The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 1, 2000, 03:27 AM   #1
jrs

Guys

I kind of need help. I have a DPMS kitty kat. It is a 6 inch barel with a 4 position switch. At full and 3 burst the thing jams. I leave in the Philippines and carry this when i go out of town in my car. But with this happening i bring my glock 18 full auto. I would like to bring the kitty kat as this has better stopping power could any one help me? I heard that i have to change the buffer to a highdrolic type but have not seen one. I tried to use a spring and buffer of a origenal colt and it worked better but it will jam some times

jrs
Old September 1, 2000, 08:05 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

What sort of jams are you getting? Stovepipes (where the empty brass sticks halfway out of the ejection port), doubling or something else?
The buffer is a common problem. Collapsible stock ARs use a different buffer than a full stock model. It is a heavier buffer and usually made of metal as opposed to the full stock's plastic version. Check out what sort of buffer you currently are using.
It could also be your ammunition. Have you tried another brand or weight of ammunition? Are you using 55gr or 62gr or something else? Surplus or commericial ammunition?
Another thing to check out is whether it jams on certain magazines only or with every magazine you have. It could be magazine-related too.
Old September 1, 2000, 06:29 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Sell it and buy an Uzi.
Old September 2, 2000, 07:41 AM   #4
jrs

fal308
I am using a lake city amo this all I can get and is the best over here not like over there you have alot of types here it is military round the but is a collapsible type metal type heavy buffer the type of jam is the first round goes off then the second one is fires but does not eject it out some people told me to get a highdrolic type I just dont know where to get it

George

I have one but i dont have a permit to carry this only my kitty kat and with a c-mag wow this is what i want to carry
Old September 2, 2000, 09:47 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Have you tried using different mags. USGI mags are the most reliable usually.
Are your springs still holding tension, especially your buffer spring? Though doubtful but have you checked your sear face? No burrs or cuts on the hook of the hammer?
Old September 2, 2000, 03:26 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

6" BBL? The gas pressure drops real quick with such a short barrel. To compensate for the quicker drop, the gas port is generally opened to allow more gas in to function the action. You may want to have someone check the port size. If it's the same size as a regular port, that may be the source of your problems.

Right now I don't remember off the top of my head the port size for a 20" or 16" bbl. I certainly don't know the size of a 6" bbl but if it's too small, that could very well be the source of your feeding problems.
Old September 2, 2000, 08:54 PM   #7
gunpdr

If you are based in Manila, try to let Manny Sunico have a look at your weapon. Where did you get it from? I also have one but it does not function dependibly so I rather carry my MP5.

[This message has been edited by gunpdr (edited September 02, 2000).]
Old September 3, 2000, 03:11 AM   #8
jrs

fal308
yup i did use several mags all new ones

4v50 gary
will look in to that (gas ports)

gunpdr
I have showen it to Manny he told my friend he will look at what the problem but it takes for ever for him to get to it I carry a mp5 too but it has no papers so i like to carry the kitty kat as that has papers I got mine from DPMS are you based here in manila if so let talk e-mail me at [email protected]
Old September 3, 2000, 08:20 AM   #9
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Good point Gary, I forgot all about the gas ports.
ost short barrels M16s have an axpansion tube built in. It could be also that the expansion tube is filled up with crud, unburnt powder etc. Have you cleaned out your gas tube ever?
Old September 4, 2000, 05:07 AM   #10
Dead

How easy is it to get an F/A in where you live?? Looks like I might be moving out into the Pacific!

Already know atleast one person close to my family there

------------------
Dead [Black Ops]
Old September 4, 2000, 07:07 AM   #11
gunpdr

jrs,

Try Doc Lantin...I hear that he also does work on the short barreled ARs. I have no personal experience with his work though. My kitty kat had the same type of jams...double feeding - the bolt would try to chamber the next round before the ejecting the first. I agree with 4v50 gary that the gas port needs to be enlarged. Another thing that I don't want to carry it is because of the muzzle blast!!!

I am working out of the country right now (central asia) but am able to get back home every 4 months.

I will contact you through your e-mail.

Hope you get your weapon fixed.

Leo

Old September 4, 2000, 09:08 AM   #12
jrs

Dead
It was easy last year but now with the new guy in. All permits to carry have been hard to get but the new guy is going out soon if so it happy days again

Gunpdr
If you come down please fill free to drop me a msg let have a drink and talk shop

jrs
Old September 8, 2000, 10:16 AM   #13
gunpdr

jrs,

I know you and I have met you at the DPMS booth during this year's SHOT Show. I was with Bob V. We also met the last time I was home, at Ralph's Makati. We were talking about your run-in with the MMDA at Julia Vargas Avenue.

Perhaps you can ask Bob to help you fix your kitty kat.

Regards