The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2009, 10:40 AM   #1
orvp3

Savage 219 help

I have an early (1938?) 219 that apparently needs some internal repair. No one I've talked to wants to touch it, especially after seeing the internal workings. Any thoughts? I can ship the action to anywhere, although I'm in the Pacific NW.
Old June 5, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, that gun is not that complex, and anyone who has worked on a single or double shotgun should have no probem with it. Most parts are still available from Gun Parts (www.gunpartscorp.com).

The problem is the worth of the gun. In average shape, they only bring around $100, retail. Gunsmiths like to get around $50 an hour (if you think that is high, have you called a plumber lately?), so that any serious repairs would cost more than the gun is worth. All gunsmiths shy away from making repairs that will cost more than the value of the gun because customers will very often simply abandon the gun rather than pay for the repair, leaving the gunsmith out his time and the cost of parts.

If you want to tackle the job yourself, as I said parts are available and it can be an educational experience. If you mess things up, you have not harmed a valuable gun.

Jim
Old June 6, 2009, 07:25 AM   #3
PetahW

What "internal repair" does your Savage 219 apparently need ?

I've fixed a couple of my own - and well worth spending a few $$$ on - since when they even appear on one of the online auctions for about $350 or so, they disappear in a New York Minute, being considered a very desireable rifle by afficiacondos.

Old June 6, 2009, 11:34 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

IMHO, $350 would be a lot too high, but that is what auctions are all about, I guess. Still might be hard to get a gunsmith to work on it.

I have no license, but if PetahW does he might be willing to tackle your gun.

Jim
Old June 13, 2009, 07:02 PM   #5
orvp3

Values

This is a gun that belonged to my dad, and I'd like to keep it around regardless of thev actual $$$ value or repair cost. The lever moves about halfway over, no longer cocks the action, and it won't open or release.
Old June 15, 2009, 07:35 AM   #6
PetahW

That sounds like the action needs to come apart, to see what has either broken or slippped it's retainer.

The sick area should be visible, after removing the buttstock, and looking upward toward the underside of the area where the lever pivot interacts with cocking the striker and withdrawing the barrel locking bolt (with a good light).

If you're not mechanically inclined, try googling "shotgun repairs", for gunsmiths, to see if one will take it on.

http://www.felandgunsmith.com/

I can't have you ship it to me, jokes aside, because I'm retired & am no longer an FFL holder.

Old June 15, 2009, 09:42 AM   #7
orvp3

Thanks

I'll keep after it 'till we gitterdun. Note that I haven't mentioned how well the old Hornet shoots, tough trigger and all, because few would believe me. Thanks again for your attention.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:46 PM   #8
pilothunter

Good luck. I sure love the mint 30/30 219 I managed to get ahold of last year. They are really nice old rifles, tough to find any more.
Old June 23, 2009, 11:12 AM   #9
pilothunter

When I saw these couple ads this morning, it reminded me of this posting recently about the Savage 219. Thought some might be interested to see the type interest they bring and the price someone might pay for some good examples:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/912238138..._Model_219.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/916660978..._Model_219.htm

http://www.gunsamerica.com/949643134...Model_219.htm#
Old June 25, 2009, 03:07 PM   #10
blu97

You can take the buttplate off and remove the stock, that will give you a look at the action.