The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2001, 12:04 PM   #1
Redneck2

Shotgun loading question..

Never really thought about it 'til now, but all the threads here I've seen are pistol/rifle. I'm starting to get into sporting clays. Tons of fun. Fortunately it's like making love...you don't have to be good at it to enjoy it.

Anyway, I'd like to start loading for a 28 gauge (shells are kinda expensive). Thinking maybe one of the MEC's. Probably be doing 500 or so per month. Don't need real high volume. Your thoughts on presses, powder, etc. I load rifle/pistol on a Dillon. I have a chance to buy a SL 900 with all accessories for $500 Should get it and convert to the 28? Thanks in advance.
Old August 18, 2001, 07:12 PM   #2
zot

$77.00 for a MEC in 28 ga. I have one in 12 ga. and its not a
progressive, you have to move each shell to each station, but their well worth the money and makes good shells.
Old August 19, 2001, 09:12 AM   #3
yankytrash

Wish I could comment on the SL for you, but I can't. One thing I can say is that sounds a little high.

I use a Mec 600 Jr for both 12 and 20. The price was right, and speed is great. Shotgun shells move along pretty fast in any press. I picked the Mec because it's got more room for my long clumsy fingers.

I put a universal charge bar in it so I can mess with loads a little.

If you're doing 500 or so a month, I'd shop around for a good price. 500/month won't wear out the crappiest of presses. When I load shotgun, I do a garbage can at a time (never counted how many that is, but it's 33 gallons worth). The Mec has never given me a minute's trouble.

As powder goes, for skeet, just go with a typical shotgun powder. I use Unique for it's availability, and I've used Hodgen in a pinch, and neither seems to be any better or cleaner than the other.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is to find a type of readily available casing, and stick with it. That way, you won't have to keep a confusingly huge selection of components on hand (ie, primers and wads). I use Winchester AA's because they used the cheapest where I lived. Now, where I live, the Remington is the cheapest. I know that once my WinAA's start showing signs of wear, I'm going to have to switch over, so right now I've stopped buying components for the AAs.
Once I run out of AA casings, I'll see what the cheapesty shell is and switch over.
My garbage can full has lasted 2 generations of shooters, so they don't owe me anything.

Good luck.
Old August 19, 2001, 09:19 AM   #4
K80Geoff

Reloaders

The Dillon is a magnificent machine but converting it to 28 GA will cost about as much as a MEC 9000. I use MEC 9000s for 12, 20 and 28 and it is a great reloader. A Dillon would cost more than all three of my MEC's.

If you are going to reload 500 shells a month buy a progressive reloader, it will mean far less work and is less prone to mis loading.

28 GA can be difficult to reload. Some hulls do not crimp easily and the machine must be set up properly. ( Hull depth and shot messurement). I would recommend a universal charge bar on any MEC. Costs a few dollars extra but allows more precise shot and powder drops.

Never , NEVER rely on the powder bushing charts. ALWAYS check the powder drops with a good scale. The bushings never drop what the charts say they do.

My $.02. From experience.

Geoff Ross