The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2007, 12:57 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

Problems with 22.Hornet reloads!

I am haveing a problem with my Hornet reloads. Iam using the same componets. 35 grain V max bullets on used Sellier&Bellot brass over 10.6 grains of Lil Gun powder.The only difference being is that I used Tite group power before.I am shooting a CZ-527FS with a 20.5in barrel.with my old load I could count on 0.75 in groups at 150 yds.Now my groups are an in. or betterwith more that a few flyers.It was suggested by a shooting friend of mine that maybe I should use small rifle mag primers.Icould sure use some help on this.Thanks in advance ELMO.
Old November 2, 2007, 02:34 PM   #2
tyrajam

Did you buy the brass used? Hornet brass is so thin and stretches so easily I never could get more than 3-4 loads per case. Using small rifle mag primers could help get a more uniform burn, but I would back off a little on the powder before I tried. I have used lil' gun with hornet loads and like it a lot, but if you had a good load worked up with another powder you might just want to stick with what works.
Old November 2, 2007, 07:46 PM   #3
ELMOUSMC

Hornet load problems

I bought 200 rounds from Cabelas of Seiller&Bellot for plinking,the brass is on its 3rd reload.The brass is fire formed to my rifle and I only neck size it.what would you suggest as a powder load or should I go back to Lil Gun thanks for your input
Old November 2, 2007, 08:31 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Iaim havving a haerd tyme witch reeding you'res potss.

I did enjoy betterwith however. For a second it reminded me of Mrs. Buttersworth commercials where the bottle moved and talked. LOL
Old November 2, 2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Tom Matiska

I haven't tinkered with small pistol primers yet in my Hornet, but it is on my "to do" list. It is an old trick that modern Hornet reloaders are starting to re-discover.
Old November 3, 2007, 05:44 AM   #6
Martyn4802

I'm using small pistol primers in my Hornets, and Remington brass. I personally think the load of 10 grains of Lil Gun is too light. 13 grains seems to be the norm. But, H-110 is the most accurate powder in both of my Hornets, 10.2 grains with Sierra's 45 grain Hornet bullet. I crimp bullets too, with a Lee Hornet crimp die.
The hornet is not an easy round to load for, and using good components is a must, along with the right techniques.

Martyn
Old November 6, 2007, 09:54 PM   #7
Brownie

I also agree about the hornet brass being thin and have found that using the small pistol primer has made a different. I believe it has to do with the brass having a weak grip on the bullet and the small rifle primers cause the bullet to move out some before the powder has time to burn consistently. I would think the magnum primers would cause more trouble but I have never tried so I can’t say from experience. Another thing that has increased accuracy for me is the lee crimp die but I think it also shortens the life of my brass so I dont ues it much any more.
Old November 8, 2007, 07:45 PM   #8
flashhole

I would suggest two things.

One, make sure your powder charges are consistent. LilGun is a good powder but not a very forgiving powder.

Two, try a milder primer. You want the powder to be the propellant, not the primer. I suggest CCI BR-4 primers. They're about the mildest out there.

I don't load for the Hornet but I do load for the Fireball. I like LilGun but see accuracy deviation with small differences in charge weight. I like to use the Lee powder cups when loading the Fireball. LilGun and RE#7 give me great results, RE#7 being a little more forgiving with deviation in charge weight.

I also like a mild crimp. Some deem it an unnecessary step but to my way of tinking it provides consistent loads and with these small cartridges consistency is very important.

Are you ready for civil war?