The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 18, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Last Escape Pod

SKS or AK?

So the SKS and AK are both Russian weapons. They both fire the same round and are known for their rugged reliability (they fire better when filled with the mud of a third world country ). They're also generally cheap, the most quoted price I hear for these rifles is about $300.

So which rifle would you recommend? Furthermore, what manufacturer/nation should I buy the rifle from? I'm not very familiar with SKS or AK manufacturers. I mean, I wouldn't know the difference between a Romanian and Yugoslavian rifle.

Thanks for any helpful information.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:06 PM   #2
Baylorattorney

Ak. It's safer and more reliable IMO. I was right next to an SKS when my buddy set it down against the wall in a corner of the house butt down barrel up and BOOM. MY BUDDY ALWAYS WAS WRECKLESS, but that sold me against SKS.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:36 PM   #3
MagnumWill

I would own an SKS purely for the fact that it's an SKS, and when left alone will make a great little truck gun. However, it seems like the trend is if you have an SKS, make it as AK-like as possible (detachable mags, synthetic stocks etc.).

If you're just looking for a shooter to have fun with and pump countless rounds through, I would go with an AK. I have an AES-10B RPK from Century, and contrary to popular belief it's fantastic. Even the newer WASR-10/63's that are coming out it seems like they're problems have been going away a little bit.

I think for a starter, go pick up a Romanian AK. If you turn out to be an AK47 fanatic at that point, then you may want to look into milled-receiver AKs and Arsenal conversion AKs, which are pretty expensive but are known as the Mercedes of AKs. There's also a wealth of information at theakforum.net.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
PigFarmer

I own an SKS.....

But if I did it all over again I would have passed and bought an AK. I picked up the SKS for a steal of a deal from a buddy that needed the cash. And if he ever asks I'll give it back for the same price. But I like the AK much more.
Old January 18, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
tahunua001

having shot both I would say SKS.
the SKS ergos just agreed with me more.
SKS was a more stable platform.
SKS felt like a more rugged design

AK has a better aftermarket selection.
AK has cheaper mags.
AK has that battle rifle look to it.

pick your poison. if I could still pick up a SKS for $100 I would do it in a heartbeat but that gravy train dried up long ago
Old January 18, 2012, 04:14 PM   #6
RetiredMajor

I just went through a similar debate and ended up buying a Romanian WASR from Classic Arms. I got this package just last week.

http://www.classicarms.us/semi-auto%20rifles.htm

It's about halfway down the page and is the Romania AK-MV Shooters Package for $469.99. I am very pleased with the quality and fit of the rifle. I only fired it once so far and put 200 rounds through it. It was flawless.

The price was right and I love the gun.

Best of luck!
Major
Old January 18, 2012, 04:49 PM   #7
checkmyswag

What was said before. Get whichever you like and enjoy nearly as is. Don't turn a sks into an AK or an AK into an AR please.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:18 PM   #8
Mosinka

Another vote for the SKS. My favorite rifle.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:21 PM   #9
USMCGrunt

The great thing about an SKS is that they were generally put together by people that know how they should be put together. The drunken monkeys at Century as far as I know, have never put together an SKS. Right now, I have 3, a Russian, Yugo and a Norinco. I would say the Russian is the best finish, the Yugo has some pretty neat (albeit useless) features like the grenade launcher, sights and night sights, and the Norinco is a bit more sleek with it's spike bayonet rather than the blade bayonets of the other models. My Chinese SKS does have the pinned barrel rather than the threaded barrel of the European design but I really haven't seen that as being a problem.
They are all built like tanks and having been designed from a scaled down PTRS41 anti-tank rifle, really are over-built for the M43 cartridge. As far as problems go, because a lot of them come covered in cosmoline, you really need to get in there and get that stuff out, especially in the chambers, firing pin channel and gas tube. If you don't get it out of the chambers, you are looking at failures to extract. If you don't get it all out of the firing pin channel, you may have a slam fire. If you don't get it out of the gas tube, now you can have short stroking problems. Once you have them cleaned out though, in most cases, they are VERY reliable and rugged. The only problems I generally hear about concern the 59/66 and 59/66A1 Yugo rifles. Some of the rougher condition rifles may have corroded gas valves that can lead to undergassing problems so if you go the Yugo route, make sure the gas valve is in good condition. Other problems tend to pop up when you try to bubba them and make them into something else. Aftermarket magazines tend to leave a lot of folks with feeding problems so I would stick with the issue factory 10 round fixed magazine and use the stripper clips they were designed for.
Now when it comes to AKs, there is a pretty wide variety out there ranging from excellent quality like Saiga and Arsenal brands all the way to drunken monkey rifles sold by Century. It's all going to depend on who you got your rifle from and what kind of quality went into its construction. Keep in mind, higher quality tends to mean high prices as well. Then there is the milled receivers of the original AK-47 or the stamped receivers of the AKM to decide on. Milled tends to be more accurate but stamped tends to be lighter in weight. Then there is the caliber. Do you want the original 7.62 round, the lighter 5.45mm round of the AK-74 or a 5.56mm version? Do you want a folding stock (decide between underfolding or side folding since there is both out there) or a fixed stock and when it comes to stocks, do you want that in plastic or wood? Like I said, a LOT of choices out there.
Now the one thing that the AK has over the SKS is firepower. 30 round mags are standard but then there are also 40 round mags as well as 75 round drums to be had as well. The trade-off is that the controls of the AK tend to be not nearly as ergonomic as the SKS and the accuracy of the AK tends to be a bit looser than the SKS as well with all things being equal.
Really, the best thing to do is just to break down and get both designs. Hell, I couldn't make up my mind which I like better so I have samples of both weapon types but I think if it were me looking for the better accuracy I would go with the SKS but if I wanted to burn lots of ammo, it would be the AK.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:22 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

It really is a personal choice. I own a Russian 1954 Tula SKS. Great gun. Plenty accurate, reliable and just fun to shoot. To me, an AK always just looks some how cheap to me. Not saying they aren't good guns, I just think a SKS looks more solid.
Old January 18, 2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Baylorattorney

Something else you might want to consider, a serious undertaking. If you are good with tools, have a good basis of knowledge on the gun, and are confident and have time enough you can get a kit for either or and build one yourself or with some help. Sounds crazy, but I did it and had never done one before. Came out solid reliable, but I did pancake a rivet or two. Was a learning experience. Enjoyed it.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:28 PM   #12
Onward Allusion

Quote:
Last Escape Pod
SKS or AK
It depends on what you want one for. AKs are fun, lots of accessories for tricking out, inexpensive mags, dang reliable, and accurate enough. Now, for a couple of hundred less, you can get a SKS. Pretty much the same thing but no removable mags.

However, if I were going into battle, I'd pick a SKS over an AK just for the fact that one can carry more ammo with a SKS. Stripper clips and a fixed 20 round mag will do the trick.
Old January 18, 2012, 08:37 PM   #13
abelacres

Go ahead and buy them both
Old January 18, 2012, 09:20 PM   #14
1Hobie

Never owned a AK but one thing that I experienced with my Norinco SKS was a tendency to double or worse with civilian ammo. I came across this enhanced firing pin set-up from http://www.murraysguns.com/sksown.htm.

It works well, easy to install and works as advertised. I talked to Mr. Murray and he seems like a good ol' Texas man that stands by his product. Brownell's carrys them. +1 for him and his product.

Regards,

Hobie
Old January 18, 2012, 09:28 PM   #15
chadstrickland

I agree with Taylor attorney to a degree.

To me the kits where fun and I enjoyed doing it. ( using pre bent nodakspud receivers )

But I also spent more on tools then I would have a brand new rifle. The upside to that is I can now build a whole lot more if I wanted to. Also another advantage is that you have a real thorough understanding of the rifle.

( edit ) I built a akm not sks
Two weapons that was designed by the same man still in use by the us military 100 years later...1911 and m2...is there anything that comes close.....lol annd maybe perhaps a sig sauer p226 tac ops edition..
Old January 18, 2012, 09:29 PM   #16
arch308

My Norinco SKS takes AK mags. I've got a selection of 30 & 40 rnd mags that work great. Only drawback is that the bolt won't stay open after the last round. I can live with that. Bought it many years ago for $159. Reciently sold my AK74. Really didn't care for the feel of it.
Old January 19, 2012, 12:12 AM   #17
TheFineLine

I bought a Century Polish Underfolder AKM and my brother picked up one of their Romanian WASRs. Although there were some other CAI's that had canted sights and blocks, these two were well built. I'd recommend picking one out in lieu of ordering if you want to go entry AK. If you don't mind spending a couple hundred more and want/need to order, go Arsenal. I put 1000 rounds thru mine, 200 thru his, no failures, just fun. The WASR's wood is uglier than a bag of buttholes, but it's a shooter and refinishing is cheap. The laminate handguards look great on mine, AND there's also the cool factor of the underfolder to take into account.
Old January 19, 2012, 01:42 AM   #18
bamaranger

ya know...........

Consider that the AK replaced the SKS, essentially. That tells you what the Com-Bloc thought of the SKS. Yeah I know that our civilian/sporting use is not the same as the commie military, but the SKS was a stop gap design, superceded by the AK.

Personally, the SKS is to big to be a carbine, though it uses what could be called a carbine ctg with the x39, and the x39 cartridge too underpowered to be considered a rifle. So it is a misfit in my book.

Great $100 dollar beater back in the day, but not worth what they go for now.
Old January 19, 2012, 01:44 AM   #19
raftman

Had the same question... I've found that by far the best thing to do, hands down, is to get both. Each has their set of advantages and disadvantages so why be forced to choose if one set of advantages doesn't necessarily outweigh the other?

As far as manufacturers go, there's not really such a thing as a bad SKS. Russian, Chinese, Yugoslavian, etc they're all pretty good in terms of reliability and durability. It would probably come down to your preferences... the Russian ones tend be the most "refined" (if such a term can be applied to the SKS) in terms of finish and construction but will cost more, the Chinese ones will be more affordable, the Yugo ones can be cheap too, but are heavier and longer than the other SKS's and lack a chrome-lined bore.

With AK's, you have more of a spread. Some of the cheaper ones, like the Century's Romanian WASR will have poorer fit and finish, more rough spots, sharp edges, roughly-cut mag wells (and thus mag wobble), canted sights, etc, at the other end you have rather expensive ones like the Arsenal AK's (priced in the $700's) but the quality is pretty much as good as it gets as far as AK's go, better accuracy, better fit and finish, etc.

Last edited by raftman; January 19, 2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old January 19, 2012, 04:13 AM   #20
imsobored152

I like zastava's variation of the ak. Too bad it only takes single stacks, unless you modify it

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using tapatalk
Old January 19, 2012, 07:46 AM   #21
AKsRul.e

As was mentioned , all SKSs were built on military production lines ,
while many AKs are made from parts or built as "sporter" rifles and then
modified.

The cheap SKSs are a distant memory.

I personally would only buy a Russian refurb SKS from the 1950s.
The excellent ones run $400 and UP , but are worth it IMHO.

( I'm looking for my Birth year Gun )
Old January 19, 2012, 07:54 AM   #22
HALL,AUSTIN

Russian SKSs are great rifles.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:00 AM   #23
MOshooter65202

I've always been interested in the AK's,I remember when Walmart sold the AK47s for a hundred something?
My wifes' uncle bought a SKS at a gun show around 80.00 back in the mid nineties,my Dad and I went out to shoot with him he brought his SKS.

That SKS was down right dangerous,it would sometimes fire 2 or 3 by squeezing the trigger once? Then after having problems he pulled the bolt back to feed another round,that SKS slam fired about 3 feet in front of us into the ground lol....He then asked if I wanted to shoot it???
I said NO!!! lol That's the extent of my SKS experience,I'll stick with the AR's in 5.56 and 308win...ymmv
Old January 19, 2012, 09:32 AM   #24
USMCGrunt

Uh yeah, might wanna try cleaning the cosmoline out of it before firing. If you don't get the cosmoline out of the firing pin channel, you are going to have slam fire problems. Not a fault of the weapon but operator failure instead.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:38 AM   #25
WV_gunner

They are both similar priced. A cheap never fired SKS is around $300-$400 and a cheap never fired AK is $400-$500. Only way they get cheaper is if you can find a deal. My dad recently bought 2 SKS rifles from an old friend for $400 for both. Also came with 2 extra stocks, 2 slings, and a bunch of ammo. One was completely stock and never fired, dad sold it for $300. The other had a synthetic stock and scope, traded it for a $700 (I believe) crossbow, a lot of bolts, a case that cost $100, and a $100. Needless to say, these old cheap military rifles are worth some money around here.