The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2008, 10:01 PM   #1
SecurityPillow

"I Designed A Pillow That Safely & Comfortably Stores a Handgun. What do you think?"

Hello Everyone,

I recently designed a memory foam pillow that safely & comfortably holds most handguns. This pillow also has the ability to store valuables as a theft deterrent. I am currently in the Research & Development stages of this project, and looking for feedback. There is no product currently for sale and there may not be for quite some time. I am not "Spamming" here!

Please click the following link for the details. Click "Skip Intro" if it takes too long to load...

http://www.SecurityPillow.com

What are your thoughts on this concept? Any suggestions or advice? I understand that this concept is not going to be everyone's cup of tea, but I would appreciate if you would at least keep your comments respectful and constructive.

Thank you for your time!

The Security Pillow TM
"Sleep Tight."
Pat. Pending

Last edited by SecurityPillow; August 29, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:10 PM   #2
KChen986

Does the 'stretch to fit' holster allow for a quick and snag free deployment of the pistol? I'd imagine something stretching around a handgun may lead to snags....
Old August 26, 2008, 10:11 PM   #3
forest15

Looks like a great product, would also be good for traveling, when staying in hotels and what-not. Any idea on possible price? And if this works out, when would they be available?
Old August 26, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
ISC

As long as you can keep it cheap people will likely buy it. maybe having a simplified version cheaper and a king size version for more. An additional throw pillow model for the living room might be good, just be sure to include some legal disclaimor about leaving loaded guns accessible to children in the packaging and on the site. \

Also, cut out the intro completely on the site, alot of people won't wait for it and will never see your product.

just my thoughts.
Old August 26, 2008, 10:34 PM   #5
Smaug

I share the concern with KChen. It looks snag-tastic.

Other than that, great!

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old August 26, 2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Scattergun Bob

Great Idea

I like it, what is the price point, are you in manufacturing?
Old August 26, 2008, 11:52 PM   #7
ThePBM

I'd much rather have a "SecurityPillowCase" because I would hate to have to choose comfort of my pillow based on a small (if any) selection. Not everyone likes memory foam.
Old August 27, 2008, 02:18 AM   #8
B.A.

Incredible!

When I first saw the title of this thread, I almost soiled my keyboard laughing. A handgun pillow design. Now there's something!
Thinking I might have come across the early stages of a worthy successor to that ghecko45 guy with the combat wheel barrow, I had to give it a go.
Upon seeing it, I was almost certain it was a troll or someone trying to spread a virus (first post, attached link) and then realised, through the replies, it was for real and you're serious!

Don't get me wrong, however, I mean no disrespect and to each his own and horses for courses and all that.

But a handgun pillow... I just have to chuckle. What next? Kevlar pyjamas? Sorry, just kidding.

Seriously, though, SecurityPillow, best of luck with your venture and hope you fare well with it. I just had to comment.

(I might have to add one of those disclaimers about "if you take offense to anything in the above post, my sincere apologies are offered, since none was intended" as a tag line)
Old August 27, 2008, 02:20 AM   #9
SecurityPillow

Answers

Thanks for all of your feedback! The "stretch-to-fit" holster is made out of extremely durable spandex material. The slick surface of the spandex allows for the handgun to be easily removed but the material is durable enough to last for years. The sock is also permanently fixed inside of the pillow and can not be removed. I recommend placing your thumb over the "Hammer" of the handgun when drawing it from the pillow if applicable. This speeds up the process and deters snagging.

We hope to have this product available for sale within the next 12 months. We are still in negotiations with several manufacturers and have not pinpointed the exact retail price of The Security Pillow. Our goal is to make it as cheap as possible without sacrificing quality or longevity. It shouldn't be any more expensive than other high quality memory foam pillows.

Eventually there will be many variations of The Security Pillow to suit the individual needs of the customer. i.e. Body Pillow, Throw Pillow, Contour Pillow, Down w/ foam core, king size, queen size, etc.
Old August 27, 2008, 03:04 AM   #10
FXWG

Let me know when they are ready for sale!
[email protected]
Old August 27, 2008, 03:38 AM   #11
evan1293

I think its a great idea and I'd be very interested in one when they become available.

Just last night I was thinking to myself about a little problem I face at my apartment when it comes to defending myself. My wife and I sleep in our room with the door shut. We have a window air conditioning unit in our room that runs all night. The problem I face is that the only door to our apartment is as far away from our bedroom as possible. If someone were to break in and they did so without making too much noise, I wouldn't be able to hear them until they opened our bedroom door. Accessing a firearm from the night stand may be impossible given that the intruder is already in the room. The security pillow would be a great solution to my problem.

Last edited by evan1293; August 27, 2008 at 04:57 AM.
Old August 27, 2008, 04:21 AM   #12
imthegrumpyone

Old August 27, 2008, 04:23 AM   #13
Playboypenguin

This is just me, but I personally would never place a gun inside a pillow knowing my partner was sleeping on the other side of me. So anyone that buys one of these please keep in mind to place the pillow to where the barrel faces off your side of the bed and not towards your other half.
Old August 27, 2008, 06:39 AM   #14
flyby

I like it..neat concept..
I,ve imagined before if something like this were both possible and practical.

Also PBP brought up a strong point ..maybe produce them in both right and left handed so people wouldn't have change which side of the bed they sleep on ..then again I'm fairly ambidextrous with handguns.

Personally I'd rather the gun were more towards the rear closer to where the mags are..I wouldn't need all the spare mags, Of course those chambers could be left empty also.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:11 AM   #15
C Philip

Quote:
Also PBP brought up a strong point ..maybe produce them in both right and left handed so people wouldn't have change which side of the bed they sleep on ..then again I'm fairly ambidextrous with handguns.
Or perhaps instead of having to make two models, just have one model with holes to reach into the central pocket on either side of the pillow.

Once you have a prototype ready, it would be neat to see a video of someone actually drawing from it to see how it works.
Old August 27, 2008, 07:16 AM   #16
Bear Claw Chris

Accident waiting to happen..........
Old August 27, 2008, 07:30 AM   #17
PSP

Gives new meaning to the phrase "pillow fight".

This isn't something I'm wanting for the security of my own home, but I could see me using something like this when traveling and staying in motels.
Old August 27, 2008, 08:07 AM   #18
Saab1911

Lawsuits anyone?

Any money that is made from this pocket will line the pockets of a fat cat
lawyer.
22lr: Ruger Mk III/45
Old August 27, 2008, 08:11 AM   #19
Keltyke

I got a gun only inches under my head while asleep??? Just how easy does the safety of that semi slip off? How light IS that trigger in SA? How easy can the hammer of that revolver be thumbed back? Watch yourself if you're the type to sleep with one hand under your head. I can see it now, "Suicide by pillow."

My last stand piece is in a proper holster with a retention strap and it's fastened securely to the headboard, above our heads. The muzzle points straight up. It's drawn by reaching up, grabbing the butt, opening the strap with the thumb, and pulling the piece down and out. It's the same motion as drawing it from a belt holster position. The muzzle never sweeps either of us. It takes a conscientious effort to bring it into play.

Guns under pillows may look cool in movies, but as someone already said, it's an AD waiting to happen.
Old August 27, 2008, 08:54 AM   #20
johnboy1981

If your like me I am constantly flipping my pillow over to find that cool spot on the pillow. I would hate to have to wake up and try to find which way my firearm is facing while im half way awake.
Old August 27, 2008, 09:19 AM   #21
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
Thinking I might have come across the early stages of a worthy successor to that ghecko45 guy with the combat wheel barrow, I had to give it a go.
You've confused two internet legends. Gecko45 was the original Mall Ninja and Gunkid was the "combat wheel barrow" guy.
Old August 27, 2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

In the interest of eliminating a fight before it starts, I'd eliminate/change the picture of the BG at the beginning. Someone is going to say "I can't believe you used a person of race X for your BG" It may not even be Race X or even look like it to everyone else but there's always somebody. Anyone remember the thread about the BG target?
Old August 27, 2008, 09:28 AM   #23
Saab1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A
Upon seeing it, I was almost certain it was a troll or someone trying to spread a virus (first post, attached link)
Is that why my computer tells me that it loves me and that I need male
enhancement in the worst way?
22lr: Ruger Mk III/45
Old August 27, 2008, 09:35 AM   #24
Selfdfenz

More than once I've seen rusted or pitted firearms that were stored between bed mattresses. If the humidity in the dwelling is periodically high I guess it must get trapped in the matress hence the problem.

So...in using this product you're going to store a firearm in an enviroment that get a humidity recharge (expiration) every 24 hours and also happens to discharge that humidity slowly?

If not addressed in your product design you should expect to pay for having lots of firearms refinished or replaced. I won't even address the issue of security of weapon when you are away from the dwelling, around kids etc.

S-
Old August 27, 2008, 09:38 AM   #25
Jon-m

This seems very unnecessary to me...and more than a little bit dangerous.
How is this pillow safer/faster/better than a properly holstered gun in a nightstand or attached to a headboard?
I can understand wanting fast access to a pistol at night, but honestly, putting one under your head?
If anything, I think this would make quick access to a weapon more difficult/dangerous than if you had it safely secured in a nightstand.

I can't honestly say that I'd ever be comfortable having a loaded weapon under my head while I'm unconscious either. Especially if I was sharing that bed with another person.