The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2001, 09:58 PM   #1
eyeball

Bullet Proof Vests and Knifes

can a bullet proof vest withstand a knife shanking?
Old September 14, 2001, 11:55 PM   #2
Seeker

How to best defeat a vest with a blade? Say a Ka-bar?

Does a stab require a lot of force? Can it be wiggled in? What about if you put it against the vest and then thrust?

Anybody have a vest they can use for research?

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old September 15, 2001, 03:30 AM   #3
SMHeaton

In the Second Chance catalog, they have vests that are specifically designed to withstand knife attacks (It seems to me they market these more heavily to corrections officers.) and on other vests they have warnings that the vests will not defeat knife attacks.

So I guess it depends on the design...

Regards,
SMHeaton
Old September 15, 2001, 10:24 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

The most correct answer is NO. Ballistic vests are not designed for dealing with knives and ice picks. Stab vests protect against these threats, but not bullets.

Of course, a nice thick vest would help protect you against slashes, just as wearing a few layers of denim jacket. Here, the ballistic vest simply provides a thick layer of extra clothing. A high tech Second Chance ballistic vest that is very thin would be poorer at this task than an older and low tech very thick vest.

I do recall that some companies make combination vests, but they are about twice as thick since they do two jobs.
Old September 15, 2001, 10:42 AM   #5
Jorah Lavin

Fine chain mail?

I think that if I was expecting to be exposed to knife stabs, I'd infest in some finely made interlocked chain mail to wear under a bullet-resistant vest.

Now, if I could walk and breathe with this combination is another question.

-J.

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old September 16, 2001, 10:38 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

This is another reason that the steel plates should be considered in a vest. A blade may defeat kevlar, but it won't punch a steel plate.

Old September 17, 2001, 02:28 AM   #7
eyeball

haha... that stuff is like the stuff that King Arthur and the knights of the roundtable used to wear... lol
Old September 17, 2001, 03:41 AM   #8
Jorah Lavin

eyeball, I was mostly joking,

but I assure you, good-quality chain mail was the high-tech of that era, and still does the job it was meant to do; slow or even stop pointed and edged weapons. With good-quality alloy steels and titaniums, a modern version could be light and impressively strong.

-Jorah
Old September 17, 2001, 12:09 PM   #9
eyeball

:p

lol
Old September 17, 2001, 03:12 PM   #10
Coronach

You laugh

They use very fine chainmail to armor some divers to resist shark bites, there is absolutley no theoretical reason why some form of very fine hi-tech material chainmail would not work amazingly well against thrusts or slashes by the average knife.

I, myself, considered this some time ago...and I'm sure I was not the first.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein