The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2008, 04:48 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Misfires

Anyone else want to "fess up" to having often misfires, granted this is a very deep subject taking into account firearm, condition of firearm, quality of reload or factory ammo.
Just sent in my 2 year old MP40 (S&W) for this recent problem. I'm actually hoping that they find it's the Striker Spring being weak, and not my "Quality Reloads". Now, I did not say anything about my reloading. I'm no expert by any means, BUT I have watched very carefully how my primers are seated.
SN
Old July 30, 2008, 05:41 PM   #2
VaFisher

No pun intended but why didn't you simply try some factory ammo to see for yourself if the gun is the problem.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:10 PM   #3
minnfinn

Are you using the same brand / type of primers as recommended by the powder manufacturer? Are you seeing a complete strike, light stike or no strike on the primer when this happens?
If it's a light or no strike, then there is something going on with firing pin mechanism. If a normal strike, then maybe you go a bad batch of primers and try another batch or another comparable primer from another manufacturers. On one of my revolvers even when I first got it, I had to switch to another manufacturer's primer that now consistently fires in this pistol. It may in my case been a strike force that was right on the edge and the Remington 2 1/2 I use in my .44 mag fires 100%.
Old July 30, 2008, 07:48 PM   #4
amamnn

If you have not seated your primers more than .003" below flush, you might want to talk to a tech a SW. They are very helpful and in my experience, SW is very liberal about what constitutes a warranty repair. BTW, I have the same pistol and it shoots fine, as does my M&P 9. Neither one seems very picky about what I shoot in it as long as I don't under charge, which I did when I tried plated bullets.
Old July 30, 2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Hawg

Never(knock on wood)had a reload misfire.
Old July 31, 2008, 05:37 AM   #6
DWARREN123

Never had a reload misfire but have had a couple of factory rounds misfire.