The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 8, 2001, 01:23 AM   #1
pax

Is anyone interested in a get together in the Portland or Seattle area sometime this spring or summer?

pax
Old March 8, 2001, 03:43 PM   #2
jhisaac

I would be interested in a Portland area shoot.
Jason
Old March 8, 2001, 08:33 PM   #3
acp Mikey

Another vote for a Portland get together!
Old March 8, 2001, 09:18 PM   #4
Marty Hayes

Hey, I would offer my range for a get together. In fact, we have some matches already scheduled, so it would be easy to schedule a little eyeball session.

Range is located halfway between Seattle and Portland, in the little berg of Onalaska, WA

Marty Hayes
Firearms Academy of Seattle
Old March 9, 2001, 12:22 AM   #5
tstr

Count me in.

I swung by Marty's shooting range awhile back. Looks like a great range. Be a good place to get together.

tstr
Old March 11, 2001, 12:47 AM   #6
tstr

btt
Old March 11, 2001, 03:06 AM   #7
OF

I'd be there.

- gabe
Old March 11, 2001, 10:50 PM   #8
John Marshall

I could get up there from my little hidey-hole on the coast.

Hey, Marty, do you think you could stop being an instructor at a TFL shoot? Or would you feel compelled to offer advice gratis?
Old March 11, 2001, 11:16 PM   #9
nwgunman

Sounds good....hopefully a weekend?
Old March 13, 2001, 01:28 AM   #10
pax

Sometime in May? What's everyone think?

Weekend sounds good -- but is Marty's range available on the weekends? Seems to me I recall he's got a few classes going on ...

pax

Being rich is having money; being wealthy is having time. -- Margaret Bonnano
Old March 13, 2001, 09:28 AM   #11
Marty Hayes

Here's what I would recommend.

We have a 3-gun match scheduled for May 5th, and a Handgun Tactical Match scheduled for May 6th. Either or both, they are seperate matches. Decide on which one to come to, and spend the day squadded together. The good news with this idea is that you won't have to do the work in setting up the match.

I am not able to set aside a seperate weekend for a TFL get-together, all our weekends are booked until Dec.

AND, I have no trouble not being an instructor for a day. Usually when we are having a match, and a shooter is doing particulary poor, I might say something like the following:

Marty: Want a little advice?

Shooter: Sure...

Marty: Take a class...
Old March 13, 2001, 11:25 AM   #12
SKN

Marty,

Match fees and pre-reqs? Ammo requirements?
Old March 14, 2001, 09:20 AM   #13
Marty Hayes

Match fee is $15 each day, or $25 for both days.

200 rounds handgun ammohsould get you through both days, 100 rounds rifle ammo, some birdshot and/or buck shot and a few slugs.

No pre-reqs, just a good working knowledge of guns and gun safety.
Old March 15, 2001, 12:01 AM   #14
John Marshall

That sounds d*mned reasonable to me, guys. What do y'all think?

BTW Marty, that was exactly the kind of "advice" I would have been looking for.

One more thing. What kind of "experts" would we be shooting against/with? One always needs to know the capabilities of the enem.. uh, competition.
Old March 15, 2001, 12:39 AM   #15
pax

Sounds great!

What's everyone think -- Saturday or Sunday? Or both?

Marty, I've never been involved in a match shoot. What's a "three gun match"? What's involved in that? And is a Handgun Tactical match an IPSC type shoot or what?

pax
Old March 15, 2001, 02:32 AM   #16
SKN

Start time and, if there is one, the reg procedure please and I'll meet you there for one or both days.

BTW, Aussie TFLer BruceFromWestOz is due to visit Oregon (Salem) around that time and I believe he was interested in getting together so hopefully, this will coincide with his schedule.

Old March 15, 2001, 11:53 AM   #17
Marty Hayes

Here's the scoop

The following is the match announcement that I put out a few weeks ago about the years matches. It should answer all the questions, with the exception of the 3-gun question.

Our 3-gun matches consist of rifle/carbine, shotgun and pistol. They usually have a couple stages of each, and a couple of transition stages, (long-gun to pistol).

Scoped carbines or iron sights compete equally, usually the advantages of one type are offset by the disadvantages. Normally people bring their Mini-14 or Ar-15.

The level of competition is pretty good, we can at any time have a master level IPSC shooter or two, most people are mid level competent. But, since there is nothing to win, (except at the championships), people don't take themselves too seriously, even the hotdogs.

Our tactical matches are judged primarily on your tactics to handle a particular scenario. A typical scenario, and one from last years, championship had you enter a dimly lit parking garage, and you are surrounded by 4 bad guys, who say, "Gimme your wallet". You are judged on how you handle the scenario. I'll post the tactical match rules of engagement seperately.

Here's the announcement..........................

It’s Shootin Time!

After a glorious winter weather wise, it is now time to start shooting again. March 10th is our first match, a steel match put on by Rich, Bob, and Rachael. This match will be a minimum of 6 stages of challenging steel shooting, (bring your fastest gun), as the lowest time wins. I have re-set up all steel targets this year, and calibrated them for 9mm hardball. So, while your wimpy .38 loads might be just fine for the steel plates, bring some more powerful ones for the full sized poppers. How much ammo? At least a hundred rounds, (maybe more depending on how many times you miss). Cost: $15.00

Our second match of the year is a 2-day, mega shooting weekend, put on by Oregon contingent Earle, Wayde and Raye. On Saturday, May 5th we will have a 3-gun match, (rifle, pistol and shotgun). It will have at least 2 stages of each firearm, and more than likely, some transition work. 50 rounds pistol, 50 rounds rifle, 50 rounds birdshot. 10 rounds buckshot and 10 slugs should get you through. (You may shoot ALL buckshot instead of birdshot if you want). Then, on Sunday, May 6th, you will be treated to a handgun only tactical match, testing your software instead of hardware. 6-8 stages of mind bogglers. Cost for each match is $15.00, or $25.00 for both.

Sunday, July 8th will see another handgun tactics match, but this time put on by Clay, Tracy and MaryBeth. Their match last year was a lot of fun and good lessons, this one should be even better. Cost: $15.00

Remember IDPA? That shooting sport that we officially did here for a couple of years? Rich, Shawn and Kale have agreed to put on a pure handgun shooting skills match following the IDPA format, on Sunday, Sept. 9th. Scenarios that are based on real life problems, scored as a combination of speed, tactics and accuracy. 6-8 stages, over 100 rounds. Cost: $15.00

And, for the final match of the year, your leader in arms, (me), will put together another combination "FAS Tactical and Handgun Championship" match and chili feed, (we still have some left over from last year). 4 stages in the morning of pure shooting challenges, and in the afternoon, 4 more tactical challenges. (or is it the other way around, I’m not sure). But we will have a lot of fun and see if Chuck Anderson and Rich Bitow can come back and defend their crowns.
Cost: $25.00 includes lunch.

SATURDAY, MARCH 10TH STEEL MATCH RICH B. , BOB AND RACHAEL

SATURDAY, MAY 5TH 3-GUN MATCH WAYDE, EARLE AND RAYE

SUNDAY, MAY 6TH HANDGUN TACTICAL MATCH WAYDE, EARLE AND RAYE

SUNDAY, JULY 8TH HANDGUN TACTICAL MATCH CLAY, TRACY AND MARYBETH

SUNDAY, SEPT. 9TH IDPA STYLE HANDGUN MATCH RICH F. , KALE AND SHAWN

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 11TH FAS HANDGUN TACTICAL AND HANDGUN SHOOTING CHAMPIONSHIPS

All matches start registering shooters at 9:00 am, and shooting starts at 10:00 am. We sincerely hope you will consider attending one or all the matches. Without participation, the matches will go away. I personally would like to thank those who help make last seasons matches a success, and look forward to working with this years match directors to make this year even better. If anyone needs to reach me about these matches, the phone number is 1-360-978-6100. But, is probably easier to communicate e-mail, "[email protected]". See you all on March 10th!!!
Marty
Old March 16, 2001, 06:23 AM   #18
deanf

I know 3 PNW TFLers who are interested. And we just happen to have those May days off.
Old March 18, 2001, 12:10 PM   #19
pax

I'm really looking forward to this. Count me in for sure.

pax
Old March 19, 2001, 11:29 AM   #20
Marty Hayes

Since I will have to send out maps to the place, I'll take the lead in coordinating this. Please e-mail me your snail mail address, and I'll send a map out to the place. Will also see how many people are coming, to get a headcount.

Also, be sure to print out a copy of those rules of engagement, as they will be the rules we operate under for this match.

e-mail address is: [email protected]
Old March 21, 2001, 11:03 AM   #21
Marty Hayes

So far, have received only two confirmations of attendance. Is this all that are going to make it?
Old March 26, 2001, 02:35 PM   #22
pax

btt
Old March 28, 2001, 02:49 PM   #23
PropellerHead

I just stumbled across this and am very excited about the idea! I recently picked up a shotgun and now have what I need to compete in a 3-gun match! Woo-Hoo!

I need to check with my social coordinator (aka wife) to see if we're free that weekend. If we are, this sounds like a lot of fun. I'll let my fellow "gun-nut" friends know about this. I think they'll be interested too.

Old April 9, 2001, 04:02 PM   #24
SKN

BTT
Old April 13, 2001, 10:33 PM   #25
swestby

I'll head up that'away...

I'll head up that'away, God willin' and the creeks don't rise between here and there, and there aren't any high power sport rocket launches that weekend.

Steve Westby
Hillsboro, OR