The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 26, 2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Wittel3

.223 Rem American Comparison

Hey all, I'm having the debate in my head between a Ruger M77, a Remington 700, and a Savage Model 10 for a future rifle all with a .223 Rem chamber.

Drawbacks of any? Experiences? Advice?

Thanks all,
-Wittel
Old May 26, 2012, 12:25 PM   #2
wingman

For out of the box accuracy Savage is difficult to beat,I've owned all three at some point. I believe Remington quality control has suffered past few years, Savage weak point is some of there stocks which can be upgraded but I've had good luck with their laminated. Rugers are tough,reliable but accuracy is hit and miss, opinions from previous purchases,you will I'm certain see other opinions.
As an after thought would like to suggest Thompson Center precision hunter, don't know about the newer models I have one about 3 years old and it is a super accurate rifle out of the box added scope and begin shooting less then .500 groups @100 yards.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:42 PM   #3
RAMZ707

My experiences have led me away from Savage rifles, Ruger and Remington have both been great rifles in my opinion. All the Savage guns I have shot seem to have a cheap slapped together feel to them. All the Ruger and Remington guns I have shot/owned have always given me the feeling of pride in there craftsmanship. There are plenty of Savage owners out there that would completely disagree with me....but that's just my opinion!!!
Old May 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #4
RAMZ707

Last edited by RAMZ707; May 26, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
jmr40

What are you going to do with it? What is your budget? Do you want a dedicated target rifle, heavy varmit rifle, or a lightweight walking around rifle?

I think Winchester is building the best all around rifles right now followed by Ruger. But neither would be my 1st choice if extreme target grade accuracy is needed. Either would be more than adequate for general purpose hunting.

My experiences with Savage are not that good. They get lots of praise on the internet, but I've never shot one that lived up to the hype nor found one accurate enough to earn a spot in my safe. I could find a way to live with their butt ugly looks and cheap cheesy feel if they actually performed, but so far I've not found one that did.

There are many versions made by all of the various manufacturers. Depending on the use I might suggest a Remington if pure accuracy is your goal, and Kimber if a lightweight walking around rifle is your goal. Get back with us with a better idea of your uses and budget and we can better advise.
Old May 26, 2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Mobuck

I used to be a no questions Remington man but have gone through a transformation since too many of them have not performed as expected.
Savages look and feel cheap but very few I've shot failed to surprise me with their performance. The older ones for short rounds are heavier than needed.
I really like the asthetics of the Ruger rifles but haven't owned one for quite a while so can't comment on current production. I shot some older ones that were problematic with accuracy. Howa(not mentioned in the OP) seems to combine good looks with very respectable performance at a good price.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:09 PM   #7
10-96

Man, I hate to be one of those guys who recommends something that isn't in the original question... but here I go.

If I was in the market for another bolt gun in .223- I would have to have a gun to my head and choked half to death not to get another CZ 527 American. Seriously, have you looked into them?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:22 AM   #8
cornbush

I have Remington and Ruger, I'll take the new Rugers thank you, I like the old Remingtons , but you can keep the new ones.
Old May 27, 2012, 11:30 AM   #9
BIG P

Buy to fit chore at hand.All are nice rifles.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
tailchain

I have to ditto the recommendation of the CZ 527. I own two, one a very accurate .223, the other a custom barreled .17/.22 Ackley Hornet that shoots one hole all day long. They are the best quality build around for under a thousand bucks.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:13 PM   #11
4runnerman

Savage all the way. To upgrade stockis minor and they will out shoot remmy and ruger in a heart beat hands down. They are not the best looking rifles by far,but you want to admire it or shoot it?. Look at the Model 12 FVSS.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:45 PM   #12
oldmanFCSA

223 vs 5.56

If you reload, buy with a 5.56X45 chamber.
The inceased Throat distance will allow for a longer seated bullet, IF the magazine will allow for the increased length capability.
If you want to use the longer heavier projectiles, then consider a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. Most 223 rifles from factories have a 1:12 twist, some may have a 1:10. These are a bit slow for proper stabilization of heavier longer projectiles.

Have Fun - My wife enjoys her Howa 1500, and I like my 7 different AR's, my kids like their Ruger Number One's in Varmit model.

My favorite was a Rem 788 in 222Rem rechambered to 223Rem with a 1:14 twist. Using 40-45 grain bullets loaded Hot, it was a tackdriver literally. Still kicking myself in the butt for selling to a "friend" who won't sell it back.
Old May 27, 2012, 02:13 PM   #13
hooligan1

I have owned one of the Remington 700's in 3006, a Weatherby Vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag, and now I own two Savage rifles that shoot very very well, I don't think they're ugly, no sir, nor do I think I'd ever purchase a new Remington 700, but that new Ruger American is a looker and if it shoots as good as any Savage, then I'd own one for sure.