The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old August 9, 2015, 01:34 PM   #1
stubbicatt

Long morning... success at last

I casted up a bunch of 510 grain .460" Hoch Nose Pour bullets this morning. Had a lot of poor fills and frosted bullets. Brought the alloy down to just under 700 degrees and used the RCBS ladle to flux with beeswax, and once the alloy was all cleaned up, got some decent bullets. I haven't counted, but I'd guess around 100 or so. That's a lot of alloy.

I've been dipping them in bullet lube, which works most of the time pretty well. I believe I'll try pan lubing this time however.

This ought to keep my High Wall fed for a little while anyways. I must say, one can really enjoy his day at the range, and only fire 15 or 20 rounds. I've been loading 1.5F Old Eynsford at 55 grains, and I haven't fouled out yet shooting 20 rounds, and recoil is not severe. I think I may have found a winner here.
Old August 9, 2015, 02:02 PM   #2
Beagle333

I cast maybe 30# yesterday, and I'm really wanting to today..... but it's even hotter than yesterday. We are only about 2 degrees away from triple digits right now. It is very humid, so I'm sure the heat index has gotta be really impressive.

It's really just too hot to even sit in the shade, in front of the fan, and cast anything.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old August 9, 2015, 02:07 PM   #3
stubbicatt

Oh, I'm going to try some LDPE wads this time to see if it has any appreciable effect on fouling.