The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 10, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
carguychris

Fn 1922?

Howdy all,

I've handled a couple of FN / Browning Model 1922s at gun shows, and it seems like a pretty neat little pistol available for a reasonable price. I'm interested to hear more about them from anyone who owns one and/or has fired one extensively. I prefer functional collectibles, so I'd like to hear any hints on what to look out for.

I've also read that these can be found with WWII Nazi proofmarks, although I understand that it wasn't an official issue handgun for front-line troops. More info about this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Footnote: I'm not interested in debating the effectiveness of the .32ACP round for SD. That's why I'm posting this in the "C&R" section rather than the "General Handgun" or "Semi-Auto" section. Cheers!

Last edited by carguychris; April 10, 2009 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Didn't capitalize the "N" in "FN" in title...
Old April 10, 2009, 01:13 PM   #2
DrLaw

The 1922 was an 'extention' of the 1910 model. You have probably noticed that there is a shroud around the barrel and a clip holding it in place. That was Browning's answer to those agencies that wanted a longer barrel and additional ammunition. This allowed the use of 1910 slides without too much more machining done. The request was basically from European Law Enforcement for a duty/holster gun as opposed to a hide-out gun. The longer barrel of course, gave a better sight radius, the grip length allowed for a lanyard attachment point. Back then, the .32 Auto was considered a law enforcement round in Europe. The 1910 was already established in police work and was considered to be a safe pistol. John Browning used to carry one and practice with it regularly.
The 1922, if you look at it as a big brother to the 1910, is only a natural evolution of the 1910 with minimum of effort and mechanics.

The Doc is out now.

And PS, I was not going to argue effectiveness of caliber. I've seen people who felt the effects of a .32. We used body bags to carry them.
Old April 10, 2009, 01:26 PM   #3
DrLaw

The Doc is back in.

As to the rest of your question. The Germans had been limited by the Treaty of Versailles as to the size of their military. When they really got rolling, they took guns where they could find them for their officers. All sorts of different guns were used in the various branches. You could find officers with Ortgies, Mauser .25's, Mauser HSc's, Sauers, Ruby's and Alkartasuna's from Spain, etc...

Some guns, like the Radom, were made by slave labor. There is some dispute as to the safety of such slave labor guns. Were they made from inferior materials or sabotaged labor? That debate will range on for a long while.

What you are looking for is a gun that is not too rusted or pitted. Whether or not it has German proof marks is a matter of choice. The Waffenampt (spelling might not be right there) was a little spread-wing eagle atop a swastika in a circle. These can be easily forged, just to run up the cost of the gun. Watch for cracks in the grips. Check to see if it still functions. The mechanism is very simple. It is a striker fired pistol with grip safety that has to be in for it to fire. Takedown is simple, too, and you can find that elsewhere rather that for me to try to explain it here. Watch for rebluing, too. Not many of these guns seem to be out there in pristine condition. These were duty guns, used, abused, out there in all weather. In holsters, bouncing around, wearing the finish, etc...

Oh yeah, check the barrel, as these guns, having been used, can also be used as shooters, too. If the barrel does not look like the surface of the moon inside, you probably have a shooter. If it looks like Shreck moved in, pass on it.

The Doc is now out again.