The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 17, 2006, 09:32 PM   #1
loki45

shotgun advice

hi i recently bought a mossberg 500 shotgun. i dont hunt ,or at least never have yet,and will use this gun for home defense. but ive never had a shotgun before and was looking for advice on a couple things.i was going to get the pistol grip and 18" barrel would this be a good idea? and what type of shells should i be using for home defense because im not shure what the difference is?thanks in advance for any help!
Old February 17, 2006, 10:04 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

PG only shotguns are not for the real world. They turn a fine close quarter shoulder weapon into an ungainly, inaccurate, hard kicking handgun.

Before you buy "Duty" ammo, get the lightest loads of birdshot you can find and learn with those.

A trap or skeet range is a great place to learn the basics, especially if there's an instructor handy.

And, the finest shotgun in the world is only as good as the operator. WE are the weakest link. ....l
Old February 17, 2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Ruger4570

DaveMcC: Good advice.. Loki45: A shotgun with pistol grip is basically a waste. most can't control them without a lot of practice. I have posted before on my feeling of the Rambo type mentality of HD. Most every post I have read is about 8 round mags, running gunfights, 30 rounds in reserve and on and on. No idiot breaking into your house wants to actually confront, even an unarmed homeowner, much less an armed one. Most breakins happen when they know you are not home, so the chances of an armed conflict is almost impossible. The chances of you needing more than one shot is unlikely so to me it is just some Macho "man" thing. Read the papers,, how many times in anyones memory has there been a running battle between a "perp and a homeowner. The whole thing gets stupid. Being prepared is fine,, thinking you are going to have to refight a war is dumb. It just ain't gonna happen, no matter how much you may think so or want to have it happen and prove your masculine prowess. If any members of this forum wonder why people get nervous about most of us having guns, this attitude is one of them. I don't think MOST people want to know you have a shotgun with an 18" barrel (legal or not) with 20 or more rounds on it, ready to shoot 15 or 20 times. I don't think the average person feels comfortable with the mentality of a person so wraped up in security. Do I have a HD gun,, absolutly. it is a 28" barrel Beretta 390, in my bedroom closet and it isn't loaded. I do have some #6 shot nearby too. My home has been broken into,, but the "jerks" were sure I wann't home when thay did. Do I live in fear of it, NO. Do I think they will break in when I AM home,, no. If they do,, do I think it will take more than one shot,, NO. I just wish people could put HD into some kind of realistic perspective.
Old February 18, 2006, 06:34 PM   #4
jhgreasemonkey

I Agree With The Previous Replies. Pistol Grip Shot Guns Are For The Movies. Youre Going To Want The Butt On There For Anything Usefull. Look At All Your Military, Competition, And Hunting Shot Guns. In My Opinion Pistol Grips Really Limit What The Shotgun Can Be Used For. If You Really Want The Combat Shotgun Look You Can Go With The Buttstock That Also Has A Pistol Grip On It. They Make Those For The Mossberg 500 In Addition To A Lot Of Other Cool Stuff. Have A Good Time With Your New Shotgun .
Old February 18, 2006, 07:43 PM   #5
GlocksRfun

I gotta disagree with those. I've got double pistol grips on my 500a and am pretty accurate with it. The only problem is it hurts my hands after a couple dozen shots. Luckily I'm not a girlie man and can handle a little pain. U can take ur hand and point it at something using ur periferal vision and be decently accurate. I can take my shotty with pistol grips and point it at something without lookiing down the barrel and have it pretty close to on target. U then look down the barrel and it's on. I have a barrel that has 1 bead for sights, at 50 feet I can hit the paper every time. It's more a personal prefference thing. I would suggest getting double pistol grips, 18 inch barrel and shoot 1 oz slugs out of it. As with any firearm, practice makes perfect. I don't suggest using any gun for self defense that u aren't comy shooting. I shoot trap with the pistol grips with no problems. I also have never really been hunting, my 500 is more for fun than anything. What percentage of houses burn down, but yet every house (hopefully) has a smoke detector. How many comercial airliners actually loose cabin pressure and have to use the air breathy things that pop down and use the seat as a flotation device. As the boyscouts would say, always be prepared. I'm a fan of a gun that is fun to shoot, and a double pistol grip gun is fun to shot, IMHO
Old February 18, 2006, 09:01 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glocks, any chance you can get down to MD soon with those PG shotguns?

This is the same challenge I've been posting for over 5 years with no takers.

You pick the COF, distance and ammo.

You use a PG only shotgun, with any option and addon you want. Belt feed, lazers, etc.

I use a standard stocked 870. It'll have a short barrel and maybe a mag extension.

We'll shoot for score. Time decides ties, but there will not be any.

Results posted rat cheer.

I will eat your lunch. How about it?
Old February 18, 2006, 10:00 PM   #7
GlocksRfun

lol, what's a COF?.. Is that trap shooting or what?... It's been a couple years since I shot trap, and if ur a champion award trophey having kinda shooter, it's not gonna matter what I shoot. but If I'm ever in the area, I'll let u know. That'd be fun. In all seriousness, a shoulder fired shotgun is always gonna be more accurate than a double pistol gripped one, It was sounding to me like people were saying that u couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one. Mine shoots slugs ok, like I said, I can hit a paper target at 50 feet, I'm not saying that I hit the center of it, but I can hit the target. In a home defense kinda situation, that'll be good enough. in close confinded spaces, the doupble pistol grips allow more manuverability and what not. I've shot trap with it and it's fun. If I'm gonna enter a compition I'm obviously gonna take a shoulder fired one. Like I said, I did it for purely for fun shooting. U tell the guy that u put double pistol grips on a shotty and u won't be able to hit anything, that ain't true. I don't get a very good pattern coming out of the barrel with birdshot cause I cut off 9 inches with a dremel back when I was 18.
Old February 19, 2006, 11:42 PM   #8
'75Scout

I have two companies that I prefer for Home Defense shotgun accessories. www.mesatactical.com and www.knoxx.com. Both have remarkable products and excellent customer service. That being said my ideal HD shotgun setup is an older Remington 870 Wingmaster that has an 18.5" barrel with an extended mag. I also have a Mesa tactical 4 shell holder and a Knoxx compstock, fast follow-up shots and quick reloads. I also recommend a surefire forearm and plan on getting one soon. In a home defense situation you need to be sure of you target and I feel the suprise of the blinding light will give you 1 to 2 seconds before they realise whats going on. Plenty of time to ID your target and react with deadly force if need be.
Old February 20, 2006, 01:13 AM   #9
GlocksRfun

Here's what I've got, I posted it on another thread and figured why not post it here also, so, here she is What's the single role for a PG shotty Eric?
Old February 20, 2006, 01:35 AM   #10
maas

hell the sound of you racking one in with the pump is enuff to scare the hell out of them oh ya no pistol grip pistol grips look cool......................on pistols

There's always one thing that makes Republicans look good on election day...........Democrats!
Old February 20, 2006, 09:53 AM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Course Of Fire. Term is used in practical shooting for a stage or round of a competition.

Once upon a time, Glocks, I was paid to shoot shotguns from the hip and to teach a few hundred other folks to do so too. I shot a few hundred rounds like that a month in the early 80s. Mine is an informed opinion.

If you did face me in the challenge, I'd kick your butt easily. If we swapped shotguns, you'd kick mine. A PG only shotgun is that much of a handicap.

Don't take my word for it. Get someone to time and score you on a few stationary targets, then do the same COF with a real shotgun. Then lose those PGs and properly equip that fine Mossie.

Erick, if ever someone ever picks up my gauntlet, I'll let you know PDQ. Please bring your camera.....