The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2008, 09:46 PM   #1
butta9999

Rust In Sizing die

I have found some rust in my .300 win mag sizing die. I am cleaning the best i can but if i am unable to remove all rust will it effect my brass when sizing. The die is a lyman full length die. I dont want to scrape the walls as i know that will ruin the die.
Old July 25, 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
mikenbarb

If you can see rust that wont come out, I would toss it and buy a new one. Depending how severe the rust is, It could mess the cases up and its a problem waiting to happen. Reloading dies have to be perfect. My main load is .300 Win.Mag. and every time I load them I check every peice of equipment to be sure its in perfect condition. Its alot of bullet to take a chance with.
Old July 25, 2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Shoney

Get the finest emmery cloth and polish the inside of the die. Easiest way is on a split dowel chucked in a drill. Lube the surfaces with gun oil. Use as normal.

Rust is used as a polishing agent in jewelers rouge. The only reason to toss a die is if it is gouging brass, and minor rust will not do that.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 25, 2008, 11:56 PM   #4
totalloser

I have had good luck with gun oil on steel wool pushed on the rust with a dowel. I was afraid to use emery cloth, but I don't know that that fear is justified. A surprising amount of rust will acrue from quite a small pit, and a pit probably won't contact the brass anyhow. Kinda like a pitted barrel barely affects accuracy/velocity unless it's REALLY bad. Worst case scenario with emery cloth/steel wool is one damaged shell. If it doesn't work out, you needed a new die anyhow.
Old July 26, 2008, 01:26 AM   #5
butta9999

will try the steel wool and a little gun oil. I was not too sure as to how far i could go in cleaning it.
Old July 26, 2008, 02:15 AM   #6
Shoney

I guess you have to use a little common sense using emmery cloth, apply light pressure and don't buff for a very long period.

Perhaps that is a problem of mine, presuming people have common sense.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old July 26, 2008, 04:54 AM   #7
butta9999

Anyone who does not have common sense should not be posting on the reloading page. Could do themselves harm
Old July 26, 2008, 03:30 PM   #8
mikenbarb

I based my opinion on the statement that you already tried to clean the rust out and couldnt. Thats why I advised getting a new one. Fine steel wool works well with a good spray penetrant like pb blaster or liquid wrench. Just make sure clean it off good when done. Good luck and let us know how it worked out.
Old July 29, 2008, 04:27 PM   #9
circle141

Rust in die's

Sir.

Use a slotted cleaning tip with a small strip of #600 wet and dry sand paper,
put the tip on a short rod from your cleanig kit in your hand drill, wet the paper with light oil
and pass it in and out of the die two or three times a low speed.

Make sure you take out the decaping rod first. Clean the die and put the decaping rod back in and test it.

Worked for me.

Mike Circle
Old July 30, 2008, 12:04 AM   #10
butta9999

sounds like a plan circle. i have most of it already but wil try.. thanks