The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 5, 2005, 07:54 PM   #1
locked'n'cocked

MG Prices

Ok. lets say for a minute that the MG registry was re-opened. what would happen to prices? would it cost the same to get a full auto AR-15/M-16 as it would to get a semi? i was just using that specific fun as an example. it could be thompsons or anything like that.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old August 5, 2005, 10:22 PM   #2
Third_Rail

More often than not, the prices would be LESS than the semi-auto. Ever look at how simple an open bolt SMG is?
Old August 5, 2005, 10:57 PM   #3
locked'n'cocked

really? i knew they would be a lot less than they are now but i never thought less than semi-auto. to be totally honest i have never seen a fully automatic weapon in person.

"Make haste, slowly." Wyatt Earp
Old August 5, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4
pomofo

I've seen prices quoted for Chinese AK's for sale to law enforcement for around $500, and Ultimax 100's for around $1000. However, if the registry were reopened I would think that the sudden increase in demand would raise prices to some midpoint between the current LE price and the current civilian price, at least until more weapons can be supplied.
Old August 5, 2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Third_Rail

Again, I don't think you're correct. Think of it this way: suddenly, US makers and makers abroad don't have to make special new semi-auto parts. WWII parts and later that are autosears, etc. can be used with the original bolts and receivers. Suddenly you've cut most of the cost right off the firearm.

Can you imagine how cheap a Sten MkII or MkIII would be? $150, tops.
Old August 6, 2005, 01:13 AM   #6
kozak6

I was just looking at Marstar's selection of automatic weapons (they are based in Canada), and their selection of automatic weapons is damn cheap. They have open bolt SMG's from $425-$600 (Thompson M1A1's, Ppsh41's, etc) and M2HB and MP5 variants for around $2000.

Wouldn't it be sweet if prices were that low? And hell, that's in Canadian dollars too!
Old August 6, 2005, 01:44 AM   #7
3 weelin geezer

Third rail, I see an open bolt gun to be one that just slam fires intentionally. Yes?
Old August 6, 2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Third_Rail

Correct. They are, without a doubt, the simplest firearms that use cartridges, moreso than single shots by far. A machinist with the access to materials, etc., that he or she needs to make a simple open-bolt could have one made in literally less than 5 hours.
Old August 18, 2005, 09:06 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...just looking at Marstar's selection of automatic weapons..." The FA market up here is extremely limited. Unless you had the permit prior to Jan 1, 1978, you can't have any FA firearm. Marstar can only sell to Canadians who owned them prior to '78. You'd have to get ATF approval to import and Marstar won't do anything until they verify the paperwork with the ATF.
Old August 19, 2005, 12:55 PM   #10
John2

Prices would remain essentially the same for M16, G3s the like. To go from an AR15 to M16 would cost the manufacturer maybe $50.00 more. It would be offered as an option. The lower prices you see for LE/Military is because the semi-auto market bears the additional cost. The market for semis is far greater than the "approved" FA market. The lower price therefore is an enticement to LE/Mil purchasing agents in a highly competitive market. Don't hold your breath though. Strickly an academic exercise in frustration.