The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 23, 2010, 12:44 PM   #1
lizziedog1

Semi-Auto Cleaning

Those of you that use semi-auto shotguns, how often do you clean them? Do you clean them eveytime you use them or after so many shells are fired? I have seen all kinds of cleaning frequencies used. I know guys that clean them everytime they take them out, weather they have fired them or not. I know one guy that cleans his once a year. He never has a malfunction either.
Old October 23, 2010, 01:20 PM   #2
Big Bill

Quote:
I know one guy that cleans his once a year.
If he only shoots it once a year, then, you could say, he cleans it everytime he shoots it.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old October 23, 2010, 01:56 PM   #3
zippy13

I keep my auto-loader (R-1100-Trap) broken down in a hard case. Every time it gets shot, the bore gets hit with fuzzy sticks (one for cleaning the other for oiling), the exterior, mag tube and rings get a wipe down and light oiling. Less frequently the bolt comes out (when it's dirty or 500-1000 rounds) and the vent holes cleared. Less frequently all of the innards come out (usually after it's been out in the rain or a dusty day).

I know some shooters who really enjoy disassembling their guns for cleaning, and do it every time they shoot -- I'm not one of them.
Old October 23, 2010, 02:00 PM   #4
DAVID NANCARROW

I clean mine after every outing, mainly because I dont know what the next outing is going to be like so far as how many shots I'll take
Old October 23, 2010, 02:46 PM   #5
PJR

I clean my Beretta 391s every 1,000-1,500 rounds.
Old October 23, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
krimmie

I shoot my 390 sport every week, but usually clean it every other week. When duck season starts, it gets a total breakdown cleaning, and back to the safe it goes till February.
Old October 23, 2010, 05:16 PM   #7
BigJimP

A semi-auto isn't my primary gun / and the only semi-auto I own these days is a Benelli Super Sport.

I thoroughly clean it every time I shoot it / which means taking the barrel off and removing the bolt and the trigger group. The Benelli Inertia system shoots very cleanly - but I just don't feel right if I don't strip it down and clean and lube it every time ( but on the Benelli Super Sport - this is about a 10 min process to thoroughly clean it / and put it back in battery ) ...so its just not a big deal. On some gas guns - its a little more work ...

Cleaning a gun is just maintaining a nice tool / I don't consider it a chore ... I think it also ensures that my guns will last a lot longer.
Old October 24, 2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Deerhunter

I clean mine (almost) every time it is out. If I go out and only shoot 4 or 5 shots thought it I might wait, depending on my schedule. When I go out and put 100+ shots though it I clean it as soon as I can before I go out again. Not because I have to but because I want to.
Old October 26, 2010, 09:49 PM   #9
publius

Depends on which auto you're talking about. Benelli and Beretta don't need it very often. My Rem. 1100 needs it damn near every time you even think about shooting it.
Old October 27, 2010, 11:09 AM   #10
BigJimP

I'm only chuckling Publius .....because I shot my Benelli Super Sport yesterday ....and my buddy was shooting his Rem 1100 ...

As we went back to the vehicles ...after 5 rounds of skeet ... mine was completely broken down ( trigger group, bolt, barrel off and all - cleaned, oiled and put back together in about 10 min ...and he was still wiping on his ...???

.... ( but I didn't rub it in .... much ...) ...
Old October 27, 2010, 11:31 AM   #11
Deerhunter

I am shooting a Browning Maxus. Breaks down pretty fast. I always break it down on the coffee table and watch TV. Only takes a few minutes but I always do it after shooting. Maybe not that day (usually a few days depending on other stuff going on) but definitely before I go back out
Old October 27, 2010, 03:50 PM   #12
RGPM1A

I have a 1970s Remington 1100 and an 11-87 thats 10 or 15 years old - forget when I bought it. Both in 12 gauge. Both with 10,000+ rounds through them. The barrels get cleaned every 200 rounds or so to remove powder and plastic fouling. I normally detail clean them (gas system, barrel/ports and trigger group) after about 400 to 500 rounds of trap, skeet or clays. They can usually go 600 to 800 rounds without a cleaning before they start malfunctioning.