The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 8, 2005, 07:57 PM   #1
sabo954

Re-blue questions

I have a firearm that external surfaces were damaged by exposure to some harsh chemicals that container failed. All moving parts are fine, but the metal on the exterior of the barrel and receiver began to rust. I removd the rust, but it damaged the blueing. I took it by the only gun shop open in my area (the very few others were affected by Katrina) and they were going to charge me $175 to have it done, so I said "f this" and decided to do it myself. I have a hobby of refinishing guitars and I figure I can do this.

My question is, what is the best "stuff" to use, and what's this I hear about something called "Dura-Coat"? I do like the idea of making it an OD green finish instead. I know doing this to a firearm has got to be quite different than doing it to a guitar, so any tips would be appreciated.
Old October 8, 2005, 08:22 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Polish the damaged area and use cold bluing. Hot bluing requires are rather expensive investment in equipment.
Old October 8, 2005, 08:42 PM   #3
sabo954

So, if I re-blue as opposed to Dura-Coat or similar option, do I still need to strip the old blueing completely off, or is doing like you said and just polishing it down real good going to do the job?
Old October 9, 2005, 02:49 AM   #4
cntryboy1289

little info for you

First off, welcome to the forum. If you want to use the Duracoat and spray it yourself and have a compressor to use a pant gun or airbrush, you can handle the job. I would beadblast it and park it myself before painting it, but it doesn't have to be done that way for it to work well. If you can have it blasted prior to the painting of the gun, it will provide a better tooth for the paint to adhere to, but if you cannot blast if first, then sand it well to make sure you have all the rust removed first. You have to make sure it is rust and oil free prior to spraying the paint. It can be done and Lauer's has some excellent customer service folks that answer any of your questions. Give them a call and ask them anything you need to ask about, they will do their best to help you out. If you get worried about it, relax, it isn't hard to do the job very well and the results will surprise you when you take your time and follow their instructions. If you get to where you need some more help with it, PM me or email me at [email protected]. I am in Columbus which is around 3 hours north of you. You can do this yourself, but I wouldn't try to do a reblue job yourself without having access to a buffer and the blueing tanks. Cold blue would suffice in a pinch, but the Duracoat to me is the way to go and you can forget about the rust ever coming back once you are done.
Old October 10, 2005, 11:48 AM   #5
sabo954

Thanks for the good advice
Old October 10, 2005, 02:38 PM   #6
Logs

I have had good luck with VANS gun blue. Comes with a cleaner / degreaser. Heat the metal up with a hair dryer, then use a clean toothbrush with the blueing. Works great......
Mike