The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 6, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
Overscore

Load/cycle counter for presses

Ok, this isn't something I've seen, but I'm not ready to assume that it's because it doesn't exist. But, does anyone manufacture counting devices for presses, such that it keeps a running count of the number of times you cycle the handle, throughout the life of the machine? I come from the world of tractors, and I'm used to hour meters, so I'm wondering if a comparable concept exists in the world of reloading presses.

Yes, I realize there are countless ways to track things, but this is more a question of curiosity than it is of planned usage or implementation.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

For home reloading I have never seen one. I don't know about manufacture's machines.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:46 PM   #3
GWS

I made a pretty inexpensive primer counter for my Pro 2000 with the help of an electronics whiz. It has a micro-controller that was programed the way I wanted it.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...=round+counter

The Press Monitor products are pretty pricy, but if you don't mind that, they just may be what you are looking for.

Press Monitor

Carl's Electronic Kits sells this up/down micro-controller controlled kit ($23.00) that could be powered by an old phone power supply, and the counting input could be a strategically placed micro-switch similarly to what I did with the primer counter above. (you do need a soldering iron)

Up/Down Counter
Old February 7, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4
Overscore

Interesting stuff there. Thanks!
Old February 7, 2013, 12:23 AM   #5
dacaur

There are hundreds if not thousands of different mechanical counters avalable, you just need to figure out how to mount it so some part of the handle or ram hits it every time you pull the handle... mechanical would be my choice so you dont have to worry about batteries....

here is one example.... http://www.amazon.com/Tally-Number-M...anical+counter

im sure a little searching could come up with a 6 digit version...
Old February 7, 2013, 09:53 AM   #6
jmorris

I set up the PLC in the video below to count the total rounds made, and primers remaining (down from 100).

I have seen folks that have modified pedometers into round counters. Or you could buy a manual version.

Old February 7, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
rlc323

Dillon used to sell a counter for their machines but they discontinued them a few years back. They pop up on ebay from time to time for around $35.

I have seen various "redneck" engineered designs on the net. Most involving a mechanical clicker connected with your choice of springs, baling wire, shoelaces, or bathtub stopper chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chuckie68_2012_13011.jpg (97.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg kolarshooter_2008_03032.jpg (129.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg kolarshooter_2008_03033.jpg (143.2 KB, 16 views)
Old February 7, 2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Don P

Simplest and cheapest counter. Number of rounds loaded X the number of time you must pull/push/cycle the handle to make a complete round, up and down as 1 or up and down as 2, your choice.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:25 PM   #9
DASHZNT

My counting device on my Dillon is quite simple. When the primer tube is empty, 100 rounds are finished and I refil the tube with another 100 primers to make another 100 rounds... It never fails me either!

DASHZNT
Old February 7, 2013, 01:26 PM   #10
Overscore

Yes, may sound odd, but I'm more interested in tracking the usage of the machine than the number of rounds I make, if that makes sense. Sure, they're one and the same, but different in my mind somehow anyway.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Don P

Quote:
Yes, may sound odd, but I'm more interested in tracking the usage of the machine than the number of rounds I make, if that makes sense. Sure, they're one and the same, but different in my mind somehow anyway.
Huh? Ok, to each there own on how one looks at things.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #12
Overscore

Quote:
Huh? Ok, to each there own on how one looks at things.
For analogy's sake, back to the hour meter on machinery, I'm more interested in knowing how many hours a machine has been used, as opposed to how many holes have been dug by the backhoe, let's say. But yeah, this doesn't really matter.
Old February 7, 2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Misssissippi Dave

For what you want it seems easy enough to do. Connect a 12 v. dc power supply to an hour meter with a light to make your work easier to see. Using an off and on switch you simply turn it on when you start loading and turn it off when you finish. This will give you an approximate number of hours of use. Most people figure usage buy the number of rounds produced.
Old February 8, 2013, 09:41 AM   #14
jmorris

Hours used might be important on something like a backhoe because and odometer doesn't work when you have the machine parked but are still running the engine digging a hole.

On a reloading press you could have vastly different outcomes. I could sit down at a single stage press for two hours and have a few hundred rounds made or move down the bench and have a few thousand turned out in the same time on a progressive.
Old February 8, 2013, 10:19 AM   #15
BigD_in_FL

There are a few I know, but they are shotshell presses. Allows you to keep track and has a reset button to zero out if desired