The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 21, 2002, 01:18 PM   #1
GlockPower

Surefire Z2 vs. Streamlight Scorpion

Which is better to get? I know the scorpion comes with an extra lamp, which is definatly a plus, and it is cheaper. I like the finger grooves and metal on the surefire also.

Which is brighter? And has batteries that last longer? Looks like the scorpion is brighter but both last same amount of time.

Z2:
65 lumens, 120 lumens

Scorpion:
70 lumens

So, Galls has the Z2 listed at 79.99 and the Scorpion at 44.99...is the Z2 that much better? Even though it doesn't come with a spare bulb?

Does the polymer holster for the Z2 possibly fit the Scorpion?
Old September 21, 2002, 02:35 PM   #2
AK103K

I have a couple of Scorpions. They are a great light. I like them better than the Surefires due to the rubber cover on the barrel and the enclosed switch. The rubber on the barrel makes it easy on the teeth when you need two hands and put the light in your mouth. I get about 1 hour burn time on the batteries. I keep one in my pocket all the time. The only bitch I have is the focus from spot to flood changes when its in your pocket. No biggie really, a piece of black tape solves that problem. For an all around light it cant be beat, especially at about half the price.
Old September 21, 2002, 02:57 PM   #3
nascarnhlnra

I have a scorpion and a surefire M-2 I.M.O. the surefire beats the scorpion on every front. The light is more pure looking from the surefire, the light is always focused, it has a lock out tail cap. That is the first time I have ever heard someone quote a scorpion in lumens instead of candlepower. Where did you get the lumen # on the scorpion? The scorpion is good for a nightstand H.D. light but not as good for carry in a holster and the like due to the absence of a lock out tail cap, the switch on the scorpion is very touchy I've already had to replace the cheesey lens on my scorpion due to unintended activation while driving in my truck . Everyone likes something different so some folks may like the scorpion better than the surefire .....I just like the overall quality and features of the surefire product better.
Old September 21, 2002, 07:57 PM   #4
[email protected]
Wise Guy

How about the new SureFire G2Z - we're selling them for 51.99 IIRC and they have the best of both worlds: Combatlight body design with polymer construction.

Inexpensive, lightweight, tough, bright.

What's not to like?
Old September 21, 2002, 11:45 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

What's not to like is the initial price of $52 plus the additional cost of $15-20 for replacement bulbs. They are very expensive as they come permanently affied to the reflector.

I have 2 Surefires and like them just fine. I have several Scorpions and like them better because they are less expensive, plenty bright, come with a spare bulb, plus replacement bulbs are only $5 each.

With either the Scorpion or the larger Z3 light, I can illuminate targets out to 100 yards well enough for FOF identification. In other words, but work great well beyond any distances I plan to shoot in a defensive situation. Even with the extra battery and higher output light, the Z3 is not work triple the cost of the Scorpion.

FYI, I have gotten my Scorpion from Botach Tactical. I know, as a business, they suck, but I don't pay more than $30 + sh for a Scorpion and have gotten them as cheap as $28, including the batteries.

Sort of like moving up from a stock 1911 to a semi-custom or custom job, you pay a lot more for the latter two options and don't get a comparable return on your investment. A $2K Wilson is not twice as good as a $1K Kimber or 3 times as good as a $680 Colt.
Old September 22, 2002, 07:36 AM   #6
Size15s

There is a similar discussion on www.candlepowerforums.com (CPF). The Scorpion drives it's lamp harder then SureFire. That's why the SureFire bulbs last about four times longer.

Many people talk of quality issues with the cheap Scorpion. The switch has been both difficult to activate and by others, turns on when holstered and melts the lens and holster. The Scorpion is not very water-resistant, and is often out of focus.

I am told that a larger beam (from the three SF123A SureFires) is more effective compared to a two SF123A SureFire when used to disorientate and confuse a BG in a lowlight/no-light environment.

Al
Old September 22, 2002, 08:41 AM   #7
notos&w

i asked the same question on another forum:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...hreadid=220340
Old September 22, 2002, 01:19 PM   #8
GlockPower

That was the calculated lumens I got from a website describing how to convert lumens to candlepower and vice versa. By no lockout tailcap, do you mean that You can't just keep it on without your finger having to be on the tailcap switch? Are there aftermarket pressure switches for the scorpion, to turn it into a weapon light?
Old September 22, 2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Andrew Wyatt

with a surefire, you can tighten the tailcap down so it keeps the flashlight activated, or loosen it so it won't activate the light accidentally.
Old September 22, 2002, 01:51 PM   #10
AK103K

By lockout, they mean that the switch can be disabled, or locked. I've never had any problem with my Scorpion switching on without me switching it on. I dont like the idea of having to fumble with it to get it on if I need it. The Scorpion's switch is covered with the rubber that covers the lights barrel. It gives you on with a little pressure, or on/off with a click. You can even light it with your tounge if you have it in your mouth. You can't add a remote switch to it. If you want a weapons light, I'd get one for the weapon you want it for. Things that can be used in different applications look good on paper, but never work out well in real life. The Scorpion I carry daily has been in my pocket since they first came out, a bunch of years anyways. The finish is worn off most of the metal, and the lens is a little frosty. It still lights everytime I hit the switch, (I've never had any trouble with their switches) and I get around 4-5 sets of batteries thru it on average before I need a new bulb. If I shine it in your eyes, you wont know if its a SureFire or a Streamlight, but you will be pissed. I'm not opposed to getting a SureFire, but at twice the price, I'd rather have two Scorpions.
Old September 23, 2002, 09:27 PM   #11
CAP1

I ran across the candlepower board a while back. Couldn't believe people would have a board dedicated to flashlights! Who would have believed it?
Then again, who would have believed there would ever be gun boards, hunting boards, FISHING boards?
If my So knew I looked at so many weird boards, no telling what she would think.
As for the flashlights, I only wanted Surefires until I ran across a couple of scorpians I want. Only because I'm a tightwad.
That said, I do own 2 Surefire lights, and want several more.
CAP
Old September 24, 2002, 11:31 AM   #12
Christopher II

GlockPower -

Could you post a link to that website?

It's my understanding that lumens cannot be converted to candlepower, and vise versa. They measure two different things.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old September 24, 2002, 01:06 PM   #13
Ledbetter

Two instead of one

I also have two Scorpions instead of one Surefire.

Trend or pattern?

Regards.
Old September 25, 2002, 09:12 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

As for the Scorpion's beam "often being out of focus," that is just incorrect. The beam can be adjusted. You can concentrate the beam or open it up some. With the Surefire, the beam is fixed.

The Scorpion is a less expensive light, but if you are looking for something for defense use, it will shine just fine out well beyond what most people are willing to shoot at night. I can illuminate a target out at 100 yards such as to be able to recognize who a person is. I can do that with my Surefires as well. The supposed concerns about the poorer beam quality of the Scorpion seems inconsequential if you can recognize a target at that distance. I don't know of any applications where I would need to be recogniing targets out further than that in regards to a defense situation.

I have used up both Scorpion and Surefire bulbs. My Surefire bulbs do NOT last 4 times longer than the Scorpion. Both lights are capable of overheating and melting the hell out of things. I have managed to ruin lenses on both. Neither are for long term illumination. Generally speaking, 3-5 minutes is tops before damage occurs, although it is more apt to occur on the Scorpion.

By the way, Botach has Scorpions on sale for $49. That comes with 20 Lithium batteries. At Wal-Mart, those would cost you $120 for the batteries alone.
Old September 25, 2002, 02:38 PM   #15
Sodbuster

Convert from candlepower to lumens multiply by 12.566

Convert lumens to candlepower multiply by 0.07958

Source: Pocket Ref, Thomas J. Glover
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old September 25, 2002, 03:15 PM   #16
nascarnhlnra

If the beam on the scorpion can be adjusted than YES it can be out of focus when turned on
Old September 25, 2002, 05:21 PM   #17
Size15s

The trouble with trying to convert CP is that you don't know anything about how the CP value was created.
Lumens ratings of SureFires are the outputs their flashlights collected in a calibrated integrating sphere.
Mean Spherical Candlepower M.S.C.P can be converted into Lumens. "Candlepower" or peak beam candlepower is more a marketing tool then a scientific rating.

Take the SL35X with it's ~19Watt lamp - rated by StreamLight at 40,000 CP. That's 502640 Lumens.
Sounds a bit on the high side to me.
500Lu perhaps? the SureFire N62 500Lu lamp is about ~19Watts.

What I'm trying to say is that when flashlight manufactures claim these huge CP values, they give us no idea of how this value is created. It is better to compare flashlights based on batteries required, bulb Wattage and reflector diameter to get an indication of the beam.

Please show me the physics of how a beam of light coming from the Scorpion reflector can be focused when the lamp is in more then one position.

Thanks

Al
Old September 25, 2002, 08:41 PM   #18
Sodbuster

Yikes! How can 19W be rated at 40,000 CP? No, I'm not even going to look at the watt to cp conversion. Sales and Marketing has no business upsetting the laws of physics.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino