The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2009, 05:49 PM   #1
mp25ds4

new shotgun

hey folks I am looking to buy a new shotgun(mainly for home defense) for around 250$, I do not want one with a wooden stock i would prefer synthetic or metal, I am also trying to decide if I need a 12Guage or 20 Guage (my wife needs to be able to shoot it) any recommendations/preferences?
Old March 16, 2009, 05:55 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

20 with heavy loads is as hard on recoil as a light 12 hands down... the 20 shines in the hands of a smaller person as it is lighter and easier to carry, mount and point.
IMHO, I prefer the mossberg for the location of the safety and action release. It is a venerable proven platform. Low cost too.
Even a few bucks less but having a crossbolt safety rather than top of tang button is the maverick 88. Both guns can be bought with various length and configurations of barrels. I will say unless you need high capacity... stay with the 5+1 standard models as there are a ton mre barrels available from 18 to 28 inch.
What is your intended use for this new gun?
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 06:37 PM   #3
colostomyclown

a metal stock? lol
Old March 16, 2009, 06:41 PM   #4
Carryabigstick

Well after market folding ones maybe?
Old March 16, 2009, 07:37 PM   #5
mp25ds4

its just something I want to have incase of a breakin, etc.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:06 PM   #6
New_Pollution1086

Go to your local gunnery and take a look at the pumps. You can't go wrong with the remington or mossberg lines.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 16, 2009, 08:17 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A 5+1 in mossberg will serve that need well I know many prefer the remington but any 18 inch shotgun should suffice. With a 20 gauge you are limited to the smaller #2 or 3 buck which is still a bad round to face down. The 12 gives you the option of any and all shot sizes including 00 or even 000 buck shhot and reduced recoil HD/LEO rounds...
So I would have to steer you to consider the 12... Accuchoke threaded barrel allows for greater versatility if you want to hunt of shoot clay sports to learn to be super accurate at HD point shooting... the regular synthetic stock is best IMHO for the widest variety of shooter...
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 08:29 PM   #8
mp25ds4

the mossberg maverick 88 looks pretty good for the price
Old March 16, 2009, 08:53 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you are fully comfortable with a crossbolt safety and can in grain the "right is right" method to remember in the heat of HD which direction is "HOT" then by all means it is a fine weapon. The action release tab is in the same great location... This is even mentioned by the folks who prefer the refined feel of the 870.
If your 88 feels "gritty" in action I can assist you in the fine sanding of the components over the phone once you follow the video to tear it down... smooth as butta!
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 09:13 PM   #10
RoscoeC

I'm a Remington 870 guy. For versatility the pumps just can't be beat. I'm only a Remington guy because that is what I started with and it is the platform I know like the inside of my teeth.

The Mossbergs have an equally venerable reputation, so you won't go wrong with either.

The real secret is to pick one, and shoot and manipulate until in is like an extension of your hands. Learn to load it without looking at it. Learn to manipulate the weapon like you drive your car. So it is second nature. It is easier than you think.

I strongly recommend that you take a course from a recognized professional. You will be amazed at what you don't yet know.

I agree with the assessments of the 20 ga. It will get the job done. The recoil is not significantly different form a 12 ga. It is, however, smaller and lighter and easier to manage by someone of smaller stature.
NRA Life Member
Old March 16, 2009, 09:30 PM   #11
cv0lv0g0

beat me to mossberg

First of all how accurate is your wife with firearms.

If she was accurate i would chose a mossburg 500 road blocker but lowest price i see is $449.00.Ithaca is out of the picture (PRICE).
sry but if you want a reliable shotgun save some money average price for a good one is 400+. Advice you want a short barrel of 18 in. or want ever is legal in you state that has a extended mag size.

P.S. go to a local gunsmith who has a good record ask him.

P.S.S (not some random guy on the street.)
Old March 16, 2009, 09:34 PM   #12
olddrum1

(my wife needs to be able to shoot it)

Your the man! Dear, I think I heard a burgalar and can you bring me back a beer?
Old March 16, 2009, 09:39 PM   #13
cv0lv0g0

i know

my question (how accurate) horrible-amateur-pro

LOL
Old March 16, 2009, 09:47 PM   #14
cv0lv0g0

shotgun

(HUSBAND IN ARMCHAIR WATCHING RAMBO)(SHOTGUN GOES OFF) "WOW THIS HD IS SWEET" (WIFE IN BACKGROUND SAYING) "honey I think my shoulder is broken." (STILL SETTING IN ARMCHAIR) "one sec let me finish the movie"

NO MEANING TO YOU OR YOU WIFE I JUST MADE THIS UP AS A JOKE OK NO OFFENSE.

Last edited by cv0lv0g0; March 16, 2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: corrections =]
Old March 16, 2009, 10:01 PM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Why add a pound or better to the end of the the barrel with a goofy ninja-esque muzzle add on that is pretty much useless... Plain barrels are for real HD and add ons are only to sell to the "nether world" zombie poachers...
A good aftermarket recoil pad is hands down better than a steel rolling pin!
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 10:11 PM   #16
cv0lv0g0

recoil

if it built specifically for the shot gun its fine for firing slug but for everything else not really. Only reason i would have that is for more stabilization at distance not really use full in close quarters. any ways curved stokes allow the gun to push up so recoil pads only absorb the recoil not to keep the firearm steady that why i was also going to tell him to to get a strait folding stock with a recoil pad.

ask question i didn't explain everything here
Old March 16, 2009, 10:21 PM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Are you suggesting a pistol grip only shot gun for home defense? Put a few years of deliberate self training and target shooting thousands of rounds and then lets do a "shoot" Daylight and dark. Distance and close in. Forward and rearward motion. I have had and practiced with both... A regular stock is more printable, and retainable than a PGO. Plus an empty regular stock makes a fine club! with plenty of rounds down range a less than "thick" lady can be a real force to reckon with. Even shooting full 00 loads I have seen a 90 pound woman of 5'4" make many men look like chumps with a 12 gauge. I mean fast fire forward motion shooting at a poster board sheet with a COM and head drawn on it. And I assure you she would be just as tuff in a real life situation...
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 10:37 PM   #18
cv0lv0g0

"Are you suggesting a pistol grip only shot gun for home defense?" ANS:No i have a Ithaca DS police special with the wooden stock. He hasn't defined he wife's shooting ability yet so I'm only preparing. I'm sorting out what configuration his wife would need in a firearm and model.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:45 PM   #19
colostomyclown

lol @ the road blocker muzzle. not only is it completely worthless, my god is it hideous
Old March 16, 2009, 11:49 PM   #20
colostomyclown

my suggestion is to look around used for a Mossberg 500a. flat black finish (parkerized) is preferable but blued (shiny black) is fine. You can usually find a quality gun used for the same price youd pay for a budget maverik new (200-300 for a FINE gun). Like brent said, a 5+1 configuration is just fine. if you can't neutralize a threat with 6 rounds of 00 buck, either hire a bodyguard or RUN LIKE HELL from whatever didnt go down! Learn to point and shoot your new shotgun with a full stock. The pistol grip in my opinion is a very specialized application/technique at best and a great way to look like a tacticlown/e-thug at worst, depending on it's user.
Old March 17, 2009, 09:14 AM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
sry but if you want a reliable shotgun save some money average price for a good one is 400+.
Outside milsurp $400 might be a bottom for reliable pistols and rifle. Not really though.
For shotguns I think $250 is enough. You can get a mossberg 500 deer/waterfowl combo on sale a couple times a year from Dicks. The deer barrel is 20 inches I believe, but still short enough for use in a house.
A maverick 88 is available for right at $200 I believe and seems to be a fine gun for HD. I would not want to run thousands of rounds through it, but a hundred or so to practice is all she will probably want anyways.

USed and you have a lot of good options
Old March 17, 2009, 09:44 AM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

John, Don't knock the Mav 88. It has the same receiver, action components and trigger group as the 500 and barrel too... I think they may skip the final sanding of the bolt slide but a single piece of 320 or 400 grit sand paper will fix that
Brent
Old March 17, 2009, 10:56 AM   #23
Housezealot

I think that roadblocker muzzle would be a very useful, while the bad guy was doubled over laughing at you, you would have all the time in the world to make a decent shot
Old March 17, 2009, 02:38 PM   #24
RoscoeC

An oversized pistol with a road apple stuck on the end would make you laugh?

It is almost as stupid as the Mossberg Rolling Thunder.

Mossberg makes some fine products, but they have no problem at all pandering to the lowest common denominator.
NRA Life Member
Old March 17, 2009, 04:55 PM   #25
cv0lv0g0

rolling thunder

rolling thunder is over rated,but the mussel break on road blocker is a compensator so it will help more with recoil. Also if it is that heavy as you saying it is, well then it will control the recoil even more.

to show the curved stock that i mentioned before
ok now with a strait stock recoil you can sell more. also it is held more steady now with this m107's case the mussel break has been built for it. it also has a free floating barrel with heavier spring. (heavily as in amount needed for absorption)(NOT WEIGHT)

[if it were me I would get an Ithaca]

Last edited by cv0lv0g0; March 17, 2009 at 05:01 PM.