The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 17, 2006, 02:51 PM   #1
rem33

Winchester 1906 stock

I accrued a Winchester 06 in pretty good shape. Blue has turned a nice brown but no rust pits etc. and it works like a new one.
The stock has the half moon , crescent with the steel butt plate like the 1890 model. I figured it had been changed as the gun was made in 1923, so it has been around some time and those stocks are not the strongest. Talking to a guy with old Winchesters at a gun show this weekend and he told me some of the '06's came with the crescent stocks. Anyone know anything about this?
Old July 18, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The standard '06 came with a round barrel and composition (gutta percha?) buttplate. But the stocks interchange with the 1890 model. Winchester would make just about anything on special order, so no one can say that your '06 didn't come from the factory that way. Of course no one can say it did, either. I wouldn't pay any extra for the steel buttplate, though.

Jim