The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 10, 2007, 04:28 PM   #1
porkskin

scored a 3' colt cobra at gun show

in Fort Worth. tell me about this gun, no box, original grips, bluing good. doesn't seem to be shot much. paid $400. talked the owner down from $450. good deal? pictures to follow hopefully. the cylander does lock up a little looser than my smiths though. is that a colt thing or do i need to have a smith look her over. the gun just felt great in my hand and points so good
Old March 10, 2007, 06:55 PM   #2
hpg

any pics??????????????
Old March 10, 2007, 07:29 PM   #3
dgludwig

I think you did real good. That extra inch on the barrel goes a long way in terms of value to a collector.
Old March 10, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Majic

First make sure you are checking lock-up correctly. The old Colt action locks up solid while the Smith action has a little play. First cock the hammer then release it with the trigger. Continue holding the trigger back (never releasing pressure off the trigger as the hammer falls) and check the cylinder lock-up. There should be no movement in the cylinder at all. If there is movement then have the Colt repaired by a qualified Colt gunsmith. Be sure the gunsmith is qualified as not all smiths can correctly repair Colts.
Old March 12, 2007, 07:29 AM   #5
porkskin

thanks! it locks up like a bank vault when i properly checked it. can't believe i didn't know that. are the colt "y" frames like this +p rated? that is the only carry ammo I had on hand, but would practice with standard velocity. Last question, how the heck were these not more popular? i would much prefer an all steel dick special to an all steel cheif's.
Old March 12, 2007, 06:30 PM   #6
porkskin

come on wheelgunners! give me some help
Old March 12, 2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Bart Noir

The Cobra is a "D" frame, not "y" frame. It is also an aluminum frame. I won't coach you on loads except to say that I won't shoot +P in my Agent. The Agent is basically the first version of the Cobra.

The "can I shoot +P in D-frame / Detective Special / Cobra / Police Positive Special?" question comes up on a regular basis. And Mr. dfariswheel answers, and when he does, all should pay attention. I suggest using the search function.

Bart Noir
Old March 12, 2007, 09:22 PM   #8
SW40F

"scored a 3' colt cobra" a 3-foot barrel, now that I'd like to see
Old March 13, 2007, 03:53 PM   #9
markj

Quote:
a 3-foot barrel

Isnt that the .88 magnum?
Old March 13, 2007, 06:53 PM   #10
lockedcj7

Quote:
Isnt that the .88 magnum?
It shoots through schools.
Old March 13, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
roy reali

Felt Recoil?

That long of a barrel must really help with recoil!
Old March 13, 2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

"Last question, how the heck were these not more popular?"

They WERE.
S&W didn't even both trying to compete against the small Colt revolvers until the Chief's Special of 1950.

From 1927 to the mid-1960's the Colt Detective Special, Cobra, and Agent were THE "gold standard" in small revolvers.
Virtually every cop in America owned a Colt Detective Special as a detective, undercover, or off-duty gun.
The Colt was so popular with cops the GUN was more a badge of office than the badge was.
Many cops "in the day" didn't bother pulling out the badge to identify themselves, they opened the coat to show the Detective Special.
Up until recently any one seeing a small Colt said, "That's a cop gun".

The only Colt "D" frame guns that were OK'd by Colt for use with t+P ammo were the post 1972 heavy, shrouded barrel models.

The steel framed Diamondback and Detective Special were rated for "up to" 3000 rounds.
The aluminum Cobra, Agent, and Viper were rated for up to 1500 rounds.
In all cases, after the recommended amounts, the gun was to be returned to Colt for possible frame replacement.

Many people practiced with the older non-rated "D" frame Colt's, and loaded up with +P for "business".
Shooting +P in the older guns won't result in a KA-BOOM, but the gun will wear much faster and will need factory repairs much sooner.

Due to the collectability of the rare 3" Cobra, I wouldn't shoot ANY +P ammo, rated or not.
Modern standard velocity premium .38 Special ammo is very effective so I'd save the gun and stick with non-+P.
Old March 14, 2007, 12:18 PM   #13
porkskin

thank you very much, Dfariswheel. Very informative. Wish some of the other posters-er- posers were as helpful as you.
Old March 14, 2007, 03:44 PM   #14
markj

Quote:
Wish some of the other posters-er- posers were as helpful as you.
You are right, I am sorry for my feeble attempt at humor.