The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 17, 2008, 06:17 AM   #1
striker55

good way to gather brass at the range

Since I'm going to be reloading I was wondering how you pick up your brass at the range? I was thinking of putting down a blanket to shoot over to help gather my brass. I'll be shooting 45acp and 9mm.
Old May 17, 2008, 06:31 AM   #2
cdrt

You can always get something like this. I have a homemade one.

http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=CCBC
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old May 17, 2008, 07:37 AM   #3
BAD_KARMA

Children or a cheap blue tarp.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:25 AM   #4
speedracer211

Well I dont ever set anything up not sure why, I believe I dont want to be the guy who has to set up a blanket and what not. I just spend the 20 minutes or so and pick it all up by hand, including any other brass I find.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:07 AM   #5
DaveInPA

This time of year I just pick it up when I'm done. When there's snow on the ground, though, I lay a tarp out to my right to catch the brass. Otherwise it does down in the snow and it's VERY hard to find.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:11 AM   #6
Yoosta B. Blue

BAD_KARMA, the blue tarp is an excellent idea! I have one that is 10'x20' that should work very well for that. (Funny what you can learn on here! ) Thanks!

YBB
Old May 17, 2008, 10:51 AM   #7
CrustyFN

I don't set anything up. I just pick them up off the ground by hand. But then I shoot at an outdoor range and will walk all six pistol bays looking for brass even though I am only shooting in one.
Rusty
Old May 17, 2008, 11:05 AM   #8
10-96

+1 on the use of kids. The hard part is trying to convince them of just how much fun they're going to have while doing it.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:44 AM   #9
DaveInPA

Quote:
I don't set anything up. I just pick them up off the ground by hand. But then I shoot at an outdoor range and will walk all six pistol bays looking for brass even though I am only shooting in one.
I do the same thing. I've gotten A TON of free .45ACP brass doing that! I went to the range the day after an IDPA competition and WOW. . .I think I boxed up at least 4000 pieces of .45 brass.
Old May 17, 2008, 02:25 PM   #10
Charlie218

I read once where a fellow uses an umbrella, he knows about where the ejected brass will land, opens the umbrella shoots, then closes the umbrella and heads home.....I may just try that........
Old May 17, 2008, 04:45 PM   #11
CPTMurdoc30

About twice a month I load up the kids and take them out to the range with me and we spend an hour or two picking up brass from the range. They work good and if you give them a soda or some ice cream after wards they will work even harder. Mine love to go and pick up brass with me because they play stump dad with a case. So far they have never stumped me.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:40 PM   #12
BigDog454

I just don't shoot self unloading firearms anymore! Not since I have a bad back.
Old May 17, 2008, 08:45 PM   #13
arizona98tj

I use a brass magnet that I got at Harbor Freight.

When I forget to bring it, I end up picking it up by hand....not all that bad, gives me a little more exercise.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:13 PM   #14
Bullet94

+1 on the brass magnet.
Old May 17, 2008, 09:22 PM   #15
speedracer211

Dont forget to pick up the lead magnet so you can go berming for lead.
Old May 17, 2008, 11:45 PM   #16
Sigma 40 Blaster

Brass magnet?

The only thing I could find on Google were little pins and magnets to wear on a suit jacket or something. More info on that? Direct link??

Do I smell a joke?
Old May 18, 2008, 12:30 AM   #17
Crosshair

Quote:
Do I smell a joke?
No, you can get the brass magnet at the local hardware store. They are right in with the pipe stretchers, muffler belts, lightbulb fluid, and winter air for tires.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:04 AM   #18
BerettaFox

and smoke-shifters for when you're sitting around a camp fire. the range i go to is my back yard, so every now and then I'll buy a hundred rounds from wal mart to add another batch of brass.
Old May 26, 2008, 03:44 PM   #19
6thMichCav

Brass catcher

If your range has benches, you might use a pistol rest, or shoot sitting down--then you can use this. If you are handy with a minimum of tools, try this:

Make a square frame, about 16 x 16 inches. It doesn't have to look pretty. I even saw one guy who used a cardboard box.

Nail the frame to a 2-foot 2x4, so that the 2x4 is "fat side down". (The guy with a box stapled his to a heavy piece of plastic--looked like counter top.

Get a fine mesh fishnet, bag, pillow case, or whatever else you want to catch brass in as a "bag". I used some spare metal window screen. (The guy with the box used rubber window screen).

Use a staple gun to staple the "bag" to the open frame. (I don't know how the guy with the box attached the screen; I'm embarrassed to say I didn't look or ask).

Clamp the 2x4 on your brass catcher to the bench with a quick-release clamp or a C-clamp in the right position as you shoot. Some guns eject forward, right, diagonally, so you may have to move it around for different guns or ammo.

While I still lose a few rounds to the ground, my brass catcher often gets approving nods from people, who are usually thinking "man, I could make that a lot better than this rube...."

It may help if you can find a way to make the "bag" extend out from the frame slightly, so that the brass doesn't bounce off as the bag gets full. I shot a box of 9mm once, and the brass was so heavy that my next box started just bouncing off onto the bench. The cardboard box guy did not have this problem, so maybe he knew better than I?

If you shoot standing up, with no bench...put the frame on post???

I've tried the tarp thing. My guns aren't cooperative enough to keep the brass on the tarp, and it always seems to bounce into the grass, weeds, mud, etc. With that big ol' frame in front of the ejection port, it seems to work better than a tarp for me.
Old May 27, 2008, 01:53 AM   #20
Ed the Rangerat

The outdoor range where I shoot pistol and rifle has a strict rule that allows only picking up your own brass. I mark the base of my brass with different colored Sharpies. Easy to tell my own and quite often someone at the station next to me will pick up mine and stack them for me.
Old May 27, 2008, 11:31 AM   #21
The Lovemaster

I pick mine up the old-fashioned way, one at a time by hand.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:08 PM   #22
[email protected]

Was at the range last week. Two men came and used leaf rakes to rake up all the 22 brass. Made the grass look better. Guess they got close to 75 lbs. At a buck a pound that was easy money. Last month or so that I've gone to the range I've not seen any brass except 22 brass. Used to find 223, 45 and 38's not anymore.
Old May 27, 2008, 08:49 PM   #23
bigautomatic

I snatch my empties right out of the air with my cat-like reflexes. Ha!
All kidding aside, I have found that there are many more people reloading these days. Also folks taking brass to cash in at the scrap yards. If the range is a little crowded, I police my brass after every mag. I haven't had to purchase any brass for some time and would like to keep it that way.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:17 PM   #24
schmellba99

I pick it up by hand. The range I go to has about 75 bays. I've been known to peruse all of them during the breaks looking for brass. Luckily the daytime rangemasters on the weekends do not adhere to the "your own brass" rule and actually appreciate less work at the end of their shift because of folks like me.
Old May 27, 2008, 09:22 PM   #25
O6nop

There are machines that do the job, drums with rubbr spikes that pick up the brass and then combs them out into a hopper,
Check out http://www.southernbellebrass.com/Southern.htm

Not highly efficient but it does work.