The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2007, 05:29 PM   #1
RattleSnake Jake

Is Knoxx Compstock's Sling Stud a Problem?

I recently purchased a "Knoxx" "Compstock" stock from Brownells after reading some very good reviews about this stock reducing felt recoil.

I mounted it to my Rem. 870 and took it out to the back yard and shot off a few rounds. This stock really reduces recoil.

MY QUESTION;
The stock is pre-drilled for a sling swivel stud (hole, but no stud came with the parts), but it looks to me like the stud/sling swivel/sling may be in the way of the rear portion of the stock when the stock collisapses during recoil. I want to mount a sling on this weapon as I am taking it to a class at "Front Sight" training center near Las Vegas.

Does anyone know if my fears are unfounded about mounting a stud and sling to this stock or is there a different way to attach a sling to the plastic stock of the "Knoxx's", "Compstock"?

Thanks for your help
RSJ

To Lazy to Work
To Nervous to Steal
To Jelous to Pimp

NRA Lifer
Old September 24, 2007, 11:57 AM   #2
JackDRipper

The front of the stock collapses during recoil, not the rear, so I think the stud is okay.
JR
Old September 24, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3
RattleSnake Jake

JR

Thanks for the response.

The "Compstock" is different from the "SpecOps" stock. The rear of the stock does collaspse.

It's weird that the stock has pre-tapped hole for a stud right where the rear portion of the stock collaspses. To me, it looks like the stud or Sling Swivel/Sling would get into the way.

I was just wondering if anyone had experience/problems with this before I go out and shoot it with a stud/swivel installed and mess up the stock itself.

RSJ

To Lazy to Work
To Nervous to Steal
To Jelous to Pimp

NRA Lifer
Old September 24, 2007, 04:24 PM   #4
webbee

E-mail Knoxx customer service and ask. Mine is like that too, but I don't have a stud installed. Doesn't your rubber boot cover the stud hole? I think the hole is put there by the stock manufacture and Knoxx just makes the recoil reducer. I could be wrong but I think these stocks were originally made for Knoxx by Hogue.
Old September 24, 2007, 04:50 PM   #5
RattleSnake Jake

webbee

I believe your correct in your assestment.

The stock says "hogue" on the bottom of the pistol grip. I phoned Knoxx CS and they said not to use the hole in the stock, but to tap a hole apx. 1" forward of the pre-drilled hole in the stock. They wanted me to let them know if that works... otherwise, they said to use a sling that wraps around the rear peice of the stock (a.k.a. Tactical Sling).

I had one of those slings and mounted it on gun. It looks like it may work but it's loose and sloppy and I don't know if it will hold up to a 4 day combat shoot that I wanted to take this shotgun to next month.

RSJ

To Lazy to Work
To Nervous to Steal
To Jelous to Pimp

NRA Lifer
Old September 25, 2007, 12:18 AM   #6
webbee

Well...the shotty I have mine on isn't where I am, so this may be faulty memory. I think you could add the stud closer up and use one with the threaded nut, lock-tited of course. As I remember the stock is hollow. I have read posts where posters claim you can screw into the fiberglass stocks with the wood screw style, so Knoxx CS may be right. Sorry...no experience with it here. You would have to get into the thicker part of the stock for that screw to hold.
I only use mine for practice/HD so don't have much use for the sling.
I feel your pain with the wrap-around sling style.
Please let us know how that all works out at Front Sight. Those tactical courses really strain the equipment. I'd take a back-up.

Sling aside, I love these recoil reducing stocks. Makes slugging a fun experience. Mines on a Mossy 590, which works out the best with the Knoxx Compstock, IMHO.