ROA were with a Shooting Chrony which I have complained about in a different thread. This CED is already outperformaing that unit.

Don't mean to be critical. I know there are plenty of guys out there who get good results from the Chrony, including many who post on this forum. I just could not get mine to work...two different units, one of which had been rehabed by the factory. I never shot it 20 feet from the muzzle (I went out to about ten I think.) and never used blast shields. AND, I have not tried the M2 with BP so I may still be disappointed.
Old July 24, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
g.willikers

I've used an el cheapo Chrony for years.
It will give accurate readings only under specific circumstances.
Outdoors, it has to be a fairly bright day, with complete cloud cover.
So there's good shadows without strong contrast.
Kind of like the best light for photography.
Indoors, the sensors have to be about three feet under an overhead light of 100 watts or less. Like the garage.
Then the thing works great.